"The DuPont Show of the Week" Windfall (1963)

« Prev | 39 of 71 Episodes | Next »

A couple buy an antique chest - which contains A LOT of hidden MONEY!

Author: c382000 from Austin, Tx
6 August 2007

Saw this program at the 1963 original airing - and have never seen it since. It remains with me now, some 44 years later.

The story is this: A couple buys a chest at an antique auction, and when they get it home, find that it contains A LOT of cash - I seem to recall the figure $50,000 (equal to half a million 2000s dollars.) Efforts to contact the original owners are not fruitful, and so the money becomes theirs. They can pay off their house, etc. But there is a dark side: the husband's employer thinks he embezzled the money and he is fired. Friends and family demand money. Then there's the IRS who thinks he stole the money.

The money was nothing but a curse. After much agony, they finally resolve their problems - until they take off the back of the chest to finish the restoration they had started - AND FIND MUCH, MUCH, MUCH MORE CASH - I seem to recall that it was over ten times the original amount. After the misery the original money had brought, they can do the only sane thing - THEY BURN THE NEW MONEY in their fireplace - "Here's a home in Europe"; "Here's the kids' college bills"; etc.

At a young age, I learned how wealth can be a curse as well as a blessing. It was one of the most useful lessons I have ever learned from media, which should be obvious from the fact that I still recall the program after almost 45 years.