"Fantasy Island" Cowboy/Substitute Wife (1979)

« Prev | 31 of 154 Episodes | Next »

Tears of a Clown

Author: stones78 from United States
10 June 2015

This episode had an odd mix of guest stars, including Peter Lawford(one of his final roles), Jayne Meadows, Hugh O'Brian, and Hans Conreid. The best performance, in my opinion, was from young Johnny Timko, who was 13 at the time and displayed some real acting chops. Nothing too much stands out with either story, but a few interesting tidbits caught my attention; first off, there's a type of game show hosted by Mr. Roarke, called "Fantasy Female", which probably wouldn't fly today with all the political correctness, but it involves a woman being picked for a man, although for a reason I'm too lazy to explain. Another scene that was slightly different was Conreid's performance as Dr. Van Helsing, as his fantasy was to give a fatal diagnosis to a patient. That's right, I said it! As I said above, the best performance was from Timko, who plays the son of Brian Kehoe(O'Brian), and I'm surprised he didn't get many more roles after this 1979 episode. Anyway, my preference for this show is the darker segments, and while neither story went that route, I would say this episode was slightly better than average.