IMDb > "Lost" The Other 48 Days (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Lost" The Other 48 Days (2005)

« Prev | 32 of 118 Episodes | Next »

The greatest episode of Lost ever?

Author: gavhicks2000 from United Kingdom
12 April 2006

As you can judge by the title of this comment, I hold this episode in high regard. The only thing that plays on my mind now is, can Lost really ever get any better than this? This has to be the benchmark for all TV programmes from now on, not only is this the greatest episode of Lost to date it is also in my humble opinion the greatest episode of any programme ever. The characters, the story, the twists and lastly and possibly the best attribute the music score, it is simply breath taking. I have never known a TV show like this ever, i was such a huge 24 fan and still am but it does not compare to this (sorry Keither). Obviously I do not want to spoil anything for all you fans out there who have not seen the 2nd series yet so i will not mention names,places, stories or character arcs. Just be prepared to be amazed!

I'll leave you with this for now,

Me, well, I'm a man of faith. Do you really think all this...is an accident? That we, a group of strangers survived, many of us with just superficial injuries? Do you think we crashed on this place by coincidence, especially this place? We were brought here for a purpose, for a reason, all of us. Each one of us was brought here for a reason.

Getting to know the other group

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
3 December 2010

In a brilliantly frustrating move, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, who share the writing duties on this episode, choose to ignore the immediate ramifications of Abandoned's tragic climax (the death of Shannon at the hands of Ana Lucia), preferring instead to look back on what has shaped up to be an interesting new plot element: the survivors from the tail section of Oceanic 815, first seen at the end of the season's second episode and incorrectly assumed to be the Others.

Ditching the usual flashback structure, The Other 48 Days is strictly Island-based and does exactly what it says on the tin: revisit the events of the show up to this point, but from the point of view of Ana Lucia and her group. We get to see how she, Eko, Bernard and Libby got onto the beach and struggled to realize what had happened to them, how they eventually came to terms with the fact that they were left on their own and how Goodwin (Brett Cullen), an undercover spy for the Others revealed to be dead in the present time-line a couple of episodes ago, tried to deceive them. All that, plus previously established events leading up to the sad conclusion of Abandoned.

The bold narrative decision to leave out the flashbacks pays off in spades, as the episode's plot - itself a collation of back-story segments, minus the off-Island bits - offers plenty of insights into this new group, clearly establishing it as very different from the main survivors we have familiarized with so far. With no camp, radio, Rousseau and whatnot, these people are truly alone, shaped by brutal experiences. Hints of Ana Lucia's predisposition for violence have already been shown earlier in the season (this also applies to Eko, although both actors' past roles have contributed to this general impression), and this alternative viewpoint provides viable explanations, laying the foundation for character arcs to be explored in future story lines. In short, what could easily have been a filler episode is actually an essential chapter in the Lost saga, adding to the show's richness and complexity, as the ending (a reshot version of the fatal Ana Lucia/Shannon encounter) simply but powerfully proves. On this evidence, the next few ones will be very much worthwhile.

Utterly, Utterly Brilliant.

Author: Freedomisanillusion from Tasmania, Australia
6 May 2006

I love Lost. It's not only of the greatest shows on TV at the moment, but it's also one of the best shows created. Any show which can have a character walk on screen and merely say "The Others are coming," leading you to veritably wet yourself, is awesome.

This is easily the best episode of the series so far. It's harrowing, Action-packed, dramatic and tense.

The opening is brilliant, fooling us into thinking we may merely be watching an ad for a holiday package, and (literally) dropping the tail section on us.

I believe the episode also succeeds in the way it doesn't contain any flashbacks (not that there's time, although I suppose the episode is really nothing more than one big flashback) and it lets us see more of the Others - and they are scary.

Brilliant Episode, can't wait to put it on my iPod.

The Other 48 Days

Author: ametaphysicalshark from prejudicemadeplausible.wordpress.com
12 September 2008

"The Other 48 Days" is widely regarded as one of the best "Lost" episodes ever written, and although I certainly saw it as a masterpiece when it first aired, probably because of how exciting it was and also due to the quality of the production and direction, and the score by Michael Giacchino. It's basically something like the entire first season of "Lost" except with the tail-enders rather than the fuselage folk condensed to one 43 minute episode.

