"Star Trek: Enterprise" In a Mirror, Darkly: Part 2 (2005)"Enterprise" In a Mirror, Darkly: Part 2 (original title)

« Prev | 95 of 98 Episodes | Next »

Spectacular

Author: Slip Führer from United States
29 August 2008

I am up at an hour which I should be spending sleeping, as I have work in the morning. But I can't take my eyes off of this splendid twist on Enterprise. I love this series, though I have to say, this alternate universe two part episode is fantastic. Seeing Jonathan Archer as a power hungry, and equally driven character is something I was skeptical about, upon first reading the "info" on the episode before watching, but it plays beautifully. Likewise, the twist on the other characters, Most notably, Dr. Flocks, and Tucker, are played well. The ability to play both sides of the fence goes to show that these three actors do their job well. Travis, T'pol and Reid Aren't as memorable in their twisted states, though I am not so sure why. T'pol doesn't seem to have changed much other than her outfit, and displays a bit more emotion than one would expect from a Vulcan, Reid just seems to be a sinister little twerp that we don't care about, and Travis is basically the same...Following orders with nothing really too interesting going on about him to grab our attention. it was very nice to see the crew step aboard the Defiant and to see the insides of that old Star Trek style ship come to life again.

**SPOLIER BELOW**

The ending was somewhat enexpected, as usually in Enterprise the good triumph over the bad, Archers demise was unexpected to me as well, and as for Hoshi...She makes a damn sexy Empress.

All in all I give these two episodes a ten out of ten. Grats.

Archer is too ambitious!

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
3 September 2010

As the second half of this two part story starts Enterprise has been destroyed and the Archer, T'Pol, Malcolm, Travis and Trip are aboard the USS Defiant, a ship from a hundred years in the future. After picking up the survivors from Enterprise they set about repairing the ship; this is made much more difficult when it becomes apparent that they don't have the ship to themselves, a creature known as the Gorn has killed one of the engineering crew and taken vital components. Once that problem has been solved the Defiant can join the battle against the Vulcan and Andorian rebels. Archer expects to be given official command of the Defiant but is just told that he will get his own command 'when a ship becomes available. Believing the admiral intends to steal the glory he kills him. He soon has even greater ambitions and sets course for Earth with plans to but himself on the throne. As he has had all non-humans apart from Dr. Phlox transferred off the Defiant T'Pol tries to persuade the doctor to destroy the ship, as she believes Archer's conquests won't stop with Earth. It is just a pity for Archer that he was so paranoid about his alien crewmembers that he wasn't so careful about the human ones.

Like the first part of the story this was a lot of fun; while not strictly necessary for the story it was nice to see the crew don the uniforms of the original Star Trek. There was plenty of great action including a fight between Archer and the Gorn that was reminiscent of a similar fight involving Captain Kirk and an impressive if short space battle. Hoshi in this universe is far more forward, it was great seeing Linda Park play sexy rather than quiet; and it was the highlight of the episode seeing her kill Archer and declare herself Empress at the end.

best episodes of the series

Author: jedivideomike from United States
2 April 2014

please ignore the ignorant and stupid review that precedes this- i can tell you as a lifetime star trek fan- this is the BEST- the recreation of the Defiant is amazing, and all the actors portrayals of their mirror counterparts are dead on perfect. Any REAL trekker will love this- TRUST ME!!! I can only wish that Enterprise had not been cancelled, as this story line was ripe for continuation- Empress Hoshi has a nice ring to it, and seeing the next step in her takeover of the Terran Empire was an episode all unto itself. once again i say the previous review is pathetic, written by someone in love with being controversial for no reason other that to attract attention to them instead of the show- WATCH In a Mirror Darkly for yourself- don't let this dweeb steer you away from one of the finest moments of the series!!!

Power Plays & A Mirror Universe

Author: Matthew Kresal from United States
3 November 2016

In its final season on air, the Star Trek prequel series Enterprise finally found its feet. Under a new show runner, the series finally became the prequel series it was originally pitched as being. It explored and tied-in with many aspects of Trek's lore. One of the most exciting moments of that came as the show was beginning to wind down prematurely. In A Mirror, Darkly brought Enterprise into the Mirror Universe made famous by the Original Series episode Mirror, Mirror and explored throughout Deep Space Nine's run. Picking up from the explosive cliffhanger of part one, the second episode was to take viewers even further into the Mirror Universe's origins.

While the first part was set largely on the Mirror Universe version of the NX-01, part two took crew and viewer alike onto a new ship: The Definat, brought over to this universe following the events of the Original Series episode The Tholian Web. The result is that virtually the entirety of the episode is set on a Original Series starship and that we get to see Enterprise's regulars on its decks, its bridge especially. Some of them even up in the familiar uniforms as well, allowing an interesting contrast both in costumes and design from what we're used to. Even more surprising is how great they look, that the designs and costumes hold up well even with a very different crew occupying and wearing them. Add on a fight between Archer and an Original Series alien foe, and it's something that makes this particular episode stand out even more.

