"Star Trek: Enterprise" These Are the Voyages... (2005)"Enterprise" These Are the Voyages... (original title)

« Prev | 98 of 98 Episodes

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

What An Insult...

Author: carpentersfan2003 from Canada
20 June 2008

All I can say about this finale is that it was complete and utter trash. Bringing in Troi and Riker was a mistake of monumental proportions. Not to mention having two "ledgends" on the show stole the thunder from the cast of the Enterprise.

I have heard that Jolene ( T'Pol ) has stated that the final episode of Enterprise is "total crap" and that she was embarrassed to be a part of it, this is an opinion that is shared by both Scott Bakula and Connor Trinneer.

Personally I think Braga's comment about this episode as being a " Valentine to the fans" is total B.S. and he can shove his Valentine where the sun don't shine.

In a word... SHAMEFUL!!!!

The Final Insult: Berman and Braga insult fans everywhere with horrific finale episode: Where was the CAST?

Author: Ricimer from United States
3 February 2006

This episode was so incredibly bad, and simply insulting, to the viewers, that I seriously had to ask "Have B&B (Berman and Braga) really become so bad at this that they thought we'd like this episode?...or were they trying to insult us *on purpose*?".

I mean, just like 20 years later people still remember the ridiculous "Dallas" season-erasing dream/shower episode, 20 years from now people will remember this as one of the infamous worst endings of any TV series.

Basically, this is *NOT* the Enterprise finale. B&B framed the whole episode as a "holodeck program" being viewed by Riker and Troi during Next Generation's 7th season.

***The regular cast of "Enterprise" gets no time in this episode. Archer, T'Pol, and Tucker are the only ones that have any meaningful dialog. The problem was that Mayweather, Hoshi, Reed, and Phlox don't get anything to do here. The cast of Enterprise is not really present for their own series finale.

***The biggest complaint is they kill off Commander Trip Tucker. This is officially the **silliest character death in the history of Star Trek and possibly of all scifi TV** Riker is (supposedly) watching this holoprogram to get insight into his own dilemma about following orders (which he knew were morally wrong) in the Next Gen 7th season episode "Pegasus", by watching a "famous historical example of someone breaking orders for the greater good".

Enterprise is boarded by random alien pirates, who hold Archer and Tucker at gunpoint. Now, let me remind you; Archer being kidnapped by bad aliens was such an overused plot line in seasons 1 and 2 that fans *begged* the show to stop doing that The point is that these guys have been held at gunpoint all the time; what they do is wait for their other crewmembers (remember them?) to rescue them.

What happens is that Archer is willing to stay at gunpoint, but Tucker says he wants to try something, as Archer is getting punched. Archer shouts that he "orders" Trip not to try anything, but Trip "breaks orders" by doing it anyway: he tells the alien pirates that he will put them in communication with the bridge, leads them over to a maintenance panel, then intentionally misconnects two power cables in his hands, to cause a massive explosion that kills himself and the pirates, thus saving Archer. That's it.

My questions are; 1) Why would Tucker suddenly do something (like causing an EXPLOSION) which he knew would definitely kill himself, when he's been in random hostage situations MANY TIMES during the course of the series? 2) **HOW WAS THIS IN ANY WAY AN "ORDER"???*** Riker's "breaking of orders" dilemma was that he had been ordered by a corrupt admiral not to tell anyone that the Federation was conducting secret weapons experiments in direct violation of international treaties, but he felt this was wrong and wanted to tell Picard. This was longstanding issue, which he struggled with for several days. This whole situation is NOT COMPARABLE to that! *****In interviews, Connor Trinner, who plays Tucker, basically stated that A) Berman and Braga knew that Tucker was the most popular character on the show and B) essentially realized that there was nothing emotionally involving in the incredibly bad script they had written, so they sank to the lowest common denominator by just killing off a beloved character to get people to "like" the "tear-jerker" ending. But it's such a forced, obviously scripted death that it was just silly. Many fans hope that a later series will simply explain this away as a hologram error, and that Tucker never died.

On top of this, the entire episode is centered around Archer having to give a speech at the signing of the Federation charter: struggling with what to write, etc. The final scene is of him walking out the door into a forum to give the speech, then ***Riker says "computer, end program" and the whole thing turns off. We never hear the speech, after all of that hype. Not. One. Word. Maybe they were trying to give the idea that it was such a good speech that we could never hear the whole thing, that it was so legendary and good that we should just let our imaginations run wild with how good it was. I can understand not giving the WHOLE thing, but not a single line?! Not a single quote?! For the amount of hype they gave to it (according to them, Tucker killed himself so Archer could deliver this speech on time!) we should have heard something.

