IMDb > "The Lieutenant" To Set It Right (1964) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Lieutenant" To Set It Right (1964)

« Prev | 21 of 29 Episodes | Next »

Never shown on the air

Author: ricknorwood (f.norwood@att.net) from Mountain Home TN
9 March 2008

This episode is about race relations, a taboo subject in entertainment TV at the time, and so was never aired. It featured Nichelle Nichols as the fiancé of a Black Marine, Ernest Cameron, who encounters a White Marine guilty of racial bullying while they were in the same High School. Ernest Cameron is still angry, to the point of starting fights. The Gary Lockwood character, Lt. Bill White, tries to make peace between the two men. Lt. White's superior officer points out that he is attempting to accomplish in a few weeks what better men have been unable to accomplish in a lifetime, to overcome racial prejudice. The episode can be viewed at The Paley Center for Media in New York City.

It was shown !

Author: GJValent from Chicago, IL, United States
11 September 2016

Why has this episode gotten a reputation as never shown ? It was shown, because I saw it. I can even quote a scene where Gary Lockwood is talking to Nichelle Nichols who is sitting in a convertible. He leads off discussing her fiancé with the phrase,'he's Negro and I'm Caucasian'. She responds,'lieutenant, it's perfectly acceptable to say black and white'. I remember this vividly. It's even listed for Feb 22 1964. If someone can correct me, please do. Note: another listing states that the network refused to pay the costs of this episode, not that it never aired. The basis of the plot in To Set it Right, race relations, will crop up many times in Gene Roddenberry's next series, the classic Star Trek, of course.