Like with previous Mirror Universe episodes in Trek, the fun of these episodes is watching the cast members play different versions of familiar characters. One of the biggest surprises come out of Scott Bakula's Archer. Seeing him go from our usual goodhearted starship captain to the somewhat ruthless, passed over one time too many first officer was already a surprise but this episode sees the script and Bakula take this Archer even farther. Confronted by knowledge of his counterpart in a different universe and given a chance not just for command of a ship but potentially the Terran Empire itself, the Mirror Archer becomes an at times reckless gambler who risks not just his life but those of his crew and indeed his new ship to go as far as he can. It's a compelling performance and one that might well be Bakula's finest from the entire run of the series.

Then there's Park as Hoshi. Already recast into the Captain's Woman role that we saw Barbara Luna's Marlena play back in Mirror, Mirror but with an updated 21st century edge, Park gets some of the best moments in this episode to herself. This is a Hoshi who isn't the quiet, almost ineffectual communications officer often seen in the series but a conniving, manipulative femme fatale who it turns out isn't afraid to get her hands dirty if need be. Given the writing of Hoshi throughout much of the series, Park getting the chance to sink her teeth into some meatier material is an even bigger revelation than Bakula's Mirror Archer.

They aren't alone though. All of the Enterprise regulars get some interesting moments in this episode though some get more than others. Jolene Blalock's T'Pol is a big highlight of this episode as, in keeping with the way the Mirror Spock was portrayed, we're given a more conniving Vulcan than we're used to which leads to some wonderful confrontations between T'Pol and Archer, and indeed between T'Pol and Hoshi as well. Plus, as with Vaughan Armstron's Forest in the first episode, we get to see a reoccurring character in a different role with Gary Graham's Vulcan Soval who goes from an ambassador in the normal universe to a science officer on one of the Empire's ships but whom gets some a couple of interesting scenes as well with T'Pol. Sadly, like in the previous episode, Anthony Montgomery and Conner Trinneer end up being shuffled to the back proverbially speaking, they get some screen-time that shows just enough of their Mirror counterparts to wet appetites.

The writing and direction are also among Enterprise's finest. Both Mike Sussman (who wrote the previous episode as well) and director Marvin V. Rush picks up on the energy from the cliffhanger and run with it, quickly picking up the threads and taking them farther than what might have been possible in just forty-five minutes. The second episode takes the hints and references from the first and expands them into a tale of power plays on personal and cosmic scales, building up to an immensely satisfying conclusion that manages to take the viewer by surprise (or at least it did me on my first viewing). Combined with a first rate action score by Dennis McCarthy and Kevin Kiner and some of the show's better CGI set piece battles, the result is one of Enterprise's finest productions.

The end result is one of Enterprise's best episodes. Going straight off the previous episode, it manages to contrast in somewhat with an incredible recreation of an Original Series era starship as well as its costumes. Beyond the production, it also tells an interesting story with plenty of suspense and action. The ending leaves the viewer begging for more and it's just a shame that the proposed follow-up never happened due to the show's cancellation. It also shows what the series could accomplish at its best as both a Trek prequel and as a series in its own right.

I really liked this one!!!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
1 June 2015

This is the second part of a wonderful two-parter. While I loved the original "Mirror, Mirror" episode from the old "Star Trek", this evil parallel universe was way, way overused in some of the subsequent Trek spin-offs. At first I liked it when the crew of Deep Space 9 was visited by these evil parallel doubles but after so many follow-ups, it became way overused. What I loved about "Mirror, Mirror" was its originality. Fortunately, in "Star Trek: Enterprise", they managed to use the old concept but infuse it with wonderful originality and life. I think this two-parter is in the must see category for fans.

In the previous episode, Archer orchestrated a mutiny in order to try to steal a ship that was somehow stolen from the future. With it, he planned on taking over the evil empire and being its evil emperor. However, in part two, there were some hiccups, including a Gorn aboard the stolen ship that was trying to disable the vessel as well as the machinations of the evil and often disloyal crew. Can Archer manage to rule this awful parallel universe?!

This episode has so much going for it. Like part one, the normal intro for the show is replaced by an evil intro--complete with martial music and clips of war and violence! It also did NOT feature nice beings from our universe--just very, very bad ones from theirs. It was NOT like the nice Trekkie folks getting stuck there but as if it was a show intended for an evil audience to enjoy! It also featured a deliciously evil ending--with no redemption, no nice ending and just more of the awfulness that make this parallel world fun to watch. My only complaint is a minor one--why make a CGI Gorn when the CGI quality was that poor and obviously fake? I really think the original "Star Trek" Gorn looked better!!

Pointless Story

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
1 May 2010

Archer activates the powerful Defiant and uses the ship to defeat the enemies of the Empire, including the internal ones in his crew. Then he heads to Earth with the intention to take over the power in a coup. However, there is a final and unexpected betrayal that affects the fate of Archer and the Empire.

"In a Mirror, Darkly: Part II" is the conclusion of a pointless story of a violent universe. I was expecting some sort of interaction between the universes but the plot is limited to the parallel universe in a forgettable episode. I hope the music score of these two episodes prevail and replace the annoying theme of this series. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "Reflexo Sombrio 2" ("Dark Reflex 2")