IMDb > "Futurama" Xmas Story (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Futurama" Xmas Story (1999)

« Prev | 17 of 124 Episodes | Next »

He Knows When You Are Sleeping... He Knows When You're On The Can....

Author: Xander Seavy (RiffRaffMcKinley) from United States
9 December 2006

"Xmas Story" is arguably the greatest episode of "Futurama" ever made. John Goodman guests as a robotic Santa Claus who, according to the Professor, "invariably judges everyone to be naughty" (except, apparently, Dr. Zoidberg). When Fry angers Leela and goes out to buy her the perfect present, both their lives wind up in danger when Santa Claus comes to town. Every year, this episode must be watched, and it will be loved by numerous people because it is hilarious, well-written, and carries more of a message than any other episode in the whole series. In addition, all the actors are at their best, especially John DiMaggio as Bender, John Goodman as Santa, and Conan O'Brien as his own disembodied head ("Oh! Looks like somebody forgot to feed Max!")

Good lord! They don't know about Santa Claus!

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
22 December 2013

For the tenth Christmas title I have decided to review in celebration of the holiday I have decided to review an old favourite of mine since I was a kid. Futurama.

The plot is that the Planet Express Crew go on some kind of skiing trip and it reminds Fry of the Christmas atmosphere (or Xmas) and he gets lonely because all the people he loved died 1000 years ago. While this is going on Leela gets lonely because she was the only one of her species in all the known universe. Fry decides to buy her an Xmas present but he is also warned about a psychotic robot Santa who brutally slaughters anyone who's on his naughty list, his standards are also set ridiculously high so he judges everyone to be naughty.

I think the one thing that everybody remembers this episode for is the psychotic Santa Claus. What he does is so demented and... Non-Santa-like that it's just a treat to watch. Lines such as "Your mistletoe is no match for my T.O.W missile" were always a treat to watch.

I know I'm not really going to be talking that much about the rest of what happens and that's because... If you insert a gun-happy robotic Santa that's the thing people are going to take away from this episode and it is. This is always a fun episode to watch around Christmas. It's hilarious.

A great Christmas episode

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
14 April 2012

This is another episode that demonstrates just how good Futurama can be. It starts shortly before Fry's first Christmas in the future... or as it is now known Xmas. After some entertaining escapades on the ski slopes they return to the office where Fry starts to feel upset because everybody he was once close to is long dead; he is so busy feeling sorry for himself that he doesn't notice that things are even worse for Leela; she is the only known member of her species in the universe. When this is pointed out to him he is determined to get her a present to cheer her up. He is warned that he must be back by sundown however or he is likely to be gunned down by a robotic Santa Claus who kills anybody he judges to have been naughty... and he is very strict. Inevitable Fry stays out too long and Leela goes out to save him. Also out is Bender; his reasons are less charitable though; he heard they were giving free booze to homeless robots so thought he'd have some.

There are lots of great jokes in this episode and even some slightly tense scenes which is a bit surprising as we known now of the main cast are going to get killed! Their winter sports session was packed with laughs; I particularly liked the professor's amazing skiing... while he was fast asleep! Robot Santa, voiced by guest star John Goodman, was a great guest character who I'm sure will return in a future Christmas special... he certainly said he'd be back. He had plenty of great moments; highlights include when he fired a TOW-missile are Fry and Leela as they were about to kiss under the mistletoe and when he announces that one of the Planet Express crew has been good... I won't spoil anything by naming the character though!

Safety Last

Author: suchenwi (suchenwi@o2online.de) from Konstanz, Germany
26 July 2008

Oh wow. I'm just beginning to acquire my taste for Futurama, but this episode really made me cry with joy.

Like in others, it is chock full with gags and surprising good ideas. But what really blew me was the scene when Fry chases the parrot up on a skyscraper, and falls from the rim just to hold on to the digital clock. Such a witty reference to Harold Lloyd's "Safety Last" (1923), where the clock scene I thought was iconic in film culture - I was surprised it's not listed under Movie References here.

Much more, of course - another I liked was the mistletoe / TOW missile confrontation... I'm gonna re-watch this around Dec 24 :^)

The One With Xmas...

Author: Taylor Kingston from Australia
2 June 2015

I enjoy this episode. It makes me kind of sad though, because I love Christmas and the idea of Santa.

In this episode, it's Christmas and Fry is shocked to discover that Christmas has changed a lot in the last thousand years. First off, no one calls it Christmas, everyone calls it Xmas, and Robot Santa is quite vicious as he terrorizes New New York. Robot Santa is actually quite creepy and disturbing.

Title Gag: Based on a true story.

Overall, I give this episode a 7 out of 10, which in my ratings book is: Great.