"Little House on the Prairie" Home Again: Part 1 (1983)

« Prev | 199 of 205 Episodes | Next »

Whoa...

Author: Beth-the 80s chick from Canada
11 April 2006

This one scared the Cr*p out of me. It shows, in excruciating detail, Albert going through morphine withdrawal. Now you may be thinking, "yeah, sure, on Little House, what are they going to show?" Everything. Every once in awhile, the writers of this usually "sweet little show", turned the tables on you and totally freaked you out when you were least expecting it. As far as I can remember, the only other Little House episode that was this jarring and disturbing was one entitled "Sylvia" in Season 7 (but that's a whole other review). The writers of this episode sure weren't kidding. I saw it when I was about 16 and it has stuck in my mind ever since. If I ever seen an effective deterrent for taking drugs, this episode is it.

The nightmare of morphine

Author: cwok1975-1 from United States
16 January 2007

I have to agree, this one scared me half to death, too. Without going into details, I was able to identify with Albert's misery and the horror of going through what he went through. It has bothered me ever since I saw it & even now, later in life, I still have nightmares about having seen it (like when I saw scary movies as a kid).

Every graphic, violent, awful detail of narcotic withdrawal is shown. I don't think I've seen anything that even comes close ever since then, but I won't go into detail since some of you may not have seen it. Let it just be said that Albert has to go through the bowels of hell to get over it.

I think it's interesting that this came out during the Reagan administration, when the "just say no" campaign against illegal drugs was at its height. It ought to scare anyone into never wanting to touch an illegal drug, EVER.

Every parent ought to make their teenage kid watch this. It's a great deterrent to using drugs. It shows very plainly not just how it can wreak havoc on a person's body. It shows how it ends up hurting everyone in the addict's life.

Geez....I get the heebie-jeebies just thinking about Albert & Charles in that cabin.

'nuff said.

Creepy

Author: hugz93 from United States
10 August 2006

Omg! this episode was just SO freaky! oh my gosh! Albert went crazy because of the morphine. But it was interesting and exciting. I was so shocked on how hard it is to spend one night without drugs. You see, i think more teenagers should watch that episode because it was like what drug addicts really go through. That morphine really screwed up that part of his life. And when he got violent i was like "Wow..." I really enjoyed watching this episode and i would watch it over and over again until i got tired of it or something like that. But overall, i think that Albert's character did an excellent performance. One of the best i've seen.

drugs!!!! not good for you

Author: jvanderwalt5 from South Africa
15 January 2015

This is another one of little house on the prairie's outstanding episodes and Micheal Landon did a great jod AGAIN as director and actor in this episode. This is the first time we see Charles and Albert since their departure in the last episode on season 8. In this heart gripping first part of a 2 part episode we see how Albert is addicted to drugs Morphine and you can just see from the get go how drugs affect your personality and its not for the better. But I loved this episode even though its dark it's very important to watch because it takes on a subject that is really worth watching and learning about. Stay tuned to the 2nd part where you will see what happens when Albert stops and the withdrawal symptoms kicks in

Changed Albert

Author: Michelle Palmer from United States
29 November 2013

This is the first of three very dark episodes in a row.

Albert is not adjusting well to city life, which is interesting since he lived on his own in the city before Charles came along. But he found some influential friends that weren't influencing him in the correct ways. A personality change was caused by drugs, as we'll soon learn.

Charles doesn't want Albert to go to the work house for three years, so he takes him back to Walnut Grove. I'm guessing he plans on leaving him there for Almanzo and Laura to raise, but he sticks around for awhile to make sure Albert adjusts alright.

Drug abuse is an awful thing. It has no loyalties or friends. Albert begins stealing from his friends and lying. Dr. Baker is a victim since he can provide (unknowingly, of course) Albert with the one thing he needs - morphine!

A needed jolt for Season 9

Author: Dphilly521 from United States
12 March 2012

The return of Charles and Albert Ingalls in "Home Again" makes us realize how lacking certain episodes during Season 9 were without them. If the characters had been exhausted and needed a break, this terrific and inspiring two-part episode shows that they were only temporarily exhausted with a huge breath of fresh air to welcome them back despite a very touchy storyline.

Perhaps it is hard to believe that Albert, the righteous hero of numerous previous episodes within the series, has allowed himself to succumb to the peer pressure of street thugs and get himself involved with such a dangerous drug. Albert is however an important central figure to highlight here and in my opinion the message is much more powerfully conveyed than if, say, Willie Oleson had become the addict.

Our interest is sparked almost immediately with the presence of Michael Landon and the knock at the door of Janes and Son by the police officer just a few minutes in. An even more immediate tastebud-tingler occurs for those of us who are "Father Murphy" fans as well: Mister Rodman has crossed over to the other show, yet is just as villainous! A classic cameo appearance by Charles Tyner.

