IMDb > "House M.D." Sports Medicine (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"House M.D." Sports Medicine (2005)

« Prev | 12 of 176 Episodes | Next »

Right up there with L&O

Author: xredgarnetx from Connecticut
26 March 2006

Exceptional acting on the part of the actress playing the wife of a faded baseball legend makes this episode stand right up there with the very best of the greatest show in TV history, LAW & ORDER. She is by turns sassy and frightened, elated and depressed, and uses a minimum of dialog to express her chaotic feelings. The ending of this episode, involving the athlete standing before death's door, is also a stunner, which is often the case with HOUSE -- but not always. Of course, you'll have to watch it to see what happens because I'm not telling. SPORTS MEDICINE also contains the legendary clinic waiting room scene where House diagnoses several waiting patients in about a minute's time. The guy with the sticking contact lenses is not to be missed, as is House's solution to the man's problem.

A Personal Favorite

Author: Jonathan Yu (pointgiven51) from Anaheim, CA
17 July 2006

Everybody can pick out the great episodes of House - "Three Stories", "Pilot", "No Reason" - so I am going to try and point out the "diamonds in the rough." It opens up rather interestingly, complete with a couple gems from Bryan Singer and a shocking change of pace in the episode. I, for one, sure fell for it hard.

I used to watch CSI a lot and I notice a lot of similarities between it and House - foremost an infallible lead character who exercises ample amounts of deductive reasoning power. In the case of House, the sin of plot repetition is forgiven because House gives their characters a lot more shading than in CSI.

Not only does this episode posit the mandatory philosophical dilemma (one that echoes the theme of a future episode, though I must say the future one perfects it), it deepens Dr. House himself. We start seeing a lot more of his outside activities (always a pleasure) and a little of his awkward side. I especially enjoyed the latter.

This episode is a classic that I again stress should not be rushed to but instead approached. Watch the previous 11 chapters before enjoying this one. The impact will be so much more the greater.

:Point of Trivia

Author: Frank Dudley Berry, Jr. (fdber@yahoo.com) from Mountain View, Ca
27 July 2011

I liked this episode as well as the others. But I was also amused by the writer, who knew his literary and movie history. The afflicted pitcher is named 'Hank Wiggen'. He has a very well-known literary namesake. 'Henry Wiggen' was the pitcher-narrator of three excellent baseball novels by Mark Harris. The most well-known of them is 'Bang the Drum Slowly', which was made into a television drama, and then a movie in 1974, starring Michael Moriarity as the pitcher and Robert De Niro (in his debut movie) as an afflicted catcher.

The Wiggen in 'House' is hardly the cynical, insightful observer of the novels, but using the same name is a nice touch.

Okay, so who is it? Come on, she's sleeping with one of you.

Author: lastliberal from United States
7 September 2008

Meredith Monroe ("Dawson's Creek") is the wife of a baseball player with a broken arm due to drug use. He needs a kidney transplant and she is a match. Unfortunately, she is also pregnant.

The issue of baby vs. husband is debated and the question of the value of a life is raised.

This is a great episode now that House has gotten rid of that obnoxious billionaire and gotten back to practicing medicine.

Cameron and House go on a date, and it looks like Foreman may have a new girlfriend.

Looking for more great shows to come.