IMDb > "Doctor Who" The End of the World (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Doctor Who: The End of the World (#1.2)"

"Doctor Who" The End of the World (2005)

« Prev | 2 of 167 Episodes | Next »

A Fantastic Performance

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
18 April 2007

It's at this point you realise you're watching something entirely different from the show envisaged by Sydney Newman in the early 1960s that ran up to 1989 . For instance there's Hollywood standard special effects and a pumping soundtrack featuring Tainted Love by Soft Cell and Toxic by Britney Spears and other references to popular culture . Plus there's a scene where Jade a tree woman asks The Doctor if Rose is his prostitute ? Cue lots of middle aged men falling off their chairs then phoning everyone they know self righteously proclaiming that this proves DOCTOR WHO is not a children's programme

This is by no means a flawless episode because due to the format it only lasts 45 minutes and watching it on its initial broadcast I found myself missing the old format of four or six 25 minute episodes because this would lead to more scope for stories and The End Of The World suffers from a fairly threadbare plot , basically a whodunnit where it's fairly obvious who done it

But

What makes this story so enjoyable watching it in April 2007 is for mainly one reason - Christopher Eccleston's performance . A lot of fans criticised his performance at the time for " Being about as alien as a junkie from Manchester " and it's true that Eccleston plays the title character in the way he's best known for , namely a brooding , introspective , angry man and if you've notliked any of his previous roles you won't like Eccleston as The Doctor but I would say it's definitely as good as any performance by any actor as The Doctor . There's two scenes that really stick out . One where Jade realises he's a Time Lord and a tear runs down his cheek and the chips segment at the end . To quote the man himself " Fantastic "

A fantastic first adventure for Rose and the audience.

Author: pjgs200 from United States
28 June 2016

The End of the World is a great episode of Doctor Who. I've liked it since the first time I saw it, and I am pretty surprised by how well this episode holds up after so much time. It's funny, dramatic, and action packed. Cassandra is a fun villain, and Eccleston is very good (again) as the 9th Doctor. It might be a bit alien-heavy and off putting to some viewers, but the mystery makes up for that, and Rose (as a human herself) offers a perspective on time travel that feels really human. I particularly liked the ending of this episode. Once everything had finished unfolding, the Doctor and Rose took a few moments to really take it all in. The music, directing, and acting all made the ending of the episode great. The chips scene at the end of the episode is memorable as well. I also liked the new insight into the Doctor, and the questions as to who he is and where he comes from just keep coming and would reel any new fan in quickly.

Fantastic!

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
23 October 2008

After a quite solid start, the new Doctor Who series hits the jackpot already in its second episode. Much of its appeal is on show in the teaser, where the Doctor asks Rose if she would like to go forwards or backwards in time (space travel is not contemplated as of yet). She enthusiastically goes for "forwards" and in order to impress her big time the Doctor makes the TARDIS go further than ever before. As they arrive, they find themselves on a spaceship from which Planet Earth is perfectly visible. What's so special about it? Well, the time is five billion years from Rose's time, and more precisely it's the day the sun expands and ultimately destroys the Earth. As the Doctor coolly quips: "Welcome to the end of the world.".

The spaceship, it turns out, is a gathering place for all those who wish to look at Earth when it gets scorched. Guest of honor is the last "human", Cassandra (Zoe Wanamaker from My Family), actually little more than a skin trampoline after hundreds of surgical operations. As the end approaches, though, everyone quickly realizes something is wrong: someone is plotting to make sure no one leaves the ship alive. And once again, the Doctor is the only one who can save the day.

The major improvement on the previous episode is the mastering of the visual effects: all the aliens and the images of a doomed Earth look absolutely amazing. Then there's Wanamaker's fun vocal cameo, the first of many quality guest appearances in the series. And then there's the exceptional pairing of Piper and Eccleston, with the latter getting more to do than last time and the first vital piece of information regarding his character's back-story revealed (the word "Time Lord" is used for the first time since 1996). It might be the end of the world, but it's also the proper beginning of the Doctor's full-time return to television.

"Burn, baby, burn!"

