"Star Trek: Enterprise" These Are the Voyages... (TV Episode 2005) Poster

41 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Stinks of Berman and Braga
Andariel Halo16 October 2010
After two years of noble efforts to save "Enterprise" by its writers, the murderers of this franchise, Rick Berman and Brannon Braga, return to write the series finale to a show that was on its way to following the path of The Next Generation---an abysmal start with its first two seasons, and a sudden sharp rise in quality starting with the third season.

Instead, Enterprise was essentially dead by season 2, and the damage was irreversible, even as the quality of episodes reached even levels of certain TNG episodes in terms of impact and quality.

Even without the obvious point if this technically being a story stolen by TNG Riker and Troi, the script stinks, STINKS, of the same tired, stupid tropes Berman and Braga littered the first two seasons with, with stupid meta-references dropped like "Here's to the Next Generation" and "All good things...", or one-dimensional characterizations like "I'm a Vulcan; I don't miss people" which goes COMPLETELY AGAINST what'd been occurring for the past year's worth of episodes, or droning, repetitive statements of "I never thought Vulcans and Andorians would work together!" again despite EVERYTHING that'd been occurring for the PAST YEAR'S worth of episodes, and PAINFULLY unsubtle remarks by characters.

Like a typical Berman and Braga script, along with the stupid dialogue and shallow comments and characterization, there are tons of unfunny jokes, a story featuring random ALIENS OF THE WEEK that are so blatantly evil and one-dimensional, it feels almost insulting that even Commander Tucker, a guy who would normally rank among the lowest of notable Star Trek characters if not for his relationship with T'Pol making him a real character, dies while killing a bunch of these arbitrary idiots.

It's a death rather like Tasha Yar's; killed by some random alien that will never have any effect in Trek history ever again, for pretty much no reason.

There literally is no story. Enterprise is on its way for Archer to sign the treaty that creates the Federation when Shrann appears, apparently having faked his own death for whatever reason, and forces Archer to help him rescue his daughter from pirates or whatever. They save her, and the pirates find Enterprise and board it, only for Tucker to suicide bomb them. The rest involves Riker and Troi with the Pegasus thing, and a decision Riker has to make which, for the life of me, I absolutely cannot remember or even care about.

Riker...

I wish I were exaggerating when I say that Riker's (or Troi's) presence is like a hammer smash to the face, completely DESTROYING all the immersion and drama of a scene, reminding you that "HEY, this is all a holographic illusion with a surprisingly old and fat Riker standing around looking horribly out of place watching it all". He's always just THERE, for no good reason other than to diminish Enterprise for the sake of what couldn't even be considered a SUBPLOT for a TNG episode.

TNG's finale was hardly "final", as they knew they were going to make movies to continue the franchise. Deep Space Nine ended with a bang of a war's conclusion. Even Voyager had a big finale involving technobabbling Voyager home.

Aside from the end of the holographic story where Enterprise is nonsensically mothballed and the Federation is established, the events in this story can hardly be considered more than filler, made all the more irritating for its pointlessness.

The only good part of the episode was the very end, where the famous "Where No Man/One Has Gone Before" recitation is done, by all three Enterprise captains, starting with Picard, Kirk, and Archer.

Thanks for killing Enterprise, Berman and Braga, and thanks for giving Enterprise a send-off that not only completely squanders everything that was great about the improved Enterprise present JUST IN THE PREVIOUS EPISODE ALONE and squatting out a story not fit even for the Original Series's finale.
27 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Berman & Braga say "Screw you, Trekkies!"
NavyOrion12 February 2010
Easily the most unsatisfying end-of-series episode I have ever seen, "These Are the Voyages" was nonetheless an appropriate send-off for "Enterprise" in that it was, like much of the series, full of unrealized potential.

There was no reason to wrap the whole story, set some six years after the fourth season's events, in a ridiculous "Next Generation" plot based on a minor seventh-season TNG story, "The Pegasus." It was distracting to see Frakes and Sirtis trying to look relevant (and struggling not to look old and fat) in their younger characters, after we had seen so much greater growth over the course of several feature films. The idea of play-acting on the holodeck for several days (don't you have some actual WORK to do, Commander?) as an effective way to reach a decision was embarrassing. I wanted to shake him: "Man up, Riker!"

What was the most annoying aspect of the movie "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" (aside from the aging crew shoe-horned into their uniforms and an insipid plot)? The idea that "Oh, did I forget to mention all these years that I have a brother?" And yet that kind of "conveniently forgotten" fact is exactly what they did here. Suddenly, the ship's cook (yes the COOK) is a major player, everybody's buddy, and privy to more information than a bridge officer. For the whole series, they've treated this guy like a combination of "Tim the Toolman Taylor's" over-the-fence neighbor that you never actually see, and DS9's Morn, whom you never hear. So from whence comes this idea that "Chef" (he doesn't even get a name?) was the confidant of every person on board? Seems like something that might have been mentioned at SOME point in the last four years. The series finale is a bit late to stuff in a point like that, guys.

