IMDb > "The Golden Girls" Big Daddy (1986) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Golden Girls" Big Daddy (1986)

« Prev | 24 of 177 Episodes | Next »

Murray Hamilton's next to last role

Author: Chris. from Australia
19 June 2011

Just watched this episode and while I'm not a GG devotee, I was drawn to remain in front of the box during this episode by the appearance of Murray Hamilton. More specifically, I was quite shocked at his appearance - that of a gaunt, emaciated-looking and frail old man. I was aware that he died in the mid eighties of cancer, and his condition looks apparent in this episode.

He plays Blanche's father with accentuated southern country tone and garb, even though he's only a dozen years older than was Rue McClanahan in real life. Consequently it was difficult to believe his character was her father. Much is made by Dorothy of the Southern colloquialisms used by Blanche and her father, though they weren't especially funny in the first instance. A couple of mild chuckles typically emanate from Sofia attempting to intimidate a neighbour with whom the GGs are in dispute over a tree.

Formula comedy, but notable as Murray Hamilton's next to last role before his untimely passing.

Big Daddy (#1.24)

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
12 January 2014

Blanche is waiting for her "Big Daddy" to come over. When he does he shocks her because he sold his estate to become a country singer even though he is horrible at it. The neighbor's tree falls on their property and he refuses to deal with it, so Sophia "curses" him and he has all the bad things happen to him which apparently were made by his wife to make him behave better.

Both stories had their funny moments. The whole "big daddy" thing including the dress Blanche wore made me laugh. A very standard story though.

And the whole curse storyline was the funniest, I like how they made the ending.

Very weak episode

Author: simon_welch2 from Chiang Mai, Thailand
22 December 2010

This is a weak episode of Series 1, not helped by incredibly poor casting of Blanche's father; to me, he looked more suited to be latest suitor than her much lauded father. For me, I simply could not believe in the character or the relationship between the two actors.

The plot itself is weak and concerns Blanche's father's decision to sell the family home and take up[ a career as a country and western singer, despite having no talent whatsoever.

There are the usual scattering of sassy one liners, as usual Bea Arthur taking the lion's share of these, but overall this episode left me disappointed.