IMDb > "The Golden Girls" Empty Nests (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Golden Girls" Empty Nests (1987)

« Prev | 51 of 177 Episodes | Next »

just awful

Author: corner-2 from Netanya, Israel
18 August 2009

This must be the only truly bad episode of "The Golden Girls". One star is one too many.

It was a completely artificial attempt to create a spin off, and it fails spectacularly. After a few minutes of enjoyment with the regular stars of the show, out of nowhere, a whole family of new characters pops in, and the rest of the show is about them. Dorothy and the others act react to them as old friends and acquaintances who we are supposed to know already. This is so abrupt and out of the blue that I thought I must have missed a previous episode. In which these characters were introduced.

Since these new characters are only mildly and occasionally amusing, they are completely out of place in what is usually a constantly entertaining and very funny show. Usually, a spin off uses characters developed and part of an already-existing show. In this case, none of the new characters had ever appeared in "The Golden Girls" before, so there was no way the audience was going to care about them or find them instantly interesting.

No surprise that the spin off never spun off.

Agree with the first review: trite, artificial and laboured

Author: booksultra from United Kingdom
21 May 2012

I'm a big fan and I loved this series when I was in my 20s. Watching series 2 for the first time, but this last one really jarred. Characters completely introduced out of the blue. Paul Dooley makes a bit of a go of his character, but Rita Moreno was bland. Before I googled this episode I was wondering if it could be some forced attempt to introduce a new show on the back of the popularity of The Golden Girls - and I was right. I found it frustrating to watch, and a little cynical of the production company to try this kind of approach. Apparently the show was drastically reworked, with different main characters and it lasted 5-6 years. They must have done something pretty radical, as this episode dies on its feet.

Ooops....

Author: Tyson-9
7 March 2014

This has to be one true flub of an otherwise fine show. I remember one or two other poor episodes, usually involving inserted extra characters or relatively "out there" premises; instances where it's like the writers forgot what the show is about (Rose in the homeless shelter comes to mind).

But no other episode was quite as bad as this.

For one, the actual Golden Girls barely appear in the episode. Instead the audience is thrown into the lives of complete unknowns amid empty nest related marital problems. We have no relationship with these characters whatsoever, and would have zero context for what they're going thru were it not delivered in very stark and false-sounding dialogue early on. We have very little reason to care about them, a circumstance that isn't helped by the fact that they're written as generic caricatures, terribly acted, and with zero reality or real emotion injected into their dialogue scenes. Much of it bordered on painful to watch.

Throw in an awful final line, and humor that pokes fun at mental illness, and well......let's just say this episode was a disappointment and a bit of set-back to my recent joyful reunion with The Golden Girls.

Empty Nests (#2.26)

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
16 January 2014

What the hell did I just watch? So this was an attempt for a spin off? I must say it was a huge mistake! Spin offs work out when the characters may be secondary but you have watched them through the show and got to love them, not just add some random characters out of nowhere. Who would even believe it could work out? If I turn on to watch Golden Girls, I want to see Dorothy, Rose, Blanche and Sophia. Not whoever those people were. The good thing it seems TV people learned from this mistake because I have never seen such nonsense again. As for the show, I think David Leisure's character had some potential, the rest were boring. Rota Moreno didn't even act well, I don't think she even got her character. Not that I can blame her, I would have trouble associating with someone who apparently had no own interests in life and wants her husband to stop working now that kids are gone so he can entertain her.