Bad as the idea was of having these guest stars cluttering up the story, other facets of the episode seemed less oversight or poor judgment than deliberate slaps in the face. One of the most poignant points of any show is the death of a major character; in the Star Trek universe, this is exemplified by the deaths of Spock, Kirk, and Data in the feature films, each of which was an emotional climax of their respective movie. Yet Troi is given a line that completely ruins this, telling the viewers a good 20 minutes ahead of time that Tripp Tucker is going to die.

Annoying as the questions around Tucker's death are (blowing up a compartment was his BEST idea? Had Shran really left or not? Where the hell were the MACOs?) it was the death scene itself that was worst. Why? Because there WASN'T a death scene! Gravely injured, Tucker is rushed into a chamber in sickbay. We break for commercial to watch several minutes of ads for toilet paper and Big Macs, and then come back to find Archer and T'Pol in Tripps quarters. It's only after a minute or so of dialog that it is confirmed for the viewer that he has died! If I were Conner Trinneer, I would fire the agent that let me get cheated like that. The only ones cheated more were the fans.

Finally, the last scene of the last episode of the last Star Trek TV series arrives. It's Archer's speech, the speech that he has been thinking about the whole episode, the speech that marks the foundation of the Federation, the speech that frikkin' Troi had to memorize in grade school, for pete's sake! This should be good, stirring stuff, full of Horatio Hornblower and starry eyes, a cherry on top of a lackluster series, one last chance for the writers to redeem themselves for four years of hackery that almost ended the 40-year run of Star Trek. And what does Riker say? "Computer, end program." Fade out, steal Shatner's monologue, roll credits.

If Berman and Braga hadn't screwed up so much in this series, after doing much the same with BOTH "Star Trek: Insurrection" and "Star Trek: Nemesis" the franchise might well have been kept out of the disrespectful hands of J.J. Abrams and his 2010 "re-imagining" of the Star Trek saga. Let us hope that B&B will never again be allowed near it.
37 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What An Insult...
carpentersfan200320 June 2008
All I can say about this finale is that it was complete and utter trash. Bringing in Troi and Riker was a mistake of monumental proportions. Not to mention having two "ledgends" on the show stole the thunder from the cast of the Enterprise.

I have heard that Jolene ( T'Pol ) has stated that the final episode of Enterprise is "total crap" and that she was embarrassed to be a part of it, this is an opinion that is shared by both Scott Bakula and Connor Trinneer.

Personally I think Braga's comment about this episode as being a " Valentine to the fans" is total B.S. and he can shove his Valentine where the sun don't shine.

In a word... SHAMEFUL!!!!
69 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Did not Deserve to End; Nevertheless, Deserved a Better Ending
Claudio Carvalho7 May 2010
Enterprise is one of the best series of television ever, with excellent shows and great chemistry of the characters. Along the four seasons, I tried to prolong the maximum I could to enjoy T'Pol, Archer, Dr. Phlox, Trip, Reed, Hoshi and Travis and their friends and enemies. "Enterprise" did not deserve to end so soon; nevertheless, "Enterprise" deserved a better ending. I do not know what has happened with the producers and writers of this cult-series. This lame last show is a ridiculous crap entwining the story with "Next Generation" and killing Trip is a silly plot. As mentioned in other reviews, this episode is an insult to a fantastic series. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Estas São as Viagens…" ("These Are the Voyages…")
43 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Horrific, depressing, half-baked, disgraceful, insulting, disrespectful
apostle_137 June 2012
Hey Rick Berman, you just sent off Enterprise into a smouldering pile of dung. The second last episode "Terra Prime" is how my heart will remember Enterprise ending, dignified and heartwarming.

Why would you crush the hearts of loyal fans with such drivel? The entire dialogue, premise and plot were incredibly amateurish as if it was written at lunch break by the company accountant.

After "Terra Prime"'s sad yet beautiful ending it really tied a lot of loose bits for fans. Nothing more was needed.

Please never touch anything Trek related again before you completely destroy the franchise.

Pathetic.
35 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Final Insult: Berman and Braga insult fans everywhere with horrific finale episode: Where was the CAST?
Ricimer3 February 2006
This episode was so incredibly bad, and simply insulting, to the viewers, that I seriously had to ask "Have B&B (Berman and Braga) really become so bad at this that they thought we'd like this episode?...or were they trying to insult us *on purpose*?".

I mean, just like 20 years later people still remember the ridiculous "Dallas" season-erasing dream/shower episode, 20 years from now people will remember this as one of the infamous worst endings of any TV series.

Basically, this is *NOT* the Enterprise finale. B&B framed the whole episode as a "holodeck program" being viewed by Riker and Troi during Next Generation's 7th season.

***The regular cast of "Enterprise" gets no time in this episode. Archer, T'Pol, and Tucker are the only ones that have any meaningful dialog. The problem was that Mayweather, Hoshi, Reed, and Phlox don't get anything to do here. The cast of Enterprise is not really present for their own series finale.

***The biggest complaint is they kill off Commander Trip Tucker. This is officially the **silliest character death in the history of Star Trek and possibly of all scifi TV** Riker is (supposedly) watching this holoprogram to get insight into his own dilemma about following orders (which he knew were morally wrong) in the Next Gen 7th season episode "Pegasus", by watching a "famous historical example of someone breaking orders for the greater good".

