IMDb > "Cheers" The Ghost and Mrs. LeBec (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Cheers" The Ghost and Mrs. LeBec (1990)

« Prev | 191 of 271 Episodes | Next »

The Ghost and Mrs. LeBec (#8.23)

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
11 June 2014

Darryl Mead is back to the bar and asks Carla out on a date again. Now that she is a widow she agrees, but it doesn't go too well because she keeps on seeing Eddie everywhere. She gets a psychic to communicate with Eddie and Frasier finds it crazy. Carla though calms down when the psychic communicates with Eddie and he allows her to go out.

Had many fun moments. Frasier and Lilith's conversation about what happens if he dies was awesome. I love Lilith, a great character, just like her husband. The whole psychic thing was weird, they are nothing like psychiatrists. But this is fitting to Carla's character.

The moment when Rebecca realizes who is the producer of that device she wants to complain about was great as well. I honestly didn't even expect it.

That Gives Me A Warm Fuzzy

Author: Bolesroor from New York, NY USA
8 May 2011

Yikes! Sam calls in sick, at home with the 'pox, so we're left with a Carla episode in which she has hallucinations of her dead husband dressed in his hockey uniform.

Terrible stuff, from beginning to end. Hunky baseball player Darryl Mead returns to the bar, and like any celebrity athlete who can have any woman he wants, he develops an instant crush for short, hideous gargoyle Rhea Perlman, a Jewish woman whose character is an assassination on the Italian culture. The hallucinations of the "Eddies" in hockey masks is broad, and silly, and embarrassing, and the séance finale is as ridiculous as it is unfunny.

The one good moment in this episode is an accident that occurred during filming that stays in the show! Carla sees "Eddies" everywhere and jumps on top of the bar in fear. After the commercial break Frasier pulls her down, and in the process Kelsey Grammar accidentally drops a liquor bottle on his foot. He continues on with the scene, even after Woody Harrelson ad-libs: "How's your foot, Dr. Crane?" Kelsey- limping but still in character- responds, "Not so good, Woody." It's a beautiful moment.

Otherwise we have a god-awful guest-appearance from Georgia Brown as Madame Lazora, who calls Cliff a "lardbutt" upon meeting him. I'm not sure what gives this guest-star the right to openly abuse main characters in the show for no apparent reason but the writers must understand... I'm sure they'll let us know someday when they're good and ready. Madame Lazora's senseless hatred of Cliff continues when she asks him to join the séance because he will "draw the negative energy away from the rest of us." What a sweetheart! This is the type of bad actress in a bad role that makes you hate television.

The B-story about Rebecca going on television to complain about an electric leg-shaver is too stupid for me to comment on, so I won't. It's only Kelsey Grammar's wonderful performance that keeps this episode afloat. He plays skeptic, narrator and de facto lead, and it's no surprise that the brilliant actor is especially excellent. He still can't save this disaster.

GRADE: D