Author: ShadeGrenade from Ambrosia
31 May 2010

If any programme looked certain to fail it had to be the return of 'Dr.Who' in 2005. Over the years, its very name had become a standing joke in comedians' acts i.e. "what's the show where the sets move more than the actors? Dr.Who!". Focus groups said the new show would flop. Even Russell T.Davies, its head writer and executive producer, appeared to have misgivings when interviewed by B.B.C. Wales just before the transmission of 'Rose'. It had another problem too - family entertainment was perceived to be a lost art form. With children playing computer games in their rooms, who would want to watch the Doctor's new adventures? As a letter writer to Teletext observed: "Kids aren't likely to be impressed by a disappearing police box when they can take photos with their mobile phones!".

With so much against it, the reaction to 'Rose' when finally transmitted was - despite its much-publicised leaking to the internet - nothing short of miraculous. Ten million people tuned in, reviews ( particularly Mark Lawson of 'The Guardian' ) were ecstatic, and a second season quickly commissioned. Happy days were indeed here again. Then a bombshell was dropped. Five days later, the press reported that Christopher Eccleston had quit the role of 'The Doctor'. Some papers treated the news like a major catastrophe. His reasons have never really become clear, although it seems most likely the actor was keen to avoid becoming typecast, particularly in a kids' sci-fi show. Whatever was behind his departure it threw a damper over fans' celebrations.

The second episode - The End Of The World' - is a quite different kettle of fish to its predecessor. The Doctor takes Rose into the far future, to a space station to witness the destruction of the Earth, the human race having long ago moved on. Also aboard are various exotic aliens such as Jabe ( Yasmin Bannerman ) who comes from a planet where the people are made of wood ( now we know where the cast of 'Neighbours' came from ), the Face of Boe ( a giant head in a jar ), the Moxx of Balhoun ( a Mekon-like creature with blue skin ), and, most bizarre of all, Cassandra ( voiced by Zoe Wanamaker ), the last human being, who has had so many face-lifts she now consists of a sheet of skin stretched across a vertical frame ( anticipating the possible derisive reaction of some viewers, Davies has the Doctor laughing his head off as one by one the creatures are introduced, while Rose stands rooted to the spot, looking shocked ).

Mechanical spiders are found scuttling about in the ventilation duct, deaths mount up, and the temperature aboard Platform 1 rises. The Doctor has to find a solution in the nick of time...

Like I said, a different type of story to 'Rose'. Less sprawling, more claustrophobic, reminiscent of old-style stories such as 'The Robots Of Death'. Wanamaker does a terrific job of voicing the evil 'Cassandra', while Piper's 'Rose' is mesmerising. But the acting honours go to Eccleston. Not wishing to denigrate David Tennant, but I do wish his predecessor had signed on for another run. His 'soccer hooligan' Doctor might not have appealed to fans of earlier, more dignified incarnations, but proved to be the shot in the arm the show badly needed. Nice use of Soft Cell's 'Tainted Love' and Britney Spears' 'Toxic' too!

The final scene, set back on Earth, in which the Doctor tells Rose he is the last of his kind, the Time Lords, is incredibly moving and sets the seal on a thoroughly entertaining adventure.

My Kind of Dr. Who Episode

Author: KatherinePetersdorf from Washington, USA
18 January 2014

This was very much so my type of Dr. Who episode. I am a fan of Dr. Who episode that take place in the distant future or on other planets. Classic Sci-Fi with aliens that are new and unique, fun plot twists, and futuristic worlds are my favorite type of Sci-Fi experiences. Dr. Who deliver that in full with a plot twist you will never see coming, amazing aliens (done like Star Wars Original, they are not all CGI and that makes them top line and interesting), and the connections made emotionally push me further into the story. I can't help but feel like I have become addicted.

If you love Sci-Fi, from aliens to alternate worlds you'll love Dr. Who. To be frank this series is not just Sci-Fi, but also Historical, Mystery, Thriller and Adventure, and even Paranormal at times. It encompasses everything you love about watching and reading.

