IMDb > "Cheers" Loverboyd (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

« Prev | 190 of 271 Episodes | Next »

Loverboyd (#8.22)

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
11 June 2014

Kelly is being sent to Europe to study. It is mainly done to get her away from Woody. He wants to give her a promise ring but they have a fight. Sam gets him to climb up to her room and Woody proposes. Kelly agrees, but Woody feels bad putting her against her dad so they just become secretly engaged.

I can't say I liked this episode. Really not much too laugh about. Maybe it is just too much of Kelly and Woody for an episode. The "look how incredibly dumb I am" humor only goes well in small doses. I just found their conversation on dating other people funny. Norm's small story brings some laughs as well.

Sometimes I Get Mad

Author: Bolesroor from New York, NY USA
7 May 2011

Woody and Kelly become secretly engaged in this forgettable episode, the point of which I still don't understand. Was the goal here to free Woody's character up from his relationship with Kelly so he could date other women? That's the only possible explanation for sending Kelly to Europe. In spite of the fact that Woody promises her he will date while she's away, he never does, which begs the question: What was the point?

This is Woody & Kelly's show, all the way... Harrelson and Jackie Swanson achieve a kind of zen stupidity, especially in the scene in which Kelly gets angry with Woody and tells him to take his ring back: "No, seriously, can anyone tell me what that means?!?"

Norm's designated driver sub-plot is cute, but not exactly hilarious. The rest of this episode is spent trying to get Sam involved in the proceedings so he can accompany Woody on his romantic adventure. Malone winds up eating cheddar cheese popcorn and watching Ghostbusters.

You can't blame him.