"The Lone Gunmen" Like Water for Octane (2001)

« Prev | 4 of 13 Episodes | Next »

Monumentally Ignorant!

Author: SilentJay32 from Canada
5 July 2007

The writer of the other comment, panpiper from Canada, should be ashamed. The rational of the post about what our heroes do with the object of this episode's search has got to be the single most unmitigated display of shear ignorance I have ever seen committed to the IMDb. People actually form opinions based on things they hear from posts like this. The tripe the poster typed, as some sort of 'wisdom' to justify their actions, can only harm the world and our future. I've never been made so angry by an IMDb post. panpiper from Canada is a technocrat of the worst kind, the kind that is in a position to influence others to think the same way, that seven billion people can freeze or regress the environment and NOT destroy the planet in doing so. Beh!

I have indeed watched the episode, and well, it's a TV show. A comedy. A spin-off of the X-Files. Fic-tion. It's not real, and shouldn't be taken as such. Anybody who takes their scientific cues from shows like this more than likely has problems tying their shoes, let along affecting climate change.

Monumentally ignorant!

Author: panpiper from Canada
28 April 2007

The writer of this episode, Collin Friesen, should be ashamed. The rational for what our heroes do with the object of this episode's search has got to be the single most unmitigated display of shear ignorance I have ever seen committed to television. People actually form opinions based on things they hear from shows like this. The tripe our protagonists spoke, as some sort of 'wisdom' to justify their actions, can only harm the world and our future. I've never been made so angry by a TV show. Collin Friesen is a Luddite of the worst kind, the kind that is in a position to influence others to think the same way, that seven billion people can freeze or regress progress, and NOT destroy the planet in doing so. Bilk!

Apparently I cannot make two comments and so I cannot rebut SilentJay32's attack on my post. So I am forced to append to my previous comment. Also, even more unfortunately, I cannot rebut without revealing completely the end of the episode, so if you've not yet watched it, consider reading no further.

Total spoilers follow; * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I can only assume SilentJay32 has not watched this episode. I completely fail to understand how any ecologically motivated person could disagree with my outrage. In this episode, the heroes find a working prototype of a water burning engine, an engine that can power a car burning only water. Such an engine would be able to power not just cars but also trucks, trains, airplanes and ships. It could drive generators, including massive power stations. It would mean the end of burning oil and coal for both energy and transportation, the end of human induced global warming! It would power water purification and irrigation systems that would be a huge boon to impoverished peoples. This list goes on and on. Our putative heroes decide that 'they' need to suppress this technology because someone might get rich because of it. Yes, far better that the planet die of heat death than someone get rich, heaven forbid!