"Friday the 13th: The Series" The Great Montarro (1987)

« Prev | 6 of 72 Episodes | Next »

getting better

Author: movieman_kev from United States
12 March 2009

The trio of Ryan, Micki & Jack figure out that the 'Cabinet of Houdin' is in a new owner's hands after reading about the death of a renowned magician & cross-referencing it with the list of people who bought from 'Curious Goods'. They must go undercover and audition in a magic show to find it and get it back safely. Good thing Jack was quite the magician himself in his heyday.

The second Durnford King written episode ('Poison Pen' was the first) is a tad better and the series itself started to pick up as a whole as well. There were still some things I didn't really like about the episode (Micki being naive) but I found myself getting into it none the less. It was good to finally get the bad taste out of my mouth that the previous three episodes put there.

My Grade: C+

Subpar, but still finding its identity.

Author: The_King_of_Cool from United States
16 September 2017

Episode 6: The Great Montarro- ** ½

The trio looks into a magician using a cursed magic box. Overall I found this episode rather dull; while not horrible it just doesn't work in general this was one of the weaker episodes of the season and series.

Do you believe in magic?

Author: Allexander Lyons (allexand1@comcast.net) from United States
2 July 2009

Micki, Ryan, and Jack's latest lead takes them to a magician's convention where they must locate a cursed magic box that allows its owner to perform death-defying stunts provided that someone is kept in the box to absorb the damage.

"The Great Montarro" was the first episode since the pilot to really keep me entertained. While I did enjoy "A Cup of Time," I enjoyed it more for its overall silliness. I enjoyed "Montarro" because it was interesting and the writing was of a much higher quality.

The antique-of-the-week was definitely original although it was the first antique that left me wondering how they were going to fit it into the vault (and it certainly wouldn't be the last). The storyline is pretty imaginative as it functions as more of a whodunit with a few good twists and turns and has several characters with their own hidden agendas. I did figure out ultimately who the real culprit was but this doesn't really hurt the episode that much. It's certainly fun watching the story unfold as we're momentarily fooled into thinking that Jack died from a magic stunt gone wrong and we're presented with a magician, rather convincingly I might add, disguised in drag who's trying to get the box back for himself. This episode seemed to have less filler scenes in it as well.

There are, of course, a few problems present. The most glaring is that when Micki finally finds the cursed box, she gets right in! At this point, anybody with half a brain knows that she's being set up, so why get in the thing? At least make it hard for the villain. The other problem is with how Jack and Ryan get her out. Since these antiques are supposed to be indestructible, it left me wondering how they were able to successfully tamper with it. Granted they didn't break it, but it's just a minor nitpick.

Despite some unbelievably stupid behavior from Micki, "The Great Montarro" is a good episode and shows that this series is on the right track.