IMDb > "Four Star Playhouse" Trudy (1955) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Four Star Playhouse" Trudy (1955)

« Prev | 84 of 129 Episodes | Next »

So awful as to be worth the time

Author: jaywallis02 from Canada
6 October 2006

A frighteningly sweet tale of an optimistic young girl who captivates the her community of friends, all men, with her sweetness and innocence. She surprises them by announcing she plans to marry that very night and asks for their help in setting up the wedding - to a groom no one has met ! Not wanting to disappoint her they set out to make it work , all the while doubting the bride groom really exists

This short film ( less than 30 minutes) has all the stereotypes you can ever imagine rolled into one short episode. The poor preacher, the Irish cop and the lonely Chinese laundry bachelor man - who speaks with a German accent-the skinflint with a heart of gold. A time capsule for sure!

Aside from being really, really dumb and poorly cast, it's not completely awful!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
18 February 2016

This is one of the poorest episodes of "Four Star Playhouse" I have seen--and I have seen and reviewed most of the episodes. The writing and casting of one of the actors are just terrible...and Joan Fontaine clearly seems like an addle-brained idiot in this one.

When the show begins, Trudy (Fontaine) is running about late at night trying to create an impromptu wedding for some man who may or may not exist! This is because again and again, this super-flaky lady closes her eyes and HOPES and expect whatever she hopes for to happen. Had she been 4 years-old, this might have made sense! After a while, more and more of her hastily assembled friends come to believe this is all some crazy delusion--and her actions do nothing but reinforce this.

Casting an obviously Non-Chinese man to play a Chinese man is a HUGE problem with this one. Mr. Yen seems about as Chinese as tacos and Weiner Schnitzel!!! Additionally, the script is just bad and made me cringe throughout. In many of my reviews of "Four Star Playhouse" shows I mention where you can download them for free...but with this one, I'll just keep that to myself!