"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" Birthright (2004)

« Prev | 117 of 356 Episodes | Next »

Great. That's all there is to say.

Author: crscountrykid from United States
7 January 2011

I have been a fan of SVU for a long time now. I haven't necessarily seen all the episodes due to other conflicts but I'm working on it. I chose to watch this one last night because the summary on IMDb seemed pretty intense. Boy, was it right.

A potential kidnapping turns into a private investigation which leads to a con man doctor which then leads to a real snatching of a kid which then leads to a custody fight. I think that sums it up pretty nicely.

But, the real stars of the show are the guest stars. We all know about the abilities of Meloni, Hargitay, Florek, etc. But, the people who really stole the spotlight were Lea Thompson, who plays Michelle Osborne and Abigail Breslin, who plays little Patty Branson. Both are very convincing, especially Breslin and the freaked-out-of-her-mind character she is portraying. Thompson is also very hard-nosed as the 'mother' of Breslin's character. This is evident during a jail house meeting scene in about the middle of the episode.

Watch. This. Episode.

The DNA confirms it

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
4 June 2014

The villain in this episode of SVU is an unseen one. This episode also entertains the proposition that a mother knows her own kid no matter what.

Someone has been trying to snatch young Abigail Breslin for a few weeks now, it's obvious whoever this is fixated on this child. In a nicely pulled off sting operation the squad nails the two perpetrators. They turn out to be private detectives.

But who has hired them? Turns out to be Lea Thompson who spotted her and knew it was a daughter. And guess what, the DNA confirms it.

In vitro fertilization is the answer some fertility clinic implanted Thompson's egg with husband Beau Gravitte's sperm doing its thing inside his wife Camilla Scott's womb.

What a lovely custodial dilemma. And what a tough case for Diane Neal to win in court. Some interesting issues about fertility clinics and their practices are raised here. We never even see who the people are who caused this tragic mess.

A good, but sad story all around.