IMDb > "Freaks and Geeks" Pilot (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Freaks and Geeks" Pilot (1999)

1 of 18 Episodes | Next »

Clever and hilarious

Author: SleepTight666 from Netherlands
16 January 2009

A wonderful Pilot to a wonderful show.

Perhaps not perfect all the way through, but for a teen series at the late 90's it was certainly perfect.

The clever and hilarious dialog is mixed with some nice and touching drama.

The show happens in the 80's, yet you can still notice all the similarities of high school to these days. Kids are still mean, everyone's confused and miserable.

In the Pilot, you're introduced to a couple of Freaks (Favorite: Lindsey) and a couple of Geeks (Favorite: Bill) and even though they are an entirely different group. I can still identify with both.

There are many memorable moments in the Pilot, but my favorite was the homecoming dance. It was bound to leave a smile upon your face.

Four Stars

Good Stuff

Author: weibowil from Malaysia
21 December 2014

Loved it! I just watched the Pilot episode today, after hearing Seth Rogen and James Franco mention it repeatedly during interviews :) Halfway into this Pilot episode, I already grasped the concept of the title 'Freaks & Geeks' and saw that Lindsay is the center of the show. Good writing too! The show captures the angst of one's teenage years well - a time of undergoing changes in our personality, which ultimately manifest via our external interaction and dynamics, as we face new situations sometimes seemingly beyond our coping :) Well made! Seth had sort of a John Travolta vibe back then (!) and great to see Jason Segel too! So glad to have this Judd Appatow brand of humour in Hollywood and see the Freaks & Geeks alumni doing well in cinema because they stayed true to themselves!