*****The final shot is of Archer, Kirk, and Picard doing a narration of the "These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise" monologue, intercutting with each other as we see the three Enterprises fly by. A lot of casual fans said "oh, this was a good episode, I liked that montage at the end"....well, it could have been inserted into any given episode, and honestly, did it SERVE THE PLOT IN ANY WAY? Character development, etc? IT WAS A CHEAP TRICK.

On top of this, Berman and Braga didn't even THINK of that; they stated that they literally wanted to have Riker say "Computer, end program", have him walk out of the holodeck, then fade to black. Credits role. That's it. The end of Star Trek. How these monsters keep getting work, I will never know.

That's it. I'm watching Ron D. Moore's Battlestar Galactica now. It's the best scifi show since DS9 went off the air (which, conspicuously, was also the last Star Trek which Moore worked on...). RDM set out with BSG to fix everything about scifi TV that B&B got wrong with the last 7 years of Star Trek; and he did it! Characterization, dark tone, smarter dialog, no Seven of Nines! Ron D. Moore and Battlestar Galactica have inherited the mantle of Scifi television.

By your command!

Pathetic Finale

Author: Goldberg_176_2000 from United States
13 November 2006

What an insult. While Enterprise was not as good or popular as TNG the decision to base the last episode of Enterprise around two stars from another show was a blatant insult to the cast of Enterprise who were not at fault for their show not being as good writing wise as the others. I was insulted and appalled and time has not diluted that feeling. It was decisions like this that lead to Enterprise being less popular than the others. I strongly recommend you run away from this episode full speed ahead. As a whole Enterprise the series has some good episodes mixed in. Best bet pretend Terra Prime is the series finale and pretend this one doesn't exist.

Did not Deserve to End; Nevertheless, Deserved a Better Ending

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
7 May 2010

Enterprise is one of the best series of television ever, with excellent shows and great chemistry of the characters. Along the four seasons, I tried to prolong the maximum I could to enjoy T'Pol, Archer, Dr. Phlox, Trip, Reed, Hoshi and Travis and their friends and enemies. "Enterprise" did not deserve to end so soon; nevertheless, "Enterprise" deserved a better ending. I do not know what has happened with the producers and writers of this cult-series. This lame last show is a ridiculous crap entwining the story with "Next Generation" and killing Trip is a silly plot. As mentioned in other reviews, this episode is an insult to a fantastic series. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Estas São as Viagens…" ("These Are the Voyages…")

Berman & Braga say "Screw you, Trekkies!"

Author: NavyOrion from United States
12 February 2010

Easily the most unsatisfying end-of-series episode I have ever seen, "These Are the Voyages" was nonetheless an appropriate send-off for "Enterprise" in that it was, like much of the series, full of unrealized potential.

There was no reason to wrap the whole story, set some six years after the fourth season's events, in a ridiculous "Next Generation" plot based on a minor seventh-season TNG story, "The Pegasus." It was distracting to see Frakes and Sirtis trying to look relevant (and struggling not to look old and fat) in their younger characters, after we had seen so much greater growth over the course of several feature films. The idea of play-acting on the holodeck for several days (don't you have some actual WORK to do, Commander?) as an effective way to reach a decision was embarrassing. I wanted to shake him: "Man up, Riker!"

What was the most annoying aspect of the movie "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" (aside from the aging crew shoe-horned into their uniforms and an insipid plot)? The idea that "Oh, did I forget to mention all these years that I have a brother?" And yet that kind of "conveniently forgotten" fact is exactly what they did here. Suddenly, the ship's cook (yes the COOK) is a major player, everybody's buddy, and privy to more information than a bridge officer. For the whole series, they've treated this guy like a combination of "Tim the Toolman Taylor's" over-the-fence neighbor that you never actually see, and DS9's Morn, whom you never hear. So from whence comes this idea that "Chef" (he doesn't even get a name?) was the confidant of every person on board? Seems like something that might have been mentioned at SOME point in the last four years. The series finale is a bit late to stuff in a point like that, guys.