Enterprise is boarded by random alien pirates, who hold Archer and Tucker at gunpoint. Now, let me remind you; Archer being kidnapped by bad aliens was such an overused plot line in seasons 1 and 2 that fans *begged* the show to stop doing that The point is that these guys have been held at gunpoint all the time; what they do is wait for their other crewmembers (remember them?) to rescue them.

What happens is that Archer is willing to stay at gunpoint, but Tucker says he wants to try something, as Archer is getting punched. Archer shouts that he "orders" Trip not to try anything, but Trip "breaks orders" by doing it anyway: he tells the alien pirates that he will put them in communication with the bridge, leads them over to a maintenance panel, then intentionally misconnects two power cables in his hands, to cause a massive explosion that kills himself and the pirates, thus saving Archer. That's it.

My questions are; 1) Why would Tucker suddenly do something (like causing an EXPLOSION) which he knew would definitely kill himself, when he's been in random hostage situations MANY TIMES during the course of the series? 2) **HOW WAS THIS IN ANY WAY AN "ORDER"???*** Riker's "breaking of orders" dilemma was that he had been ordered by a corrupt admiral not to tell anyone that the Federation was conducting secret weapons experiments in direct violation of international treaties, but he felt this was wrong and wanted to tell Picard. This was longstanding issue, which he struggled with for several days. This whole situation is NOT COMPARABLE to that! *****In interviews, Connor Trinner, who plays Tucker, basically stated that A) Berman and Braga knew that Tucker was the most popular character on the show and B) essentially realized that there was nothing emotionally involving in the incredibly bad script they had written, so they sank to the lowest common denominator by just killing off a beloved character to get people to "like" the "tear-jerker" ending. But it's such a forced, obviously scripted death that it was just silly. Many fans hope that a later series will simply explain this away as a hologram error, and that Tucker never died.

On top of this, the entire episode is centered around Archer having to give a speech at the signing of the Federation charter: struggling with what to write, etc. The final scene is of him walking out the door into a forum to give the speech, then ***Riker says "computer, end program" and the whole thing turns off. We never hear the speech, after all of that hype. Not. One. Word. Maybe they were trying to give the idea that it was such a good speech that we could never hear the whole thing, that it was so legendary and good that we should just let our imaginations run wild with how good it was. I can understand not giving the WHOLE thing, but not a single line?! Not a single quote?! For the amount of hype they gave to it (according to them, Tucker killed himself so Archer could deliver this speech on time!) we should have heard something.

*****The final shot is of Archer, Kirk, and Picard doing a narration of the "These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise" monologue, intercutting with each other as we see the three Enterprises fly by. A lot of casual fans said "oh, this was a good episode, I liked that montage at the end"....well, it could have been inserted into any given episode, and honestly, did it SERVE THE PLOT IN ANY WAY? Character development, etc? IT WAS A CHEAP TRICK.

On top of this, Berman and Braga didn't even THINK of that; they stated that they literally wanted to have Riker say "Computer, end program", have him walk out of the holodeck, then fade to black. Credits role. That's it. The end of Star Trek. How these monsters keep getting work, I will never know.

That's it. I'm watching Ron D. Moore's Battlestar Galactica now. It's the best scifi show since DS9 went off the air (which, conspicuously, was also the last Star Trek which Moore worked on...). RDM set out with BSG to fix everything about scifi TV that B&B got wrong with the last 7 years of Star Trek; and he did it! Characterization, dark tone, smarter dialog, no Seven of Nines! Ron D. Moore and Battlestar Galactica have inherited the mantle of Scifi television.

By your command!
59 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
WHAT a cop out.......
gritfrombray-123 April 2007
This show had so much potential. Establishment of The Prime Directive, the Klingon war, and the founding of The United Federation Of Planets. As Season 4 was nearing the end the episodes were pretty good, in fact I never really had a problem with this show as it was character driven with a good cast. Going through the other series finales, TOS's Turnabout Intruder, not great but back in the '60s with little or no money it was, as much as can be expected. TNG's All Good Things, mindblowing. The ultimate send off for that show. Not matched since. DS9's what You Leave Behind, brilliant stuff, although left wide open for a sequel that never happened... Voyager, 7 seasons, about ten good episodes. No more to be said. Cop out finale too. But this finale, These Are The Voyages is the stinker of all stinker finales. WHAT were the writers thinking when a TNG story was suggested?? The whole thing was terrible. Not ONE redeeming quality. It ended all a little inconclusively and made Trek look real bad. Watch this at your own peril....
30 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sad ending to a show that deserved better ...
paoguy7 August 2006
Truly this is the worst series-ending episode that I can ever recall. "Forever Knight's" finale broke my heart, but at least it had some substance. This episode was simply terrible. Perhaps the producers wanted to ensure that they would kill this series once and for all with this episode. Well, they surely did. This show was a disappointment, but did have its moments. Its crew deserved a better send off. I would have preferred for them to be lost forever or assimilated by the Borg instead of being treated like this. It's very sad indeed. I would hope this means that if any other attempts to make a Star Trek series are made that it will have new producers and writers. This effort was truly terrible.
31 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If History Serves to Remind
mardermj9 January 2013
Never post to internet, what you don't want haunting you, forever. That statement also has a prequel.

