IMDb > "Gunsmoke" The Trappers (1962) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Gunsmoke" The Trappers (1962)

« Prev | 275 of 635 Episodes | Next »

Had a low outlook but the episode was a great surprise.

Author: kfo9494 from United States
27 November 2012

Before watching this episode, I read the plot which was less than thrilling. Two trappers. Indians and diamonds- they just do not go together in the prairie of Kansas. But after watching I was pleasantly surprised and entertained by this season eight episode.

Tug Marsh and Billy Logan are partners in the fir trapping business. In fact they are returning to Dodge after a good outing catching game. But the trip like not to have happened. A woman in Dodge named Irma Watkins played on the naive trappers where both thought they wanted Irma. This game by Irma like to have broke-up the partnership.

But now everything is going well until Tug is jumped by a Indian near a creek. Billy is able to kill the Indian but Tug is severely wounded. After spend the night hiding from Indian patrols, Tug believes he is dying and asks Billy to cut his throat instead of letting the Indians kill him. However when it looked apparent that Tug's was a goner, Billy did not have the guts to kill Tug. Billy left him there hidden in the bushes thinking Tug only had hours to live. But Tug was found alive a few days later by some teenagers on a buggy ride. Tug was brought back to Dodge and cannot wait till well enough to find Billy.

After getting to Dodge and cashing in about $6000 of firs, Billy goes courting on Irma Watkins. But by now Irma has a new swindling boyfriend named Idaho Slate that likes to peddle glass rocks and sell them for diamonds. Billy believes Irma is going to marry him and buys the glass from Mr Slate for $6000. Only to be told later by Ms Kitty that they are fake.

As Irma and Slate board a stagecoach to get out of town, Billy arrives with a gun in hand. But before he can get his money back, Tug confronts him pointing a gun right right at his chest. As Billy stands with gun to his side awaiting the bullet, Slate knocks Billy in the head.

Later Billy returns to the area where him and Tug always camped. Billy is waiting for Tug to make his appearance. And sure enough it will not be long till Tug comes out of the shadows.

I really enjoyed this show. Perhaps I had low expectations and was surprised by the results or just perhaps it was a great show. The more I see Strother Martin the more impressed I am with his acting ability. A great watch for viewers.

great episode

Author: headhunter46 from Madison, Wisconsin, USA
26 June 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode for a number of reasons. It was a good story about friendship and hardship. There was also a lot of greed and deceit. It had everything it takes to make a good old west story. There was a conniving, evil woman trying to separate a men from their money. She was pretending to be romantically interested with two different fellows who were friends. Thankfully they got wise to her an left town before it was too late. She was in cahoots with a sleazy gambler who was trying to shanghai a fellow with some fake gems. There was also a knock down- drag out fight with an Indian in a stream. Later on doc saved another fellow from near death. The ending had a bit of a surprise. Gave me a good laugh.