IMDb > "M*A*S*H" The Nurses (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"M*A*S*H" The Nurses (1976)

« Prev | 101 of 251 Episodes | Next »

Amazing

Author: shygoat from Cleveland, Ohio, United States
5 June 2007

This is one of my favorite episodes. The focus on the nurses and their relationship with Margaret worked to great effect; I particularly felt the high-tension moments were excellently written and acted, and we're shown a side of Hot Lips that we're not quite used to when she breaks into tears. It's a truly moving moment.

It's episodes like this that make me wish that there were more like it, pulling away from the main characters and focusing on side characters or semi-returning ones like the nurses or Sidney Freedman. I feel like we learn more about main characters in this way; while most encounters between Hawkeye and Frank are sure to bring about fine comedy or a powerful moral clash, it's seeing them around the lesser-knows that truly brings out who they are. This episode did wonders for developing Margaret.

Feels like a spin off pilot

Author: mideleon from NY, NY
28 August 2013

This is a terrific episode, but it's unusual in that it focuses on a group of nurses who we've never seen before. The fact that these characters are so strongly written, well defined and played by a good cast suggests to me that this episode might have been a spin off pilot for Margaret's character and the nurses. In addition, none of the usual nurses are seen. Based on the quality of the episode, a series based on these characters might have actually worked.

The main plot concerns Margaret's relationship with her nurses in general. The B-story focuses on Hawk and BJ helping one of the nurses to spend the night with her new soldier husband. There's even a C-story about another nurse becoming emotionally burned out.

The episode was written by Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, so it's not surprising it contains strong female characters. And even if it wasn't meant to be spin off pilot, it still works as a great episode from a great series.