Never put together a series finale, where fans still roil in pain at its mentioning decades later.

So where we are, nearly a decade after the finale of this flawed but curiously interesting series?

Still furious, still steaming. And wishing we could execute Shatner's imperative, to "get a life" beyond Trek.

In short, if this finale was a B and B "Valentine" to the fans, consider what might happen if you showed up on Valentine's day with a vacuum cleaner as a gift in lieu of flowers.

Would it not be a disaster you'd never get over, never hear the end of no matter how much time has passed?

Well, here we are!

How bad was this finale? I hope they end the series with Blu-Ray 4th Season at Terra Prime, and isolate this last episode into some "Epilogue" extra with lots of mea culpa secondary tracts by B and B and the cast--of the original Enterprise.

As to this episode, what utter betrayal to both artists and fans.

During the four year run I got past the totally inappropriate theme music, the titillation of a Spock with boobs, another heavily accented engineer, the counter McCoy smiley Doc Phlox - as arcs in the last year were getting interestingly past alien of the week.

Much has been correctly made of the marginalization of the entire cast and crew by framing this episode, nay, entire series, inside a holodeck dream TNG sequence overseen by middle aged, chubby Riker sporting Shatner's old hairpiece.

What was the throwaway death of Trip about? So Archer could make a meeting on time? What a B and B sop to studio execs and their meetings, why folks would sacrifice lives to have their leaders make one! All that build up to a speech never recited! All the hope between Trip/T'Pal dashed.

Certainly real life doesn't work happily ever after, there's real tragedy, folks die, people move on. But our fiction, however dark, is more a place where we like to imbue closure and what the world should look like. Even "Lost" had folks dieing happily ever after and many of us thought that ending was tripe and pandering.

But this Enterprise finale plot goes down in history, as the Dallas dream sequence that brought back brother Bobby to the living did, as one of the off putting in TV history.

I mirror Blalock's comments. "Crap". "Appalling". It marginalized everyone by reducing them to stand ins on a TNG holodeck.

It was as if B and B were saying, OK, we struggled with these plot lines, but you didn't support us with a big enough fan base to make this commercially successful, we'll get you for that. We'll show you. For investing in these characters, our last lines will be "it's only a dream, it isn't "real". That'll fix ya!

Yup. Just a dream. But some nightmares haunt forever.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pathetic Finale
Goldberg_176_200013 November 2006
What an insult. While Enterprise was not as good or popular as TNG the decision to base the last episode of Enterprise around two stars from another show was a blatant insult to the cast of Enterprise who were not at fault for their show not being as good writing wise as the others. I was insulted and appalled and time has not diluted that feeling. It was decisions like this that lead to Enterprise being less popular than the others. I strongly recommend you run away from this episode full speed ahead. As a whole Enterprise the series has some good episodes mixed in. Best bet pretend Terra Prime is the series finale and pretend this one doesn't exist.
61 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yes... It really was that bad!!!
Anthony Nickleson12 August 2012
I don't normally post to these type of boards but the finale was so bad, I had to put my two cents in. I can't say I am a die hard trekkie but I started becoming more of a fan with TNG. I was excited about this series until I heard that they cast Bakula as a captain, I thought this was probably a dismal failure to begin with so I never really gave it much of a chance. I didn't want to see the Quantum Leap guy on the bridge. I guess I needed more time to digest it. It wasn't until recently, (2012), that I decided to watched the "streamed series" of Enterprise, (hey it's still a new series for me to watch so give me a break! LOL)

Overall, I began to grow fond of Scott as a captain, he seemed to settle into the captains chair nicely. To my amazement, I actually enjoyed all the crew and their traits seemed to fit them well. In my opinion, this franchise was lost in season 4 and I blame the writers. Somewhere around the episode with the orion women things started falling apart. You can tell it even in the crews acting that they were not thrilled with how things were going.

The whole Xindi season was stellar, it's too bad they couldn't do the same for season 4 and arc another big mission of an entire season.

Season four was a waste of streaming bandwidth. And then... the final episode... OMG!

I always loved Riker and Troi but they should have never been cast to this episode. Look, we are all getting older, and I rather remember these two as young heros. Troi, well.... she's still got it but they made her up way too heavy. Riker... I love ya man but we both put on some weight and some wrinkles over the years. The least they could have done was get you a new TNG uniform that fit you versus stuffing you in the same one you use to use back in the 80's. Also, a little Just For Men wouldn't have hurt either. This was not how I want to remember my TNG heros.

I get the fact that the season came to an abrupt end, but the whole deal being packaged the way it was, in my opinion, did a huge discredit the entire NX-01 crew/actors. A holodeck program? Killing Trip? A large #1 with a side of Troi? WTF, when did they ever mention that they confide in the chef?

I would have rather seen the crew of Enterprise be the focal point and not stand in the shadows of the TNG stars. If they needed to whip out a finale, they should have taken clips and mixed them in with interviews of the enterprise actors, funniest moments, etc. At least that would have been an appropriate send off.

