IMDb > "The Incredible Hulk" Final Round (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Incredible Hulk" Final Round (1978)

« Prev | 3 of 82 Episodes | Next »

The Boxer

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
18 November 2014

First episode of the series after the two successful pilot films once again stars Bill Bixby as Dr. David Banner, Lou Ferrigno as the Hulk, and Jack Colvin as dogged newspaper reporter Jack McGee. Plot is about David befriending a struggling young boxer named Henry "Rocky" Welsh(played by Martin Kove) who helped him in a mugging attempt. "Rocky" suffers from high blood pressure and is being used by his unscrupulous manager to ferry drugs, and of course David(or rather the Hulk) must do all he can to help, along with Henry's girlfriend. Story is thin but entertaining and did successfully launch this beloved TV series to a five-year run.

the hulk looks different

Author: trashgang from Midian
29 April 2013

The first real episode clocking in at 50 minutes. The main difference is in fact the Hulk itself. He's less greener than in the two movies made for episode 1 and 2 and his hair is different.

This time David is still wandering throughout the US. When arriving in the next city he is immediately robbed but rescued by a boxer named 'Rocky'. He take care of David and they become friends but without money David need work and is taken to the gym by Rocky to start working as his corner-man. But Rocky always has to bring special deliveries to people and David suspects it's some illegal stuff. But David's robbers are still waiting to give Rocky a lesson, David is out their to become the Hulk and saves Rocky but one package is severally damaged, looks like drugs.

From there on Rocky is in trouble and David has to transform to save him finally. Made in the era when the film Rocky (1976) was very popular so they tried to use a story a bit the same as Rocky. Al Ruscio is here to see as a bad guy, a big name back then.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 2/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5

A poor first episode to the series....

Author: markymark70 from Ireland
23 February 2009

I recently purchased the boxset for seasons 1 & 2 of The Incredible Hulk with high expectations of reliving some of the green glory of my youth. I remember as a kid loving the Hulk every week and David Banner's quest for justice and a cure to his condition.

As part of the boxset - the pilot for the series was included. It was surprisingly good for a TV movie about a big green giant. It had a lot of sincerity and pathos in there which I hoped would have been brought forward to the series proper.

Not sure if it will improve after this opener but the first episode is a poor mish-mash of formulaic story-telling and far-fetched situations. I know I have to temper (excuse the pun) this review with the fact that the Hulk is a monster of sorts which must appear a couple of times in the space of 45 minutes or so and the makers must also weave a story of some credibility in there also. Not an easy task, and not exactly high-brow television either. But let me put it this way - if this episode was the pilot - then the show would have been cancelled there and then.

The episode sees Martin Kove (First Blood pt. II, Karate Kid) play Rocky Welsh - a limited but enthusiastic boxer. So aligned is this character to the Rocky Balboa character popular at the time that he dresses like him, speaks like him and even references him as a role model. Banner is his corner man/friend and stumbles upon a heroin dealing operation with the boxer's manager. No need to go any further here with the story - it's all predictable and hokum but after a couple of Hulk-outs, the situation is resolved.

Because it is episodic television, maybe my memories were more rose-tinted than I realised. But nonetheless Bixby still has that air of likability about him which carries the show through the sea of ups and downs.

Not great - hoping for better yet to come.

5/10.