IMDb > "I Dream of Jeannie" My Hero? (1965) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"I Dream of Jeannie" My Hero? (1965)

« Prev | 2 of 139 Episodes | Next »

Tony defends Jeannie and must fight Jaws

Author: w22nuschler from United States
12 June 2016

Cast: Jeannie, Tony & Roger Jeannie tell Tony that someone hit her at the store. Tony is supposed to have an important appointment with Roger, but he is determined to find this guy and have a discussion with him. Jeannie blinks them back to Bagdad where she was hit. Tony finds out it happened a long time ago and that she was just thinking about it when she told him about it. Tony is ready to leave because he thinks its silly that she would want him to do something about it after all of these years have passed. Right after this, they meet up with the man(Richard Kiel). He tries to take Jeannie away and Tony demands satisfaction. He is very funny as he tries to punch and karate chop him. He ends up jailed and Jeannie gets him out in the end. Another solid episode.

Miss Understood

Author: getyourdander from United States
14 November 2014

No one can quite understand why a 2000 year old Jeannie has never been married, especially one who is like this one. The curse of the evil gin putting her in the bottle explains it. I was about 11 years old when When this was produced. I still do not understand why Barbara Eden did not have more children, as she would not have needed to blink to have me try. In 1965 she would have gone to jail for that. Believe me, it would have been consensual, as this is one special woman.

This one includes time travel back 2000 years for Tony to face the evil guy who abused her, great guest shot by Richard Kiel. This one a is a lot of-fun for everyone except Tony who is tortured and manipulated around plenty.

The Time Tunnel With...Comedy

Author: StuOz
16 August 2007

If you missed episode one, don't worry, the pilot is explained with wonderfully edited stock footage, a great narration and a fine theme tune playing over it all. But be warned, in some prints, at least in some Australian prints, this intro is edited out and replaced by the regular year one intro!

Well I just looked at the IMDb "memorable quotes" for this episode and I never found them memorable at all, perhaps my sense of humour is too grim/cynical for this light hearted situation comedy? My reasons for liking this episode are rooted in The Time Tunnel (1966-67)...which first aired a season after My Hero.

This might be nothing more than a crazy 1960s sit-com, but it would of been nice if Tony Nelson actually reacted to being suddenly thrown into history. When he first appears in Baghdad, he hardly even looks around to see where he is, instead, he just barks at Jeannie? Oh well. After a while he starts making silly 1965 comments that nobody understands.

Right down to Tony Nelson's Baghdad clothing, this has a pre-Time Tunnel feeling about it. Tony is even held captive just as the two travellers often were in Tunnel! Granted, Tunnel was as straight as a board and My Hero is as silly as a clown, but those early scenes in the Baghdad markets had all the epic-ness of Tunnel (the market footage actually resembles the opening of Fox's 1953 epic The Robe).

Perhaps I am taking things too seriously, but how do 21st century viewers react when Tony warns a Baghdad guy about upsetting the USA or it could cause a war with Baghdad? Do I laugh or cry? I will just ignore it.

During the first three episodes, I Dream Of Jeannie was still sorting itself out and it was not until episode four, dealing with Tony getting married to the wrong woman, that the series really found it's feet. But then, maybe I am not the intended viewer for I Dream Of Jeannie?