Nothing but love for the entire cast of Enterprise. You got a raw deal in the end and every knows it. Thanks for a great show while it lasted.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Love the series, but the ending just stunk...
zopop11921 January 2013
I just completed watching Enterprise on Netflix. I have to say as a long time Star Trek fan, I was a less than enthralled during the first two seasons, however the final two picked up the pace and I ended up enjoying the way they moved the story along. I particularly liked the cover episode regarding one of the age old Trek questions about how the Klingons from the original series might have developed ridges by the time the movies were made... at any rate.. the finale for Enterprise was lame on several counts, some of which have already been talked about. I don't have a problem so much with them bridging into the TNG... but it was a little too much of that and not enough closure for the series. Killing off a character is always expected.. but Tripp's death was just lame and Troi spoiling it early sort of lamer. Not allowing the series to end with the Captain's speech to the delegates was also sort of lame.. sort of short cheated the Captain Archer legacy... I have to think that this was thrown together once they knew the series was not going to be renewed.. at any rate, its too bad it ended where it did, because I think it was just starting to get good. It would have made more sense to try and bring the story as close to the roots of the Original series time line as they could in a bridge than to do what they did...
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
insulting
anubis091324 October 2006
This episode was an insult to the very spirit of Star Trek, not to mention the cast of Star Trek: Enterprise itself. I don't know what Berman and Braga were thinking when they wrote this episode. I don't know whether they thought it would actually read as a proper send-off to the series. I am not them. What I do know is that the entire episode reeked of a hastily constructed "screw you!" to the fans. Over the course of the hour most of the plot development established over the series is completely torn apart and replaced with an insane "watch Johnathan Frakes try REALLY HARD to look 20 years younger!" variety show where the cast of Enterprise comes in one by one to talk to him about their problems.

And did I mention that the story was completely insipid? No? Well, it was. It might have made a cute episode of the series, but the fact that it was the series finale and, by extension, somewhat of a "farewell" to the entire franchise, made it nothing short of horrifying. And I won't get into the end of the episode, but it was the visual equivalent of Rick Berman himself coming into your house and punching you in the nose and then saying "THANKS FOR WATCHIN'!" Those of you that have seen it know what I mean.

My advice? Watch season one of enterprise, then skip over season two. Then watch seasons three and four up to "Terra Prime." That was a proper send-off to the series, not this piece of crap.
44 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I regret watching the final episode
Arlette22 September 2010
It was such a nice series and this final episode just ruins it. So Trip has to die because they suddenly couldn't handle a bunch of second rate villains? How very unlikely. The captain and the crew are usually so cool, calm and collected and now this? That's what bothers me the most, but it's not the only thing. Suddenly we get to meet the chef who, apparently, was a sort of counselor all these years. He wasn't even mentioned once. Mixing all these Next Generation elements could have been fine in any other random episode, but not as the series finale. In the episode preceding the finale you see Trip all sad because the baby died, but also that he might be willing to have another one with T'Pol. That might have been a good ending. Next episode they suddenly haven't seen each other in years. Really weird.

I'm sorry I ever watched it.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ouch
wyldcat250021 January 2008
I refused to watch the 'so-called' final episode of Enterprise when it came out. I bought the series on DVD and in a last minute decision put on the B&B finale. I wish I could unsee it. I won't go into a repeated opinion of what many many other fans have said about how awful it was, let me just say that they are absolutely correct about what an insult this is to Enterprise fans and the cast.

Something else that's never mentioned is that there are some people who are not TNG fans. With the exception of 2 episodes I hated the series and the crew for that matter except Picard, yet I understood its fan types and would have felt bad for them if the final episode of their series had been ruined in such a fashion as mine was. Having to watch Riker and Troi parade around as the main characters to the finale of another casts show was really an extra sting to many Enterprise fans and non-TNG fanboys. Sirtis and Frakes should have had the decency and common sense to realize what they were doing and opted to not do the episode. B&B are morons and I expect little from them and although this episode was horrible I can't honestly say I'm surprised they did it. Sirtis and Frakes, however, I'm disappointed with as I have enjoyed their works 'other' than TNG and they have now dropped into the 'feeder fish' category.
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Even IMDb takes a shot at this disgraceful finale.
cannotlogon10312 October 2010
I won't recapitulate all the negative reviews of this horrible episode (with which I agree, incidentally); however, I noticed that even IMDb subtly disapproves, listing all the cast of "Enterprise" with the designation "(hologram)" next to their characters' names, suggesting it was as if...there weren't really even there.

Touche! The fact is, the B&B send off reduced the cast of "Enterprise" to ghostly afterthoughts, not unlike hologram characters -- photonic images created by the bending of light, and not fully-formed, fleshed out characters. The cast that dedicated four years of their respective careers deserved much better than to be pushed to one side (WAY to one side!) to make way for the bulky Riker and Troi.

A disgrace. (I gave it a four, simply because I liked the Shran story line, and Jeffrey Combs is always a welcome presence.)
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An insult to the Enterprise cast!
MovieBuffMarine25 July 2006
The series left a lot to be desired. So I didn't watch it that much. But I was hoping for a decent ending so I tuned in.

