IMDb > "Dragnet 1967" A.I.D.: The Weekend (1970) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Dragnet 1967" A.I.D.: The Weekend (1970)

« Prev | 89 of 100 Episodes | Next »

A dull retread

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
30 November 2009

While I loved "Dragnet", I certainly am not a fan of this episode--mostly because so much of it is recycled from previous episodes and there's really no reason to see this one if you've seen the others on which it is based. Bill invites Joe home to his house for the weekend (much like in "Big Neighbor"), though unlike the previous time Bill's wife is not home. The men are supposed to play cards with a couple neighbors, but like the football game in the previous episode, they never get around to finishing--or even starting! Things just keep coming up and the two have a lousy time. Additionally, there is a lady canvasing the neighborhood selling magazine subscriptions using the exact same lie used by a lady selling magazines in "The Subscription Racket". So, there really is no new content here--just a rehash of the series' "greatest hits"--so to speak.

Friday Breaks Character

Author: digger437 from West Bend, WI.
6 November 2014

There are two instances in this particular episode where Friday breaks character. The first one is where Gannon wakes up from a nap and asks what time it is. When Friday says it's 4 o'clock, Gannon answers "Well Joe, what in the world is the matter with you? Friday is barely able to get the line out, "Well nothing, not a thing." He is obviously trying not to laugh.

The second instance is in the kitchen when Gannon realizes he has to defrost a duck for dinner. Gannon says "I don't know why I talk to you anyways. You don't know a thing about cooking." Friday bursts out with a genuine laugh. I think Harry Morgan's portrayal of a hysterical homemaker took Jack Webb by surprise.

This interesting as Morgan has stated in interviews that Webb was very cost conscious, and wanted everything in one take. On more than one occasion Webb chastised Morgan for joking around on the set, as a waste of time and film.