IMDb > "Law & Order" Myth of Fingerprints (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Law & Order" Myth of Fingerprints (2001)

« Prev | 260 of 456 Episodes | Next »

A history of false IDs

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
20 October 2013

The death of a man who nobody is going to mourn leads Jerry Orbach and Jesse Martin on the trail of a homicide of a case long solved. And the investigating officer was none other than S. Eptha Merkessen way back in her undercover days.

Turns out the deceased killed someone in the past and two people went to prison for that crime, one of whom was killed in the joint. The case rested on fingerprint identification and the woman in charge of the police lab, Diana Scarwid did the ID.

It was a false ID and as it turns out she's got a history of that. It will be quite a reach but DA Diane Weist has Sam Waterston charge Scarwid for the murder in prison.

What she did was irresponsible in the extreme. In her defense we learn that fingerprint IDs is not an exact science and one has a lot of latitude. It's also what makes careers for defense lawyers. And Scarwid sees it as her contribution to law and order.

A most thought provoking episode.

The rest of the story

Author: jimfoley2005 from Los Angeles, California
7 November 2015

James Foley has always been my name. I have never been a drug dealer, nor dead. 35yrs ago I was false convicted of non support for a child I know is not mine. The DNA test was wrong, but can't be contested. My family, wife, 4 children are lost to me, my career, my good deeds, my honor disgraced. The Innocence Project will not help, 'cause I'm not on death row. I am homeless 10yrs, sober 8yrs. This is wrong, if this kid believes my DNA predisposes him to alcoholism, prostate cancer, or other maladies, then I am to blame, though I have gone to jail, and have refused to support the courts decision in any way. Yes, I need help. Thank you for your time.