But instead, they made it into a "lost scene" of the ST:TNG episode "Pegasus" and a crappy one at that. I like CDRs Riker and Troi, but hey, this was not their show! This episode revolved around them! Pathetic!

I tried watching the show (ST:Enterprise) several times and even got into it a little when those Space Marines joined the crew. But every time I got into it, the show got bland again.

The final episode was a chance to mend fences and make things right before warping into cancellation, to make the characters really shine before departing the airwaves.

But no, oh no. They (writers and producers) appeared to do the "desparate act" and include past Trek characters to try to attract the old fans. They might have attracted the old fans, but the final product they got was substandard!
50 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Braga had promised "Valentine to the fans" – if you throw stones at girlfriend or wife on Valentines Day, he wasn't lying
t_atzmueller21 March 2013
It had been a rather rough and bumpy ride over the last four seasons, and by the final episode, there was the distinct certainty, that there would be no more. However, other than in the previous series, there was an air of relief. There had been too little character-development and way too few elements that would have kept the fan rooting for a continuation. Sure, the show had its moments, but those generally came from guest-appearances like Brent Spiner, Paul Weller and especially Jeffrey Combs; and that's no feat of glory when a shows appeal lies in waiting for satisfying guest-stars.

But, knowing that the end was nigh, one did hope for a final firework; something to conjure up the magic that made shows like "The Next Generation" or "DS9" classics of (Science Fiction)-TV. After four seasons, it had become relatively clear that the scriptwriters were true hacks; hence I was ready to bet my head that there would be a guest-appearance from somebody from the prior series. But who would it be? Sure, it would have been far-fetched to expect Patrick Steward or Leonard Nimoy to appear and shake Captain Archers Hand (and as said: Spiner had already made his appearance), but perhaps Geordie LaForge? After all, LeVar Burton had directed a couple of episodes. Maybe Worf, Odo or Captain Sisko from "DS9"? "All too good for the likes of our audience", the producer (presumably) mumbled to himself and cast the needy-looking host from "X-Factor" as special-guest. Hey, none of us is getting younger or handsomer (with the exception of Sophia Loren perhaps, but that's another story) and far be it from me to deny Jonathan Frakes a handful of dollars; mans got to eat and pay the rent. But the final episode of a "Star Trek"-series should aspire to grandness, not inspire pity and next to Will Shatner himself, Frakes is the definition of washed-out has-been.

Now, apart from the pointless, detracting "guest-appearance", what else did the screenwriters have in store for this celebration? The subplot of Shrans kidnapped daughter might have made a mediocre-to-alright episode, but for the final episode it simply raised the stink of lackluster, lazy screen writing which had plagued roughly 70 percent of the show.

But perhaps I'm being too pessimistic; perhaps my expectation are too high and I should tell myself that it could have been much worst: they could have shown Picard and Riker playing a computer-game in the intro, blowing up the Enterprise, telling us that it was all a game in the holodeck all along, followed by a montage of Kirk fighting the Gorm, digitally stretched to 40 minutes.

Ach, who am I kidding? Should have gone out with a big bang – went out with the noise of flatulence.
terrible ending!
henriklarsen2612 April 2012
the worst episode of the whole show! so the enterprise are just a Holden program on the next generation? this is too much and why i doubt they Will ever make a new star trek TV series too bad for the series the ruined it whit this ending liked in a mirror darkly!ding! i liked in a mirror darkly!i liked in i liked in a mirror darkly!a mirror darkly!i liked in a mirror liked in a mirror darkly! darkly! i liked in a Miro liked in a mirror darkly!roar darkly! i liked in a mirror darkly! i liked in a mirror darkly! i liked in a mirror darkly! i liked in a mirror darkly! i liked in a mirror darkly! i liked in a mirror darkly!
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Assumes everybody has watched 'The Next Generation'
Tweekums25 September 2010
Sadly 'Enterprise' was doomed to be cancelled after a mere four seasons and although this episode was clearly designed to be the finale it feels more like a regular story that was slightly modified to make it the finale. Set several years after the previous episode the Enterprise is on its way back to Earth for the last time before being decommissioned. On the way they receive a call from Shren who was missing presumed dead; he wants Capt. Archers help as he has fallen in with some dubious characters and they have kidnapped his daughter and are demanding he return a huge jewel they believe he stole. As he did not steal it and they don't believe him he will have to take her back by force. The mission to rescue his daughter goes to plan but her erstwhile kidnappers are determined to get Shren and board Enterprise. Trip has an idea to neutralise them but in doing so he puts himself in grave danger. If this was the whole story it would be fine but it isn't told like a regular episode of 'Enterprise'; instead it is a holodeck program being played by Commander Riker aboard Picard's Enterprise. He is having a dilemma about breaking a promise regarding a treaty violation by the Federation and Councillor Troi has suggested he look at how things were done in the past.

