IMDb > "Doctor at Large" Doctor Dish (1971) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Doctor at Large" Doctor Dish (1971)

« Prev | 4 of 29 Episodes | Next »

"Call me Bunty!"

Author: ShadeGrenade from Ambrosia
4 November 2006

Upton visits a local girls' school - nicknamed 'the stacks' by Dr.Maxwell - much to Sue's horror. The pupils are precocious young women with crushes on the good-looking doctor. Soon they are chasing him on bikes, undressing in a provocative manner in his clinic, sending him sexy messages, and turning up at the surgery in droves.

Paul decides to exploit the situation so he can have Sue - by replying to the letters. An angry father turns up, demanding to know what Upton's intentions are towards his daughter...

'Doctor Dish' sounds like one of those terrible low-budget British sex comedies of that time ( ironically, Evans himself was in one, called 'Under The Doctor' ).

The schoolgirls are depicted as sex-crazed monsters, one step up from the 'St.Trinians' versions. We're used to seeing nubile young women on television now, but in 1971 it raised a few eyebrows. The late Barbara Mitchell was best known as Frankie Abbott's hypochondriac mother in 'Please, Sir!' and 'The Fenn Street Gang'.

Funniest moment - Upton trying to walk down a corridor lined with girls.

Get your facts right, Channel 4!

Author: Yonilikka-22 from United Kingdom
7 July 2015

According to Channel 4's 'It Was Alright In The 70's', the 'Doctor At Large' episode 'Doctor Dish' was about doctors lusting after schoolgirls. This is untrue. As I write this, the episode in question has just been repeated in an afternoon slot on I.T.V.-3. The storyline has 'Dr.Michael Upton' ( Barry Evans ) going to a girls' school where the pupils fancy him like mad. Upton does not desire the girls. In fact he regards their attentions as a nuisance. Channel 4 got it wrong big-time. Some might say "Oh well, what does it matter?". My view is if you're going to put the past on television, get it right. 'It Was Alright in The 70's' was an insult to the intelligence. Fortunately, thanks to I.T.V.-3, we can see the original for ourselves and not have our minds made up on our behalf.