"Fantasy Island" The Swinger/Terrors of the Mind (1980)

« Prev | 60 of 154 Episodes | Next »

Philly idol shines!

Author: stones78 from United States
25 July 2014

I wouldn't exactly call Frankie Avalon's performance legendary by any means, but he does stand out as a man who falls for Lisa Hartman's character, and she has a dangerous fantasy to look into the future. It's fairly obvious that he looks much older than, as he is actually 17 years older than her in real life! If you can overlook that, "Terrors of the Mind" is the better of the 2 stories, and has that "darker" factor which I prefer for this show. Without giving too much away, one of the final scenes at the darkened church and cemetery, where she thinks she'll get murdered, was my favorite moment of this episode. Avalon showed some decent acting chops, rather than a goofy beach bum, and he made the most out of his scenes. The other story was the typical plot of an aging divorced man, played by Howard Morris, looking to get lucky with the ladies; look for familiar faces in Anne Francis, Jack Carter, and Judy Landers. This segment was a bit better than I thought, but not that much better, although it was enjoyable to an extent. The disco music was simply awful, and that must be mentioned too.