IMDb > "Hawaii Five-O" A Death in the Family (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Hawaii Five-O" A Death in the Family (1978)

« Prev | 241 of 281 Episodes | Next »

Author: mylancer03 from United States
16 September 2013

I was floored when they dumped Chen's body on the steps of the headquarters. Knowing how close Steve was to his men and especially Chen, I knew this was going to be an exciting episode. When they attempted to assassinate Steve I was so out done. This to me was one of the best episodes. I have watched all of them on Netflix and am coming down to the home stretch. I love the scenery of Hawaii and the people emit a sense of loyalty for culture and family. These have been some of the most exciting story lines and I am glad I had an opportunity to be a part of it's viewing audience. I read a lot of the history of Mr. Lords love for the island and the people. He left a major legacy to the institutions and culture of the island.

I was NOT looking forward to seeing this one...and it didn't leave me very satisfied when I finally did.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
7 June 2013

Up until a few years ago, I thought I'd seen every episode of "Hawaii Five-O". However, when my wife and I were talking about the show some time back, she mentioned that she really hated seeing Chin Ho get murdered on the show. Get murdered?! I'd never heard about that and no idea that they'd killed him off in the series. Because I loved the show and his character, I really did NOT look forward to seeing "A Death in the Family"--even if it would help me to finish seeing every episode of the show. Sadly, the episode turned out to be a rather weak one--at least if you are a huge fan, like me.

The show begins with some Five-O raids on various mob (the 'Kumu') activities on the islands. While the boss of the Kumu insists that everyone lie low while the crack downs occur, his hot-headed (and rather stupid) soon-to-be son-in-law, Jimmy Rego, decides to do things his way. Instead of backing down, he ramps up his protection racket and even has the nerve to murder Chin Ho (who is on an undercover investigation). Then, he rubs it in McGarrett's face by dumping the body on the palace steps! Not surprisingly, McGarrett is determined to get the killer--and when the head of the Kumu finds out, he's more than happy to give the jerk to the police!

While the general plot is pretty good and I like the idea of killing off a main character (it does add realism that is lacking in most cop shows), the finished product left a bit to be desired. For a purist like myself, I was surprised at the lack of continuity in this episode. In earlier shows, Chin Ho had a HUGE brood of kids. Here, they only talk about his daughter! What about her sibs?! To make matters worse, she was a super-annoying character! She decided, against McGarrett's advice, to investigate the case herself and nearly gets herself killed. I HATE the 'dumb woman investigator' plot--and it seemed like a big cliché--a big dumb cliché. Had they eliminated her character completely, the show would have been a heck of a lot better--even if I did hate to see Chin Ho die.

Slight correction to another poster's comment

Author: ( from Lubbock, Texas
30 September 2006

Without taking away from another poster's comment on how heinous the murder of Chin Ho was (along with three other people killed by a bomb in the middle of the show), I meed to point out that Hawaii doesn't have a death penalty and hasn't since statehood in 1959. Johnny Rego and his two renegade hirelings would face multiple murder-one charges all right, but they would face life imprisonment. I don't know if Hawaii had life imprisonment without possibility of parole as they do now, but a cop killer and vicious mobster wasn't going to get out any time soon unless he broke prison (which happened in a couple of episodes). I don't think CBS policy at the time would have permitted the show to do a death-penalty episode anyway, and they probably had serious qualms over the 16 gunshots and a bombing (not to mention McGarrett beating up Rego and shoving a gun in his face and threatening him with everything). At the time, I'm told, there was an average limit of three violent acts (gunshots, punches thrown, etc.) per episode. It was no wonder that CBS started liking Barnaby Jones, the mildest of all the cop shows (and the most successful) over Five-O and others at this point.

Well-Done Presentation

Author: ellisel from United States
15 July 2006

In "Hawaii Five-O's" twelve-year tun, the episode "A Death in the Family" was the most interesting episode of its time. Chin Ho Kelley was undergoing a sting operation. The trek was meant to be a drug ring. The problem: Chin Ho Kelley had no idea that the mastermind of the ring was James Rego. The mastermind to the trade (unfortunately) resulted in the fatal ambush of Chin Ho Kelley after his cover became compromised beyond recognition. Steve McGarrett (obviously) found out the killing involved cocaine trafficking and extortion -- not to mention racketeering. McGarrett sought justice for this vicious murderer. He slugged James Rego until he could not take anymore beatings from the ruthless ambush of Chin Ho Kelley. Nobody -- but nobody -- ever called McGarrett a pal when a mastermind into the killing mortally wounded a peace officer. "Hawaii Five-O" should have aired a two-hour special episode titled "Hawaii Versus Rego" to start the 1978-1979 Television Season (aired September 28, 1978). The reason: the District Attorney would have sought the death penalty for James Rego on the charges of first-degree murder, drug trafficking, kidnapping, and racketeering. Any Questions?