Bad as the idea was of having these guest stars cluttering up the story, other facets of the episode seemed less oversight or poor judgment than deliberate slaps in the face. One of the most poignant points of any show is the death of a major character; in the Star Trek universe, this is exemplified by the deaths of Spock, Kirk, and Data in the feature films, each of which was an emotional climax of their respective movie. Yet Troi is given a line that completely ruins this, telling the viewers a good 20 minutes ahead of time that Tripp Tucker is going to die.

Annoying as the questions around Tucker's death are (blowing up a compartment was his BEST idea? Had Shran really left or not? Where the hell were the MACOs?) it was the death scene itself that was worst. Why? Because there WASN'T a death scene! Gravely injured, Tucker is rushed into a chamber in sickbay. We break for commercial to watch several minutes of ads for toilet paper and Big Macs, and then come back to find Archer and T'Pol in Tripps quarters. It's only after a minute or so of dialog that it is confirmed for the viewer that he has died! If I were Conner Trinneer, I would fire the agent that let me get cheated like that. The only ones cheated more were the fans.

Finally, the last scene of the last episode of the last Star Trek TV series arrives. It's Archer's speech, the speech that he has been thinking about the whole episode, the speech that marks the foundation of the Federation, the speech that frikkin' Troi had to memorize in grade school, for pete's sake! This should be good, stirring stuff, full of Horatio Hornblower and starry eyes, a cherry on top of a lackluster series, one last chance for the writers to redeem themselves for four years of hackery that almost ended the 40-year run of Star Trek. And what does Riker say? "Computer, end program." Fade out, steal Shatner's monologue, roll credits.

If Berman and Braga hadn't screwed up so much in this series, after doing much the same with BOTH "Star Trek: Insurrection" and "Star Trek: Nemesis" the franchise might well have been kept out of the disrespectful hands of J.J. Abrams and his 2010 "re-imagining" of the Star Trek saga. Let us hope that B&B will never again be allowed near it.

Horrific, depressing, half-baked, disgraceful, insulting, disrespectful

Author: apostle_13 from Canada
7 June 2012

Hey Rick Berman, you just sent off Enterprise into a smouldering pile of dung. The second last episode "Terra Prime" is how my heart will remember Enterprise ending, dignified and heartwarming.

Why would you crush the hearts of loyal fans with such drivel? The entire dialogue, premise and plot were incredibly amateurish as if it was written at lunch break by the company accountant.

After "Terra Prime"'s sad yet beautiful ending it really tied a lot of loose bits for fans. Nothing more was needed.

Please never touch anything Trek related again before you completely destroy the franchise.

Pathetic.

Stinks of Berman and Braga

Author: Andariel Halo (phenomynouss@hotmail.com) from Here
16 October 2010

After two years of noble efforts to save "Enterprise" by its writers, the murderers of this franchise, Rick Berman and Brannon Braga, return to write the series finale to a show that was on its way to following the path of The Next Generation---an abysmal start with its first two seasons, and a sudden sharp rise in quality starting with the third season.

Instead, Enterprise was essentially dead by season 2, and the damage was irreversible, even as the quality of episodes reached even levels of certain TNG episodes in terms of impact and quality.

Even without the obvious point if this technically being a story stolen by TNG Riker and Troi, the script stinks, STINKS, of the same tired, stupid tropes Berman and Braga littered the first two seasons with, with stupid meta-references dropped like "Here's to the Next Generation" and "All good things...", or one-dimensional characterizations like "I'm a Vulcan; I don't miss people" which goes COMPLETELY AGAINST what'd been occurring for the past year's worth of episodes, or droning, repetitive statements of "I never thought Vulcans and Andorians would work together!" again despite EVERYTHING that'd been occurring for the PAST YEAR'S worth of episodes, and PAINFULLY unsubtle remarks by characters.

Like a typical Berman and Braga script, along with the stupid dialogue and shallow comments and characterization, there are tons of unfunny jokes, a story featuring random ALIENS OF THE WEEK that are so blatantly evil and one-dimensional, it feels almost insulting that even Commander Tucker, a guy who would normally rank among the lowest of notable Star Trek characters if not for his relationship with T'Pol making him a real character, dies while killing a bunch of these arbitrary idiots.

It's a death rather like Tasha Yar's; killed by some random alien that will never have any effect in Trek history ever again, for pretty much no reason.

