IMDb > "Lost" Outlaws (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Lost: Outlaws (#1.16)"

"Lost" Outlaws (2005)

« Prev | 16 of 117 Episodes | Next »

"That's why the Sox will never win the series."

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
5 November 2010

Continuing the show's balancing act, the mythology-heavy Homecoming is followed by a character piece, the intriguingly titled Outlaws, a genuine class act that boasts two regular Abrams collaborators behind the camera (director Jack Bender and writer Drew Goddard, who later came up with Cloverfield) and fine work from Josh Holloway, whose portrayal of Sawyer is the focus of the episode.

The edgy conman has a good reason to be angry this time, as a wild boar came into his tent during the night. When he goes after it, he hears a whisper: "It'll come back around." He's joined by Kate for another expedition, during which each of the two discovers some of the other's dark secrets.

These are partly covered in the flashbacks, which expand on the revelation in Confidence Man that Sawyer got his alias from the man who ruined his family (both his parents died, although the other Sawyer wasn't directly involved). Determined to find him, Sawyer is contacted by a former associate (Robert Patrick), who tells him the man he's looking for is currently in Australia. While waiting to finish the job, Sawyer has a chance encounter with a man in a bar and starts a conversation about fixing mistakes and how some men deserve to suffer. The man in question is none other than Jack's father, Christian.

While character development is the primary focus of the episode, the presence of John Terry in the flashbacks adds to the notion of destiny that has featured in previous episodes (most notably Claire's back-story), while simultaneously allowing for truly great Sawyer material, with Holloway getting another welcome chance to relish the character's darker side, even in a supposedly harmless scene like the drinking game with Kate. Also, it's nice to see Robert Patrick on villainous duties again after his more sympathetic turns in The Sopranos and The X-Files. Too bad it's his only appearance on the show...

That's Why the Sox Will Never Win the Series

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
11 April 2006

James "Sawyer" Ford wakes up from a nightmare with a boar inside his tent. He finds his canvas in the woods, but is attacked by the animal. He decides to chase the boar with Kate Austen following its track in the forest. Along their hunting, Sawyer recalls his dark past since he was a child until his final revenge the against conman that destroyed his family.

In "Outlaws", the life of Sawyer is disclosed and showed how he was deceived by Hibbs (Robert Patrick) and why he is such a crook. The trailing and hunting of the boar is just reasonable, but the past of Sawyer is interesting. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Outlaws"

Note: On 22 March 2013, I saw this episode again.

Stunning character study

Author: ametaphysicalshark from prejudicemadeplausible.wordpress.com
23 July 2008

"Outlaws" continues to grow in my estimation every single time I see it. Although "Confidence Man" will perhaps always be the more respected and admired season one Sawyer-centric episode, I find "Outlaws" an even more compelling and fascinating character study and what's more- it is one of the best scripts written to date for the series in my opinion.

The story that the main island events are based around is utterly ludicrous on paper, but turns into much more thanks to the evocative and intelligent script by Drew Goddard, an extremely talented scriptwriter known outside "Lost" for his much-praised episodes for "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and his box office success "Cloverfield". Aside from a couple of rough moments (very) early in the episode I simply cannot find any serious flaws in this astonishing script. The depth and insight into Sawyer's character and the development of the mythology of the character is outstanding here. Essentially, "Outlaws" is a silly episode on paper: Sawyer hunts a boar and in flashbacks he gets tricked into killing a guy. The end result is filled with memorable dialogue and insightful character development- note especially the brilliantly-photographed, well-directed, and brilliantly-written scene where Sawyer encounters Christian Shepard in an Australian bar. When I first saw it I could not wait for it to end but I was utterly entranced this time around as I saw more of where Goddard was going with the scene.

"Outlaws" is purely a character-based episode, highly refreshing after the outrageously indulgent and silly if watchable "Homecoming". Goddard's script is great, but the episode is a landmark to me on "Lost" because John Bartley's cinematography works brilliantly with Jack Bender's work as director here, creating what is perhaps the first episode of "Lost" to feature genuinely arresting visuals.

An episode I originally regarded as shallow filler, came to see as a poor, shallow attempt at characterization, and finally came to absolutely adore on this viewing, a further viewing of "Outlaws" may cause me to regret writing this review, but as I write this I firmly believe that this is a truly great television script brought to life stunningly well by the crew and actors.

A Good Example of a "Diamond in the Rough"

Author: Jonathan Yu (pointgiven51) from Anaheim, CA
17 July 2006

This episode is my favorite, having become so rather surprisingly.

Its simple set up - that of Sawyer setting out to slay a boar with a vendetta - seems grounded in ridiculousness. After all, how can a pig hold a grudge? This little task turns into a deeper journey, a pleasing respite from the Lost story arc. It certainly outperforms your expectations.

Sawyer's journey with Kate turns out comedy - as the script allows the two characters to alternatively bounce off and spark at each other - and development, as Sawyer's tragic past is further explored and his persona softened. It is hard not to build a lot of sympathy for what happens to him.

I highly recommend this episode for viewers and hope that they will anticipate it. However don't skip to it, or else you'll miss a little back story shading that is essential to the Sawyer character.

More of Sawyer's past

Author: gandalf_a_1999 from Australia
29 April 2007

Sawyer hitting the boar at the start and the boar getting revenge later on by knocking Sawyer to the ground from behind added some amusement to this episode.

Sawyer's past is revealed as he runs into an old friend who he threatened to kill after a job gone wrong (guest star Patrick) but he has some vital information on the man Sawyer has been hunting, another con man like himself.

Charlie also goes wild with his own attack on Ethan.

A nice fill in ep focusing on Sawyer's past through more flashbacks and his personal grudge against a boar who he believes is stalking him.