"Law & Order" Subterranean Homeboy Blues (1990)

« Prev | 2 of 456 Episodes | Next »

The Bernhard Goetz case

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
12 June 2012

Bernhard Goetz became in some eyes an urban folk hero when some punks picked on him during a desultory subway ride in the Eighties and he shot four of them. In this episode from the first season of Law And Order the number of victims became only two and the perpetrator became a former dancer played by Cynthia Nixon. A dancer I might add who lost her former profession because of an encounter on a subway when she was not armed.

Michael Moriarty and Richard Brooks have one hard road in trying to convict a very appealing perpetrator. As in the Goetz case you could have argued it from many aspects on both sides. Unlike in the Goetz case, Nixon did not try to exploit the notoriety.

Making her first appearance in a Law And Order episode in what was the second episode of the series was Lorraine Toussaint as Shambala Greene who became one of the regular floating defense attorneys who left the show when Moriarty did. Toussaint did make one appearance with a client when Sam Waterston took over. She was tough and passionate in her client's behalf, definitely a woman I want defending me if I'm really innocent. She's worth watching the show for herself.