IMDb > "Lost in Space" Kidnapped in Space (1967) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Lost in Space" Kidnapped in Space (1967)

« Prev | 63 of 84 Episodes | Next »

Great Looking Hour With Minor Problems

Author: StuOz
22 May 2007

In deep space, Dr Smith responds to a call for help on the ship's radio, however all is not what it seems when silver aliens demand Smith's help or he dies.

Irwin Allen was really pushing his luck by using exactly the same giant alien spacecraft again. In this episode, it is meant to be a never seen before craft, I wonder how many viewers swallowed this? Oh well, if Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea can use the same whale footage almost once a season (four times in total) I guess LIS can do this? As dumb as it might sound, these strange quirks are partly what make Irwin TV what it is. It all has a special identity.

With Kidnapped In Space, LIS was still in that improving-the-series-with-action-and-energy tone that played so well in the year three opener, Condemned Of Space. For this reason, I like the episode a lot but am bothered by two really stupid and childish moments in act three and act four. Firstly, Smith behaves like a clown when in the prison escape scene. Secondly, Smith transforming into a child actor with an adult voice is painfully bad to watch. But the rest of the hour is fine...

This was the first of several year three episodes with silver skinned aliens and followers of the just axed (in 1967) Time Tunnel will suspect the aliens have just jumped ship from one Irwin series to another. All Irwin aliens are silver. The general look of the aliens standing around blinking light hardware or walking inside the Jupiter 2 late at night or doing battle around the full-scale space pod, is pleasing to the eye and the female alien will be pleasing to some male eyes for another reason. The hour will be seen as childish compared to The Time Tunnel but fun all the same.

Don't forget to hang around for Dick Tufeld's high energy "Next Week On Lost In Space" advert at the end. These ads always deserve a mention as they were better narrated and edited than the "Next Week On Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" adverts.

Oh, those silver-skinned aliens. Don't they ever go away?

Author: Reginald D. Garrard from Camilla, GA
14 August 2010

A trademark of every Irwin Allen show is the silver-skinned alien. He or she may pop up solo or in groups as they do in this LiS installment from season three.

Male and female ones enlist the aid of Dr. Smith (Jonathan Harris) to "operate" on their mechanical leader.

Highlights of this episode include the first appearance of the Space pod, the over-the-top hairdos of the female aliens, and Dr. Smith discovering a "fountain of youth," of sorts.

Turning Smith young is a novel idea that is marred by the decision to have the nine-year-old actor playing the youthful Smith "speak" with Harris' voice.

It probably sounded "cute" on paper but it comes across laughably in execution.

Kidnapped in Space

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
14 July 2012

"Kidnapped in Space", like many episodes in the Lost in Space catalogue, is an uneven pleasure. I really dug the giant sets representative of a giant space probe housing a cybernetic *brain* ("the greatest, most powerful brain in the universe") and its android "collective", needing someone to repair the machine before it "dies". The idea that a machine is "sick" and must be "treated" in "surgery" is handled in a jokey manner, with Androids #764 & #1220 (Grant Sullivan and Carol Williams) among others, insisting Dr. Smith to operate, putting surgical gloves and operating gown, with a surgical hat, on him prior to the "big operation". This all starts when Will and Robot, at Smith's urging, answer a distress call from the space probe offering monetary reward for medical assistance. Smith, never one to turn down the possibility of riches, gets in the space pod quietly when the others are asleep, is startled by the Robot who accidentally backs him into the take-off controls, the two heading for the space probe. The space probe is the exact ship seen in the first episode of Lost in Space, just more laziness out of the prop dept. The way the probe opens its "mouth", a magnetic ray pulling the Jupiter 2 into it is also ripped right from the first episode, except this time in color instead of B&W. The androids (for some reason, called aliens) are as usual covered in silver paint, costumed in a uniform right out of a Buck Rogers serial. Of course, the main reason the androids want their leader to be salvaged is to rule the universe. Robot knows this and will not operate…that is until the androids secretly board the Jupiter (after taking John and West hostage, as well as, imprisoning Smith when his services are realized to be useless), using a device that determines what member of the Robinson party is the closest to Robot, that being Will. Lots of action in this one, as John and Major West find themselves in a showdown with the androids who have unique weapons including little clock bombs that explode (one actually attaches to John's chest in a cool moment) and clock devices that actually turn time back when focused on an individual (John's life is actually saved because of this and Dr. Smith gets so carried away at the possibility of time control he accidentally turns himself back into a child (speaking in Harris' voice, for petesake!)). Robot must have telepathic abilities because his sensors seem to know malicious intent and foresee danger from those the Robinsons have yet met. Robot's ego, known to inflame in past episodes when he gets involved with machines, is once again appeased when lending his expertise (two cybernetic medical years in college) to the cybernetic brain.

Archie's Here! Betty's Here, Veronica Too! Hey, Jughead, Where Are You?

Author: richard.fuller1
13 June 2010

What can I say about this episode but the first thing I noticed was the lead android, a male, had the orange terry-cloth head device, like hair on his head, and the two main females we see (how could anyone miss them? Above or below?) one has a raven-haired combination bouffant, tied in pigtails hair do, while the other one, who has no dialogue has the same hairstyle, but is BLONDE! Star Trek, Doctor Who, they don't compare to this attempt to look futuristic and updated. I guess the one good thing for the performers is this is one they could deny if they had to, cuz no one would recognize them unless they told it was them.

The episode does trip into Will saving the day, but this emerged in numerous episodes. Apparently Maureen, Judy and Penny slept thru this entire adventure.

Not a bad episode and worth noting for the accidentally younged version of Dr. Smith (the uncredited child does his part remarkably well) and yes, we see the spaceship from the first season again, but like Bewitched, this was a time when reruns were not known to be, so who would notice? But it will always stand out to me for those ridiculous hairdos.

This is one of my personal "Dirty Baker's Dozen" episodes..3.4..

Author: jimbotc2006 from United States
26 September 2012

It only took until the fifth episode of the anniversary season to bring the first so-called 'clunker,' and one of my personal "Dirty Baker's Dozen" episodes. I thought much more highly of this episode in the old days, but that was another story and another time. There are a couple of noteworthy interesting things here, but that is all. This was the episode that introduced the viewing audience to the all-new 'Space Pod' (where did that thing come from?). Also interesting is the aliens' time bending devices they wear on their belts. Those were very cool and had possibilities. I think the story should have revolved more around those things, instead of the silly "we need someone to perform delicate brain surgery on our supreme leader" idea..say what?!? This episode introduced us to new Season Three writer Robert Hamner, and as Robert (Herzog) always mentions, he treated to Robot as an overly silly character. He also liked to have space members locked up in 'jails.'

On the surface, this episode appears exciting (in keeping with the early Season Three theme), but all it really accomplishes is groan worthy moments and ideas. It 'tries' to (still) be more serious than the majority of Season Two, but overall, it comes off even less good than its predecessors. Although the footage of the derelict spaceship is always classic (in color this time), we have seen it before. The first segment is easily the best. After everyone is on the space probe is where the episode falls apart many notches.

Penny's hair continues going through its transformation here. Silver flight suits once again are nice.

I want to mostly put the blame on brand new LiS writer Robert Hamner here. He simply did not have a grasp on LOST IN SPACE and characters..especially our metallic friend.

As Scott alludes to, "Kidnapped In Space" sticks out like a sore thumb in the early Season Three going..

Medical school dropout, indeed.

LosT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~jim~~~~~~~~~