There literally is no story. Enterprise is on its way for Archer to sign the treaty that creates the Federation when Shrann appears, apparently having faked his own death for whatever reason, and forces Archer to help him rescue his daughter from pirates or whatever. They save her, and the pirates find Enterprise and board it, only for Tucker to suicide bomb them. The rest involves Riker and Troi with the Pegasus thing, and a decision Riker has to make which, for the life of me, I absolutely cannot remember or even care about.

Riker...

I wish I were exaggerating when I say that Riker's (or Troi's) presence is like a hammer smash to the face, completely DESTROYING all the immersion and drama of a scene, reminding you that "HEY, this is all a holographic illusion with a surprisingly old and fat Riker standing around looking horribly out of place watching it all". He's always just THERE, for no good reason other than to diminish Enterprise for the sake of what couldn't even be considered a SUBPLOT for a TNG episode.

TNG's finale was hardly "final", as they knew they were going to make movies to continue the franchise. Deep Space Nine ended with a bang of a war's conclusion. Even Voyager had a big finale involving technobabbling Voyager home.

Aside from the end of the holographic story where Enterprise is nonsensically mothballed and the Federation is established, the events in this story can hardly be considered more than filler, made all the more irritating for its pointlessness.

The only good part of the episode was the very end, where the famous "Where No Man/One Has Gone Before" recitation is done, by all three Enterprise captains, starting with Picard, Kirk, and Archer.

Thanks for killing Enterprise, Berman and Braga, and thanks for giving Enterprise a send-off that not only completely squanders everything that was great about the improved Enterprise present JUST IN THE PREVIOUS EPISODE ALONE and squatting out a story not fit even for the Original Series's finale.

Sad ending to a show that deserved better ...

Author: paoguy from United States
7 August 2006

Truly this is the worst series-ending episode that I can ever recall. "Forever Knight's" finale broke my heart, but at least it had some substance. This episode was simply terrible. Perhaps the producers wanted to ensure that they would kill this series once and for all with this episode. Well, they surely did. This show was a disappointment, but did have its moments. Its crew deserved a better send off. I would have preferred for them to be lost forever or assimilated by the Borg instead of being treated like this. It's very sad indeed. I would hope this means that if any other attempts to make a Star Trek series are made that it will have new producers and writers. This effort was truly terrible.

insulting

Author: anubis0913 from United States
24 October 2006

This episode was an insult to the very spirit of Star Trek, not to mention the cast of Star Trek: Enterprise itself. I don't know what Berman and Braga were thinking when they wrote this episode. I don't know whether they thought it would actually read as a proper send-off to the series. I am not them. What I do know is that the entire episode reeked of a hastily constructed "screw you!" to the fans. Over the course of the hour most of the plot development established over the series is completely torn apart and replaced with an insane "watch Johnathan Frakes try REALLY HARD to look 20 years younger!" variety show where the cast of Enterprise comes in one by one to talk to him about their problems.

And did I mention that the story was completely insipid? No? Well, it was. It might have made a cute episode of the series, but the fact that it was the series finale and, by extension, somewhat of a "farewell" to the entire franchise, made it nothing short of horrifying. And I won't get into the end of the episode, but it was the visual equivalent of Rick Berman himself coming into your house and punching you in the nose and then saying "THANKS FOR WATCHIN'!" Those of you that have seen it know what I mean.

My advice? Watch season one of enterprise, then skip over season two. Then watch seasons three and four up to "Terra Prime." That was a proper send-off to the series, not this piece of crap.

WHAT a cop out.......

Author: gritfrombray-1 from Ireland
23 April 2007

This show had so much potential. Establishment of The Prime Directive, the Klingon war, and the founding of The United Federation Of Planets. As Season 4 was nearing the end the episodes were pretty good, in fact I never really had a problem with this show as it was character driven with a good cast. Going through the other series finales, TOS's Turnabout Intruder, not great but back in the '60s with little or no money it was, as much as can be expected. TNG's All Good Things, mindblowing. The ultimate send off for that show. Not matched since. DS9's what You Leave Behind, brilliant stuff, although left wide open for a sequel that never happened... Voyager, 7 seasons, about ten good episodes. No more to be said. Cop out finale too. But this finale, These Are The Voyages is the stinker of all stinker finales. WHAT were the writers thinking when a TNG story was suggested?? The whole thing was terrible. Not ONE redeeming quality. It ended all a little inconclusively and made Trek look real bad. Watch this at your own peril....

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]