IMDb > "Foyle's War" The French Drop (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Foyle's War" The French Drop (2004)

« Prev | 9 of 28 Episodes | Next »

Threepence each way?

Author: brendaandwilliam from Canada
11 January 2008

In this episode (and also in The White Feather) reference is made to the polygonal brass threepenny coin as "a threepenny piece." But I believe this coin was invariably referred to as "a threepenny bit." (Threepenny, however, is pronounced correctly in both episodes.} In The French Drop we actually see the coin and indeed it is an authentic threepenny bit (piece?) The Oxford English Dictionary is ambiguous - suggesting that "bit" was a colloquialism, just as "quid" was a colloquialism for "pound". But I never heard the "thruppence" referred to as a "piece". What an absorbing series this has been - wondrous acting, costuming, set dressing, filming. And embedded in each episode is an authentic and interesting social/ethical issue.

Threepenny pieces

Author: Ann Burlingham (annb-4) from Perry, NY United States
14 June 2012

With regard to the usage "threepenny piece" as discussed in another review, now that Google Ngram Viewer exists, it is possible to to search for the frequency of phrases in printed material from an era. In this case, I searched "threepenny piece" and "threepenny bit". The first comes up as the older usage, the latter more recent, with the popularity of each phrase crossing about 1910: http://books.google.com/ngrams. I am afraid readers will have to submit the search again themselves, as it appears IMDb is not allowing me to include the search results link.

It seems to me "threepenny piece" is the more formal term, supplanted over time by a more slangy usage, though my instinct could be wrong. Still, "threepenny piece" was certainly in use at the time of the war.

some minor complaints

Author: (itcsrg) from Winchester, England
18 January 2011

The Special Operations Executive (SOE) was a very resourceful organisation and had some very extraordinary people working for it but I doubt whether even they could have arranged to play Charles Trenet's record of"La Mer"in the Hill House lounge in February 1941. The song was not composed until 1943, 2 years after the action portrayed in this episode was supposed to have taken place. There are plenty of other artists and recordings that could have given the same, but more accurate, wartime music atmosphere.

I also felt that the amount of butter provided by the Rev. Aubrey Stewart on the tea table was excessively generous - probably an entire month's ration, which is unlikely.

Still, it was an enjoyable episode...