IMDb > "Highlander" The Gathering (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Highlander" The Gathering (1992)

1 of 119 Episodes | Next »

The pilot episode of the great TV series "Highlander".

Author: jeffman52001 from Normal, IL, USA
14 February 2007

I am so pleased that they did "Highlander: The Series", a great TV show based on the great films. The Gathering is a great pilot episode. We are introduced to Duncan MacLeod, an Immortal from Scotland and his girlfriend, Tessa Noel, who knows about Duncan being Immortal. Connor MacLeod visits Duncan and they encounter an evil Immortal named Slan Quince. In the pilot story, we are introduced to Richie Ryan, who will become Immortal later on. The show is well written and well done. Connor and Duncan get to spend time together and they practice fighting with their swords. They know that Slan Quince will be coming for them and Duncan does not want to put Tessa in danger, but she decides to stay with Duncan.

A great story and a great cast. Christopher Lambert reprises his film as Connor MacLeod for the pilot and actors Richard Moll, best know for his role on the 1980s hit comedy series "Night Court" played Slan Quince in the pilot story.

Down a familiar road.

Author: todd_barket from United States
27 March 2006

OK, so this one helps establish a connection to the movie series and the television series, but it does lack the production quality and the acting quality seen later in the series. It feels almost as if this is an off Broadway take on the plot of the first film: Large bad guy fights reluctant hero who needs the help of his mentor to win. Below average sword play and, while he has fun with the roll, Richard Moll was still not far enough removed from his 'Bull' role on night court to be an effectively menacing villain. Thankfully the series kept improving from here. We are introduced to Duncan MacLeod, a distant cousin of Connor (from the movies) born decades after Duncan has been banished. (Long enough that Duncan comments at one time in a flashback in the series that Connor was only a legend.) Duncan has left the 'game' and is trying to live as normal a life as possible for an immortal. He owns an antique shop (seems familiar), and lives with his love interest Tessa, (well played has the series goes, although she never really had a lot of screen time to develop). Into Duncans life pops Connor, who must bring him back into the game when Richard Molls character finds him. Molls character is kind of a poor mans kurgan, and doesn't really generate enough gravity for the heavy. The third repeating character introduced is one young Richie Ryan, who is caught by MacLeod when he breaks into his warehouse/store, an witnesses the first sword fight between Moll and Duncan. At the end of the episode we learn that Richie will eventually be an immortal as well and Duncan takes him on as something of an apprentice. (How Connor and Duncan can tell that he will be is not really explained) It was an uneven episode but started a fantastic franchise.

movie version does exist

Author: paul_alpine from canada
8 February 2009

I have the 98 Minute long movie version of this episode on VHS. It was made into an actual movie and was intended to be Highlander 3.

I had no idea it actually existed, and it took a bit of digging around on google to even find mention of it. The version I found was manufactured by Hemdale Home Video INC. and is dated 1993.

It's good to see another Highlander movie out there, even if it's on an all but extinct format.

My guess is they produced this as an unedited, extended version for fans and collectors, as it would likely not have been released on television in this length.

Definitely worth a watch if you can ever get your hands on it.