Having gotten a lot of character development in for these characters in the past few episodes the episode is allowed to move at a fast pace and show us all the important events from the tailies' perspective without feeling too rushed, but there are some outstanding character moments as well. Certainly it's a better 'Others take people' episode than "Homecoming" from the first season.

Sadly, there's one thing that deflates this episode- Michelle Rodriguez. Note that I say Michelle Rodriguez and not Analucia. I used to think I hated Analucia but the more I watch these episodes the more I realize that although I find certain aspects of how she was written unsatisfactory ("you hittin' dat?") it is Rodriguez's performance that completely ruins the character. The only scene where the writing is done justice here by Rodriguez is towards the end of the episode when Eko finds her crying by a pond. It's both one of the best-written scenes in the episode and one of the best-acted. The rest of the time Rodriguez pulls her typical nonsense:

- "Huh, huh what you lookin' at? I'm tough!!! I'm tough!!!!" - *flirtatious smile to show vulnerable side* - "I is takin' charge!!!!" - *phony and affected 'devastated' look* - "Huh, huh what you lookin' at? I'm tough!!! I'm tough!!!!"

Repeat ad nauseam.

Analucia is actually a character with some scope and depth, and not a particularly clichéd one either, but Rodriguez betrays the writers' hard work with annoying, pathetic one-note performances.

"The Other 48 Days" is tremendously well-acted for the most part, though, and director Eric Laneuville is second only to Jack Bender on this show, and some of his shots are absolutely breathtaking, including the magnificent opening. The script by Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof here accomplishes a lot and is really very good, it's also one of only two episodes not to feature on-island and off-island stories, but one on-going narrative (in this case technically a flashback, in "The Constant" a weaving-together of flashbacks and 'current' events into one narrative). An excellent episode but not an outstanding one, mainly due to Rodriguez's one-note acting.

8.5/10

the tail section survivors' lives

Author: marv from Romania
2 August 2008

This episode feels like a much needed exposure of the other castaways' fate. Step by step, from the first day up to the present, we see how the people from the tail section of the plane adjusted to the island's perils. Smartly written, intense, enthralling, it fully captures the tension that gradually sets into the tail section survivors' lives as they separately have their own experiences on the island up to the climactic point where they finally clash with the front section survivors. Fast paced, engaging, this episode will sure keep you on the edge of your seat. In my opinion this is the best season 2 episode so far. Enjoy!

Forty-Eight Days of the Lives of the Other Survivors

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
17 April 2006

The tail section of the airplane crashes in the ocean, and the survivors reach the beach. Leaded by Ana Lucia and Goodwin (Brett Cullen), they are attacked by "The Others" while sleeping at the beach and some of them are abducted, including two children. Ana Lucia suspects that Nathan (Josh Randall) is infiltrated in the group and a few days later she finds the truth. After forty-eight days, they meet Shannon and Sayid in a tragic way.

Here in Brazil, the Second Season of "Lost" is still on the episode number seven, which discloses the forty-eight days of the lives of the tail section survivors and their brutalization process. Their lives were indeed tougher than the other group, explaining the reason why Jin, Michael and Sawyer were so badly treated on their first contact. Now only on next Monday I will be able to see what happened with Shannon. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Not Available"

Note: On 28 March 2013, I saw this episode again.

"No, WE are the survivors of Oceanic flight 815"

Author: gridoon2016
14 April 2009

"The Other 48 Days" is one of the most innovative and unusual episodes of LOST. In only slightly more than 40 minutes, we get almost the entire story of the survivors from the tail end of Oceanic flight 815, from the moment of the crash to the moment that closes the previous episode, "Abandoned" (Ana Lucia accidentally shooting Shannon). The content is such that it doesn't allow for any slow moments, and yet we get a pretty good insight on why Ana Lucia and Eko were so aggressive and edgy when they first met Jin, Sawyer and Michael. A masterfully done episode, with a suspenseful spy/infiltration sub-plot, that only loses a point because the ending just brings things full-circle without packing a punch as memorable as that of the very similar Season 3 episode, "Expose" (which is one reason I believe that "Expose" is a slightly better episode, although "The Other 48 Days" has the more interesting characters). *** out of 4.