IMDb > "Inspector Morse" Cherubim & Seraphim (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Inspector Morse" Cherubim & Seraphim (1992)

« Prev | 25 of 33 Episodes | Next »

While my least favourite of the 6th series, it is very solid.

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
7 July 2009

The episode is certainly the most personal case for Morse, after his step niece commits suicide. I will say, that the plot is more complicated than the other Morse episodes I have seen, so I will have to see it again. The acting is very solid, with Thaw and Whately excellent in the leads, and Jason Isaacs and Islar Blair turning in equally impressive performances. There is some nice music, and a good script, but the final solution was so complex I didn't get it when I saw it. The episode's construction is a departure from other episodes, focusing on drugs, teenagers and parties. Some of it is quite moving, but I will say it is my least favourite episode of the 6th series. 8/10 Bethany Cox.

Morse and the case of the teenage suicide.

Author: bethwilliam from Port Stephens, Australia
22 July 2006

One of Morse's most painful and personal cases. Whilst visiting his step-mother, Morse finds himself in the middle of a tragedy - his step-niece has committed suicide. Morse takes compassionate leave, but begins searching into his step-niece's past to find the reason for her death.

Meanwhile Lewis is assigned to work with Chief Inspector Holroyd, who has a very different approach to police investigation than Morse. When another teenager goes missing Lewis and Morse compare notes and begin to see a pattern of youth suicides that are linked to rave parties.

This episode includes performances from Jason Isaacs, who has gone from strength to strength and includes movies such as the Harry Potter series and The Patriot. Also Islar Blair puts in a solid performance as the distressed mother.

Each Morse episode has a guest appearance by Colin Dexter, the original author. Here he can be seen at Dr Collier's presentation.

This is not the best episode of MORSE. But seeing John Thaw and Kevin Whately together warmed the heart.

Sex, Drugs, Rock and Roll.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
28 February 2011

Two teens evidently commit suicide, one by an overdose, another by walking into a train. The spoor leads Morse and Lewis to a club owner who is selling a newly minted anti-depressant to some of the teen agers around Oxford. The kids hear about a "party" where the drugs will be made available and they flock to the site and gyrate ecstatically to mind-numbing music. The drug gets them so high that they come to believe nothing will ever equal the euphoria they've experienced, so they kill themselves to avoid the disappoints of the future. I myself would kill for that drug.

But in this episode Lewis is busy memorizing the law for his Inspector's exam and Morse is out of his element with "kids these days." Sex, drugs, and rock and roll. "I like sex," he muses, "but can't stand rock and roll. And drugs?" He shrugs. He still seems to get a kick not only out of sex but out of twitting Lewis. They listen to the percussive sounds of some rock band and Morse complains in his usual foul manner that it's "eclectic." Says Lewis: "What? I don't hear any guitars." But Lewis may be ahead of Morse in this exchange because he wears a slight smile while Morse pompously defines "eclectic" for him.

When I saw the wild party at which a hundred or so teens are leaping up and down and wiggling their behinds, underneath the strobe lights and disco balls, it occurred to me that the scene was terribly dated, but then I thought, well, it was made in the 1980s, post Andy Warhol's factory maybe but in the same time frame as cocaine and Studio 54. Then I noticed the episode aired in 1992. Maybe it was written in the 80s and the script, or some very similar one, lay on the writer's shelf for ten years or so before its retrieval.

A couple of notes. For American fans, before they enter the climactic party, Morse hesitates, saying, "We can't go in there; we're not even wearing trainers." "Trainers" translates as "sneaks" or "sneakers" in the States. I learned that interesting fact from a young lady now living in what used to be British Mesopotamia.

Morse articulates his philosophy of life during the investigation and it had me chuckling aloud. He traces the course of human development this way. A kid has no choice but to follow the rules. He goes to school. If lucky he goes to college. He has to get a job. Then there's marriage and a two-bedroom semi-detached house. Then children come and there must be four bedrooms, just in time for the kids to start leaving and buying semi-detached houses of their own. "Man is born free but is everywhere in property chains," declaims Morse. The last line is a paraphrase of Jean-Jacques Rousseau, "Man is born free but is everywhere in chains," from "The Social Contract."

Three-part episode sliced down to 2- part episode ?

Author: jaseday from DC United States
27 August 2015

Cherubim and Seraphim might be my favorite Morse show. I'll never know because its clear that there were three parts of material, but the powers that be slashed it down to two episodes, That led to an unusually poor conclusion and numerous loose ends. Does a "director's cut" exist?

The plot takes a while to develop, but once it does it bifurcates into a combination of pharmaceutical experimentation and medical ethics, and the drama of teenagers exposed to a new form of Ecstasy meant for seniors. It turns out be a great high but have very depressing after-affects on teenagers.

Morse's niece commits suicide very unexpectedly, as does another teen. Morse learns about the Rave scene and tries to save a girlfriend of his niece who is the thrall of the drug.

The twin plot lines never meet. Morse vows to find his niece's "murderer" and seems to suspect the scientist. But the third part of the show was never made.

Loud, confused, and worst of all, BORING entry in the series.

Author: NativeTexan from Georgia
8 February 2010

Did someone fall in a hole, suffer a concussion, and then write this episode? Horrible doesn't quite begin to describe it. My husband and I kept looking at each other and saying "It's Morse; surely it will improve." But it didn't. It simply got LOUDER and MORE BORING. Teenagers don't have to be stupid, but all the ones portrayed here certainly were. Britain definitely looks like it's on a permanent downhill slide. Even more frightening were the ghastly schools, classes, and ineffectual parental and adult influences. Parents who are afraid to control and discipline their children and who don't even have the balls to make them turn down their music shouldn't be surprised when their children do drugs, sneak out, disobey, and finally kill themselves either by accident or on purpose. If you haven't wasted a couple of hours watching this episode, consider yourself fortunate.