It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
4 January 2014

After the success of the pilot episode, Doctor Who moved onwards and upwards in a confident manner, starting with this episode in which the Doctor takes Rose to see the end of Earth, viewed from a viewing platform in space that has a bunch of rich visitors in attendance. These visitors include The Face Of Boe and a stretched out piece of heavily-moisturised skin named Cassandra (voiced by Zoe Wanamaker), who claims that she is the last pure human being alive, much to the chagrin of Rose.

Written, once again, by Russell T. Davies, this continues to reveal more pieces of information for newcomers, about who The Doctor is and where he comes from, while setting up characters and dynamics that would appear in future episodes - including the enjoyable Bad Wolf motif that ran throughout the first season, leading to a memorable first season finale.

With a more expansive set of life-forms and events on display, this is the perfect way to build upon the goodwill gained by the pilot episode. And it's one of many episodes to become more enjoyable to those who revisit it after watching more seasons of the show.

A zany bright coloured whodunit in Space

Author: Paul Evans from Swansea, United Kingdom
11 August 2015

In the past I suppose i've been fairly critical of The end of the World, and not paid it much attention over the years, and yet on today's watch, i found myself really enjoying it. I really liked Rose's reaction to seeing a myriad of Aliens, she struggles with what she's seeing and walks away confused, it's a great scene. Some of the creations are wonderful, The Moxx of Balhoon, The Lady Cassandra and my favourite creation 'Jabe,' the stunning Yasmin Bannerman was fantastic playing the Tree character, what a pity she only appeared in the one episode. Fortunately it's not too long before we get to see The Lady Cassandra again, the creation itself was great, but the vocals of the wonderful Zoe Wannamaker are of course what makes her. Billie Piper's Rose continues to grow and impress, her scene with Raffalo shows her sudden realisation of where she is and what she's done. I really like the computer voice, Sara Stewart has such a beautiful voice, what a shame we don't get to see her, she's a stunner. A few downsides, it could possibly have done with a bit longer then the 45 minutes as there are one or two bits that feel a bit rushed, the little blue children are a bit annoying. It is pretty obvious who the bad guy is. I quite liked the adherents of the repeated meme, they reminded me a little of characters from one of John Pertwee's stories ' There are far more positives, the sets are great, the effects are good, I love the spiders, and Christopher shows a mysterious, almost mournful side, it is superbly done, he really was 'fantastic.' The mix of Aliens used is excellent. We get the companion in real danger and the Doctor as hero, so all the main elements are there. One notable return to Russell's past, the Doctor says don't go anywhere, to which Rose replies 'Where am I going to go, Ipswich' a line used in Davies's earlier drama Dark Season. All in all this is a very good episode, one which will I think be well remembered, I'll repeat though a huge shame we didn't see any more of Jabe.

After five billions years!!!

Author: Benedito Dias Rodrigues from Brazil
22 June 2017

I'was pretty worried about the first episode has been so weak,so l started to watch the second one contemplating something better,which Doctor Who and Rose to travel five billions years ahead when the Earth is about to burning by the sun,witnessed for many kinds of advanced and weird people when one of them has been trying a sabotage with thousand little robotic spiders....until Doctor Who noticed.....another disappointment episode this so famous series...

Resume:

First watch: 2017 / How Many: 1 / Source: DVD / Rating: 6

Predictable Waste of Time

Author: Amin Gulamali
27 May 2017

As a self-proclaimed aficionado of television, which is a title I now realize means absolutely nothing, I am quite cognisant of the quality of shows I watch as in the newly crowned "golden- era of television" there is too much content and too little time. Though Doctor Who is a show with its strong base of fandom and moments of brilliance, this is far from it and frankly a bunch of DW fans inflated the score.

The plot is so so predictable that I could see the ending a mile away with blind folds and sunglasses on at night. There is very little to no explanation that is logical about a world 5.5 billion years from now, which somehow preserves all race, class, and social roles. The only nod I can give the writers is the symbolism of using the black robbed men as a pre-meditated framee for the crime committed by the pale plastic surgery "human" lady.

