"Law & Order" Locomotion (TV Episode 2005) Poster

(TV Series)

(2005)

I'm your family too! No. You're not. Not anymore.
paolo ceccacci25 December 2017
An accident occurred in a quiet morning. A train full of commuters who were about to reach their place of work collided with a SUV, causing twelve casualties as a result, plus over a hundred injuried people. The car owner (J.D. Jackson) might have had a motive, because his prosecutor used to take that train (he had a pending trial for raping a girl), but his car was actually stolen. The real perp mixed up with the wounded people, so detectives started questioning all the people who were taken to the hospital. A man confessed: he tried to commit suicide due to his depression caused by several factors: he was separated with a sick daughter and his boss (and brother) had just fired him due to drinking problems. So the trial was about to begin, the strangest trial I've ever seen in Law & Order franchise.

I saw the same episode in "Law & Order UK", with a different location (New York instead of London town). Van Buren wanted the death penalty, but this kind of things are up to lawyers (overall I'm against it, but this time I agree with her).
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the devastation of depression
micqueli7 June 2014
doubt anyone will ever read this, but i feel compelled to make a note. unlike the reviewers before me, responded to this episode with a great deal of empathy and compassion for the "criminal". granted it's been forever since i've seen it - and wish i could watch it again now to get a second take. but what i remember is that the episode tried to depict what the chronic, life-threatening illness of depression can do to a person, and thereby those around. i'm not talking the blues, feeling down, having a bad week. i'm talking the dysfunction of the brain and psyche that leads someone to feel their life isn't worth living, and the desire to free oneself through death. *if you have never felt this way, it might be impossible for you to understand, or for someone to convey to you*. all i can say for now is that i myself get it, and i would wish this actual illness on no one in the history of time. please educate yourself on the differences between narcissism and depression. they may overlap in some cases, but what's going on inside of most severely depressed people is simply out of control loathing and despair for themselves/their own lives. and it's very tricky to control the effect this may have on others in their world.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Narcissism
bkoganbing8 September 2013
Dennis Farina and Michael Imperioli as his temporary partner draw a real nasty case in this episode. An SUV is driven on to a commuter rail track from upstate and the train strikes it going full tilt. 12 people are killed and dozens injured. No driver found though, he mingled among the passengers and left after questioning.

Eventually it points to Joseph Lyle Taylor, a recently divorced man with a substance abuse problem who if we had adequate mental health care facilities might not have done this terrible thing though. But no doubt he's legally responsible for his actions.

Taylor eventually decides to represent himself with the inevitable result. But does that show he's nuts?

The unspoken word in this episode is narcissism. This poor loser was just looking for attention, narcissists have to have it, they're addicted to it. I've known many in my life and I'm sure you readers have as well.

No doubt we need better policy for mental health, but it doesn't excuse what Taylor did.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I don't make social policy.
lastliberal22 September 2008
Any episode of Law & Order is worth watching, but some are way above others.

With the exception of Sam Waterson, this is the worst cast of the series: Dennis Farina, Michael Imperioli, and Annie Parisse are all the least of the characters in their respective roles.

The case was interesting in that a man tried to commit suicide and 12 people ended up dead instead. His lawyer, capably played by Giancarlo Esposito, tried to indict the social services not provided by the State for his client's condition.

It turns out, however, that he was just an alcoholic loser.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this