Matthew Laborteaux is excellent as usual. Albert eventually beats the addiction and survives, although the message is clearly sent that he was lucky. That speech in the classroom near the close is worthy of memorization.

It is no coincidence that "Look Back to Yesterday" is also one of the strongest episodes as "Little House" nears its conclusion. The presence of Charles and Albert proves to be very powerful, and their chemistry with the other main characters makes the whole cast stronger.

Repeated viewings of this scary yet triumphant problem-solver rarely if ever make us sorry to go "Home Again".

Growing Pains...

Author: ExplorerDS6789 from United States
27 November 2010

We open in Burr Oak, Iowa, where Charles Ingalls goes about his job at Janes and Son, a fancy men's clothing store, and for no reason at all, he gets berated daily by his boss, Mr. Janes...I guess Son quit, and who could blame him? Thanks to this job, Charles was barely even half the man he used to be. City life done made him soft. Well, after working long into the night again, Officer Coogan drops by to see Charles, apparently Albert has gotten into some trouble again. Hearing this, Charles walked out on the job, despite vehement protests of his rotten boss and went to get Albert. Seriously, that Janes guy is almost as bad as Standish; Now it seems the Ingalls boy has been hanging out with a bad crowd and it's rubbed off on him, and at this rate, he'd be heading for the work house, but Charles stepped in with a fantastic idea: take Albert on a trip back to Walnut Grove, where everything was much simpler and friendlier, and you have to wonder why the Ingallses left in the first place. Albert didn't want to go, but he had no choice, so at the end of the week, they headed out of the city, bound for the Grove. As they rode passed the house where they used to live, it filled Charles' heart with joy, but seeing the little house on the prairie did little for Albert, as did the warm welcome he got from Almanzo and Laura, but who cares? Charles loved it. During supper, Albert was practically dead to world. As they ate, Doc Baker dropped by to see Charles and he was invited to stay for pie. But while everybody went out to look at the Wilders' ailing horse, Albert stole a few morphine packets from Doc Baker's bag and soon perked up again.

The next day, while Charles helped out Edwards at the mill and wondered where he went wrong with Albert, young Mr. Ingalls went back to school. Right away he refused invitations from Jeb and Willie to play ball and went off to get a cup of water to take his "medication". So after getting high, Albert changed his mind about the game and stepped up to the plate...and struck out, and he fell asleep in class. Winners don't use drugs, kid. But there's more, and now it gets worse: Albert snatches a crate of morphine meant for Doc Baker. He offered to deliver it for Nels Oleson and instead of taking it to the good doctor as instructed, he stashed it in his room, then he stole a container of powdered sugar and pulled the old switcheroo. Doc was none the wiser...yet. Well after carrying out his dastardly deed, Charles and Edwards ride up and invite him to go fishing, but Albert declined in favor of homework, which me may or may not really have. Albert has a problem, but he just might not be beyond saving. With his family and friends by his side, he just might kick his addition. But, as the saying goes, it's always darkest before the dawn.

Good episode. It was nice to see Michael Landon in front of the camera again, as well as the return of Matthew Laborteaux as Albert. This episode is quite dark and it deals with a very serious problem that society still faces to this very day: kids on the wrong side of the law and becoming addicted to drugs, only today there are many more drugs to choose from, as well as more gangs. But with the right kinds of help and the right laws being passed, we can decrease these numbers. Another noteworthy performance from Leslie Landon as Etta Plum, a very good schoolteacher who is kind to the children and demands respect at the same time. We need more teachers like her. Enjoy Part I of this harrowing drama and stay tuned for Part II where Albert sinks deeper into the abyss that is addiction and deprivation.

Sister morphine

Author: dbdumonteil
8 March 2008

This might be the only episode in the House saga (with the eventual exception of " May we make them proud") which is "barely for the whole family".Second part includes scenes which are almost unbearable:Albert (Laborteaux) was not one of my favorite characters,by a long shot,being too perfect and too straight (I 'd always liked Willie Oleson best) ,but here he steals the show ;it is his best episode by such a wide margin that it is hard to think of another one (maybe " may we make them proud" ).Albert's struggle with morphine is so realistic you often feel like looking away.

Charles Ingalls -who returns in the series where he's been replaced by the bland M.Carter- is no longer the sturdy man with a big white smile and strong shoulders.Her hair is white and he seems jaded,disheartened .In the first sequences ,he seems to have lost his legendary self-confidence .Landon gives a moving portrayal,almost always on the verge of tears.

The question the friends of the little house will always ask themselves:what has become of Albert?Laura's voice over tells us about Albert's return as a doctor in Walnut Grove;but in "look back to yesterday" ,one of the final films ,he is terminally ill.Generally people think that a miracle happened.