IMDb > "Dragnet 1967" Burglary: DR-31 (1969) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Dragnet 1967" Burglary: DR-31 (1969)

« Prev | 65 of 98 Episodes | Next »

You'll either love it or you'll cringe when you see it.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
16 November 2009

This is my favorite episode of "Dragnet" and I love to watch it whenever it comes on TV. However, at the same time, it might just be the one my wife hates the most--not because it was poorly made but because it makes her cringe--it is THAT hard to watch for some people.

An odd series of robberies is occurring. Some strange person wearing some sort of homemade superhero outfit is running about in tights--stealing memorabilia from local theaters and from a movie studio. All of the stuff relates to superheroes and it's inconceivable that anyone would do this. In the end, a very poor and extremely pathetic man is caught--leading to one of the most grueling and difficult interviews in TV cop history--you might just find yourself crying or changing the channel as it's tough to watch this loser disintegrate during the course of the interview. The very end, with the movie poster, is a classic. Some might find it goes 'over-the-top', I thought it was just perfect.

Tim Donnelly stars as the pathetic thief. You might recognize him as one of the firemen from Jack Webb's later TV series, "Emergency". His acting was actually better and more believable in this earlier show ("Dragnet"), as his role on "Emergency" was almost comic-relief.

Multiple Identity.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
18 October 2013

Friday and Gannon manage to get their hands on one of the more bizarre young thieves they've encountered. Someone has been burglarizing stores selling Hollywood memorabilia, smashing glass cases at theaters and making off with posters advertising a "Captain Lightning" movie. The burglar is finally nabbed and questioned by the police.

"Who are you?", asks Joe Friday. Or, maybe more likely, "Tell us who you are, Mister." Who he is, is 23-year-old Stanley Stover, who was always a homely fat boy. The kids used to beat him up and ridicule him at school. His was only the wisp of an existence.

But then he discovered the action heroes of comic books and movies. They were proud, strong, decent, and they fought evil. An idea uncoiled in his head like a serpent.

Why couldn't HE -- Simple Stanley -- adopt the identity of an action hero? He made a ridiculous costume out of his mother's dresses and became "The Caped Crusader." He did -- and he wore the ludicrous wardrobe during his escapades until he was caught.

As Simple Stanley spills the beans about his history, Friday and Gannon change their attitude from authoritarian and demanding to something resembling empathy and pity. And, in its simple way, it really IS a touching story, despite the fact that Simple Stanley, in the person of Tim Donnelly, couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. What is it in human nature that inspires compassion for others who are suffering? And why do some of us seem to have so little of whatever it is.

Stanley Stover is sentenced and required to get psychiatric help. Good luck to him.

Oh, in the interests of full disclosure, I must add that that phrase, "uncoiled in his head" isn't original. Credit (or blame) the person I stole it from, a bright and talented young lady in Kuwait.

Clemency for the Crimson Crusader!

Author: thejcowboy22 from United States
22 August 2016

A divergent episode written by Burt Perlutsky. This episode sways away from the typical harden dope pushers and armed bank robbers of the Dragnet genre. Superhero posters, comics and drawings are stolen from a nearby Hollywood studio art department. Detectives Friday and Gannon are on the case and it doesn't take long for them to catch their man or should I say caped overweight crusader complete with feathered hat, cape and tights. Alas we've found the Crimson Crusader (Tim Donnelly).The evasive super hero will not divulge his real identity at the beginning of the questioning as to what extreme consequences might result in knowing that valuable knowledge. I personally was laughing watching this episode unfold but as time went by you see a lonely loser of a man Stanley Stover emerged under his gaudy outfit and the laughter shifted to empathy and therapy. Stanley explained his transformation from being a pudgy boy bullied in school to escaping into comic book world of Superheroes who were well respected men for fought for justice and were revered. Stanley standing in his poster filled room wanting to just disappear like the superheroes in his mind as his Mother enter the home. Sad ending to an extraordinary Dragnet episode.