IMDb > "Hustle" The Con Is On (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Hustle" The Con Is On (2004)

1 of 48 Episodes | Next »

The sexiest and most stylish show about the con in a long time!

Author: Scott Marlowe (scott.marlowe@gmail.com) from United States
25 March 2006

The premiere episode of Hustle is a great introduction to the crew. In the beginning, it's Albert, the older, gentleman, con-man, Mickey Bricks, the young genius master planner, fresh out of prison, Ashe, the expert, who's been reduced to doing the flop, and Stacy, the femme fatale. Mickey tells them all he's getting them together for one last big score.

The con is crashed by Danny, a young up and comer who seems to always be a heart beat away from being caught. To pay him back for crashing his con, Mickey insists on referring to him as "Mr. Redford" during the con.

This episode has a nice "behind the scenes" feel to it, both from the perspective of the con men and the police inspectors, switching back and forth from one view to the other, letting us become familiar with each side of the con coin, so to speak. For example, near the beginning of the episode, we get to see both the police and the con crew doing a briefing on the upcoming job.

This is one of the slicker and more intricate plots in the series, and it serves well to establish the feel of the show. As usual, there are enough hints for someone who's paying very close attention to figure it out. Barely. Most folks will have to watch it two or three times to see all the hints.

Sweet entertainment inside the box

Author: igoatabase from France
17 June 2011

Sawyer, the con artist who convinced me to check out Hustle. Indeed like Kate Austen he grew on Lost's fans for 6 seasons so a show featuring a team dedicated to his art seemed irresistible. Well received by the critics and praised for its creativity it still took me a while to watch its pilot. Entertaining but not interesting, it could sum things up. First I found the characters too stereotyped and even if Jaime Murray (Lila Tournay in Dexter) was charming as Stacie Monroe she and the other performers played way too much in their comfort zone, making the acting a little bland. Second it was refreshing to see the cons smiling at the camera while stealing or tricking someone but beside one bullet time sequence I didn't notice anything original enough to blow my happy neurons. Third there was nothing much exciting about the story. A greedy rich man who seduces younger woman with his money ? Déjà vu. Worst despite a skilled writing I was able to predict the end quite early. An other disappointing element was the format. Episodic ? I read something about a long arc but beside the hasty appearance of a wife and their inevitable chasing game with the cops I found nothing enough intriguing to convince me to give Hustle an other chance. Don't get me wrong it wasn't bad but I was definitely looking for something more special. In the end it tasted like candy and you won't think about once you have switched off your TV.