Other than its storied brand, this episodes only redeeming qualities are the astronomical amounts of money the BBC probably spent on mediocre CGI graphics and Britney Spears's song rights; two things the producers thought would help the show age well, but instead left episodes like this in the basket of early 2000s disappointments like the Star Wars prequels, looking at you Episode I.

A pro tip to producers, directors, and film makers of all types: Spend time and money on your plot, cuts, and the building of the story. NO amount of costumes, star power, and "high-tech" can save you from a bad predictable plot. This is why movies that are decades old are still worthy and others made yesterday are forgotten. This episode was so lazy with its cuts, story especially regarding character emotion, and surprisingly location scouting (can't the BBC find somewhere better than a boiler tunnel with old internet cables running along hot water pipes for the inner working of a space observation deck 5.5 billion years from now?). Just watch 2001: A Space Odyssey to see how it's done.

Nonetheless, for me this a right of passage on a journey to the real good Doctor Who, and passes the time while we all really wait for Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman to get the schedule aligned for some more Sherlock. So glad TV is better today.

"...welcome to the end of the world."

Author: tlfirth from Cardiff
15 July 2016

One of the greatest genres of Classic Doctor Who was most definitely, in my opinion, the science-fiction. In truth, this is because the Doctor is himself an alien, and where would Doctor Who be without its Daleks, Cybermen and Ice Warriors from planets far and wide. Also, Genesis of the Daleks was and remains my favourite Classic Who story purely because it successfully depicts the ambiance and harshness of a planet ragged with war and poisoned by deception. Not to mention the inception of Davros' creations, the Daleks - genetically mutated monsters in short.

The End of the World may not be hardcore science-fiction, but the setting and special effects are two of the main qualities of the episode. It feels absolutely alien, as it does to Rose (our eyes and ears throughout), with a party of multi-planetary aliens gathering to watch the Earth burn in the heat of the Sun. Unfortunately, the technology and scientific-tone is bogged down and, more than anything, isolated by a murder mystery plot. Russell T. Davies went for a simplistic story that above all else attempts to deepen the Doctor and Rose's relationship.

In that case, the episode is successful, with their relationship going from being traveling strangers, to a shaky confrontation and finally to a strengthened friendship as the Doctor learns to appreciate Rose's human side, and Rose learns to understand the Doctor's eccentricity and accept that it will never change. Also included is another teasing hint at the Doctor's recent past involving something quite terrible, according to Jabe. That emotional moment is enough to convince us that whatever it was was quite traumatic. A war that grabbed the notice of the entire Universe it seems and affected species such as the Nestene Consciousness and the Forest of Cheem. And to end we get that all famous line, "I'm the last of the Time Lords".

Despite her comical side, Cassandra O'Brien dot delta seventeen turns out to be quite a twisted, melodramatic and evil enemy with a frightening plan to destroy an entire space station full of dignitaries. Whilst the reveal is surprising, the format of this murder mystery is predictable and repetitive. Thus the originality isn't all there, and it feels a little stunted because of it - perhaps a mix of Black Orchid and Four to Doomsday. Nevertheless, it has great visuals, and great performances from both Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper, who are both naturally still finding their feet in their roles.

Only two episodes, there's definitely promise of greatness from this series, but nothing special has resulted yet. It does rear its head at some point during the season, but the amount of time it takes shows how hard writer Russell T. Davies found it to map out his characters and breath life into them.

Favourite Quotes:

"Is that a technical term, jiggery pokery?" "Yeah, I came first in jiggery pokery. What about you?" "No, I failed hullabaloo." - Rose and the Doctor

"No, I mean it. I would rather die. It's better to die than live like you, a bitchy trampoline." "Oh, well. What do you know." "I was born on that planet, and so was my mum, and so was my dad, and that makes me officially the last human being in this room, 'cos you're not human. You've had it all nipped and tucked and flattened till there's nothing left. Anything human got chucked in the bin. You're just skin, Cassandra. Lipstick and skin. Nice talking." - Rose and Cassandra

"You think it'll last forever, people and cars and concrete, but it won't. One day it's all gone. Even the sky. My planet's gone. It's dead. It burned like the Earth. It's just rocks and dust before it's time." - The Doctor