I liked the main story concerning Shren's daughter but couldn't see why it had to be told as a holodeck record watched by Will Riker. He even took the role of the ship's chef as we all know the crew of Archer's Enterprise liked to confide in the chef… at least we would if he had been mentioned before! Having the last episode of 'Enterprise' linked to the crew of 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' like this just cheapened it and made it seem as if the characters we'd grown to care about over the last four seasons didn't matter. It's not that I don't like the characters of Riker and Troi; I just don't think they belong in this series after all it is quite likely that some people watching this will never have seen 'The Next Generation'. That wasn't the only problem, they also decided to kill off a main character, an odd choice for a final episode but even odder was telling us this person was going to die before it happened so there was no sense of shock when it did happen. Overall it was quite a disappointment; the series deserved a better send off.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Woeful ending to a troubled series
dps-jennings26 October 2008
This whole episode is detestable (apart from being upset trip dies) it totally destroys / detracts from the fact that this was a time totally unconnected with the TNG group yet here we go we have to have those characters sticking their two pennies in where it ain't wanted. Instead of a 'holodec reliving the last days' how about actually creating a gripping episode finale, rather than this 'lets establish the facts of the NX demise.' Each holedec interruption grew more and more tiresome. It just echoed the troubles the series was having behind the scenes. It's a real shame as I enjoyed the vast majority of the episodes / series thus far and to have it ruined by this was disappointing to say the least. Furthermore they really did make sure that this programme was killed off good and proper with this episode as now we know the end of the NX class story there would be no point creating more series now would there, not that it matters as it probably wouldn't have happened anyway these people have a great knack for destroying beloved programmes, anybody remember what happened to firefly.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Episode, Bad Series Finale, very bad writer.
XweAponX7 July 2012
Braga HAS written some fine scripts, in general I like his ideas, but not here.

I'm not really giving the actual episode "5" stars-It was a fine, well produced episode. I'm giving Brannon Braga a -5, so it evens out to a "5." This guy was handed the reigns of ST:TNG and he drove in into the ground, ruining all of the progress made by better writers.

It has been said that Brannon Braga blew up the Enterprise D, "Because it didn't look very good in 16:9 aspect ratio"-Looks fine here though. Actually it looks Freakin' FANTASTIC, even for a Digital "Model."

And that's the problem: ALL of the Next Generation scenes looked great, as good or better than TNG. But the problem is, this was NOT "Star Trek: The Next Generation"

Our two Next Gen crewmen, Troi and Riker, well for one thing they do NOT look like they did when "The Pegasus" was filmed, back in 1994? Marina could have pulled it off, if they had stayed away from all facial close-ups: In long shots, she actually looked pretty similar to her 1994 Doppelganger. But Riker, this is not the same Frakes that used to be called "Ensign Babyface"- Had they done something like this around the time "Insurrection" was being made, he could have pulled it off, but in 2005, it was impossible.

If this had been a stand alone Episode, earlier in the season, it would have been good and true Homage to ST:TNG, a nice salute. But here, at the end of Enterprise, it is a kick in Enterprise Crew's face.

The framed "Enterprise" story was not really a good enough story to be the "Last Mission" and Tripp, having survived The Xindi and The Suliban, would not have let those Alien Gangbangers get the drop on him and Archer, so I don't believe that either. And I also did not believe there was a character called "Cook" that was a kind of 'Ship's Counsellor" for 10 years? It's not that I didn't like the idea, and the way this was written, it was actually a Holodeck fantasy of Riker's, so he could interact with the crew of NX-01.

What really bugs me is that Braga forgets canon, including the parts he wrote himself: When we watch "The Pegasus," what was Will Riker doing right before? He WAS NOT on the Holodeck indulging himself: He was doing Calisthenics with WORF, and he Injured Himself. So I want to know, WHEN did this happen. Also, he never did tell Picard or Troi about the Pegasus or Admiral Pressman's agenda: He said nothing to anyone until he blew his stack after the Romulan Ship had disrupted them into the asteroid! But Ron D Moore wrote that episode, and this is an insult to him as well.

So it was not only Enterprise "canon" that Braga ignored and wrecked, it was Next Generation canon as well.

As far as the "Enterprise" Holodeck fantasy which was being played out, I guess it had "something to do with the day the United Federation of Planets" actually became a viable entity. Of course, which is what this episode should have been about. But THAT story was not told. Or rather, it was told, in several of the arcs from seasons 1 through 4. But it was not told HERE-It was not wrapped up here. The only reference to it was the final scene.

So, thanks a lot, Braggo: For wrecking not only Enterprise, but also The Original Series, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and even Voyager as well.

EDIT: After Binge-Watching season 3, which I had never seen, I can safely assume, we can ignore this dud "finale": they could have saved Trip by making a new Sim and then fixing his life-span, like Sim suggested in "Similitude". Screw Braga.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of many missed opportunities
Don Gettys15 September 2013
In what would have been a fine premise for a standard episode, Riker's uncertainties in the Holodeck simply blemished the Enterprise farewell. The death of Tripp left me feeling as violated as a drive-by shooting witness. Senseless and gratuitous, it still baffles me that this seemed like a good idea to anybody. The episode, arguably the worst of the four year run, probably contributes to the trepidation of Paramount in allowing a new TV series to this day. All of that being said, I don't HATE it. It is Star Trek, and it features people that I've enjoyed for years. Hopefully, any new adaptation in the Star Trek universe will put this episode into perspective as a teachable moment and the producers will remember rule number one. The fans are the only reason that Star Trek exists. Abusing their loyalty will have repercussions.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What were they thinking?
Dale Sexton27 August 2014
The bad:

I've never felt this way watching a TV show before. I got real upset, I actually left the room when it was over in anger. This was different than when our heroes didn't get home right after blowing up the weapon. This hurt.

#1. Troi and Riker are in Engineering and we hear Troi say: It's sad. Commander Tucker had no idea he wouldn't make it back. . Now WTF! If you are writing the last Star Trek episode EVER, and have planned out the death of a major cast member (one of the "big three" to boot), why on earth would you give it away to the fans there? I'll tell you why... a slap in the face, TNG's "better", that's why... It's hard to explain how mad I got when she said that.

#2. 6 years into the future and everyone is the same rank? WTF??

#3. The fact that Trip and T'Pol don't end up together. I was hoping when we were 6 years in the future that they had become married. It would have been nice to have the right closure to their relationship. All we get is T'POL: However long it may be, I believe I'm going to miss you.

#4. T'Pol's make up and hair. She just looked unhealthy and overdone. They had her looks right in season three. I'm not fond of her final "development". She had this issue for me during most of season four, but it's much worse in TATV.

#5. Trip's death. I'm mean really. We've fast forwarded 6 year's in the future and the crew that saved earth from the Xindi attack and survived countless other death defying situations can't detect and stop a couple bad guys from boarding? Where was everyone else? Conner's acting was very good once again, but for what? There they go putting Archer up on a pedestal again.

#6. Archer's speech to the Alliance. The entire series Daniel and company have gone out of their way to keep Archer alive, because HE is the ONLY ONE that can give birth to the Federation; his presence and speech are the bedrock to everything and what... we don't get to hear the speech? Big fat make up caked give the plot away Deanna (an alien) has to memorize this historic speech in grammar school and we don't get to hear it. My blood is boiling here. What we should have seen is our heroes and Trip's parents sitting right up front when Archer gives his speech. A part of that scene, we should have seen T'Pol sitting next to Trip's mom and when Archer mentions the hardship/loss/dedication ... "how worthwhile it's all been." etc, Trip's mother could have taken T'Pol's hand... come on Berman...

#7. And of course, having the TNG characters close out "our" series. " Computer, end Program" was like a knife in the back.

The good:

#1. The whole holodeck idea wasn't a bad one. When Riker said "Computer, freeze programme" I actually liked it, along with Riker taking the place of chef and interacting with our crew. The whole premise doesn't fit with the Pegasus (TNG) episode though.

#2. I was glad they decided to include Shran in the final episode. I wasn't fond of Shran, a star ship captain in the Imperial Guard, being relegated to a runaway. I liked his daughter. I liked the way they told the story with the "objective mode" and Riker along for the ride.

#3. I enjoyed Riker's conversation with all our crew in the kitchen. Every one of them was nice.

#4. While Trips death was stupid, it gave us one of Enterprise's best scenes (in Trip's quarters) and probably Archer's best line. T'POL: Trip told me as the years went by that I would miss her less. But he was wrong, because I find myself missing her more. Why would he tell me that? ARCHER: Time heals all wounds, but absence makes the heart grow fonder. I guess it's a little tricky. Emotions have a way of contradicting themselves. T'POL: And you wonder why we suppress them.

#5. While I don't believe T'Pol should have been where she was, when Archer stopped, came back down the stairs and gave T'Pol a hug I got all choked up. Full swing of emotions in this one.

#6. The ending montage. Listening all three captains of the Star Ship Enterprise say their piece was very nice and touching. Very, very nice. All in all a very selfish episode WRT Berman. It was obvious to me that this "Valentine to the Fans" was not written for the Enterprise fans, but to satisfy Berman's ego with regard to TNG. I felt left out of the end of Star Trek. I don't understand how Berman could give us so much great Trek throughout the years and then just cast off a group of fans. I guess that's what hurts so much about TATV. So Terra Prime and Archer's speech to the council is the finale for me.

2 of 10 because, well just because.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Terrible, horrible, finale.
Thomas Stanton25 June 2014
These days I like to pretend to myself that the episode "Terra Prime" was the real finale of the series and that this was sort of a 'never released' add-on to the DVD collection. Unfortunately that is not the case and this really is how Enterprise ended.

So how does Enterprise go out? With a whimper.

How does it end? They're all holo-deck characters being observed by Riker and Troi, with a very weak story about Shran and his daughter being kidnapped, thugs get on Enterprise (with ease I might add), trip kills himself killing them. No one seems to mourn Trip much and then Archer goes to make a speech (which you never hear). Riker kills program and boom that's it.

It's also obvious that the actors know how bad the story is... because the acting, blows. Hard.

One of the worst finales I have ever seen in my life and it's a shame too because the 3rd and 4th seasons Enterprise were getting really good. They should have tried to wrap up the loose ends in a two-parter and spare us this piece of garbage.

It was bad, really... really bad.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this