IMDb > "Charmed" We're Off to See the Wizard (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Charmed" We're Off to See the Wizard (2002)

« Prev | 86 of 180 Episodes | Next »

So Far, the Best Episode of the Fourth Season

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
25 July 2007

In the underworld, Cole is preparing to oath in the presence of the evil book of shadows Grimoire in a coronation ceremony to become the new The Source and achieves full power. The last wizard unsuccessfully tries to steal the Grimoire and associates to Piper and Paige to avoid the ceremony. Paige tells Phoebe that Piper and she believe Cole is a demon, and the upset Phoebe has a premonition confirming that her sisters are right about her beloved husband. Meanwhile, The See poisons Phoebe, using her pregnancy and her love for Cole to convince her to be the Evil-Queen of The Source.

"We're Off to See the Wizard" is so far the best episode of the Fourth Season. The pleasant story has many plot points, and even Holly Marie Combs has a reasonable performance. The promising conclusion, with Phoebe turning evil and breaking The Power of Three lead the series to an unpredictable sequence. My vote is ten.

Title (Brazil): "O Mago" ("The Wizard")

The wonderful wizard of San Francisco

Author: Realrockerhalloween from United States
17 September 2016

We're off to see the wizard deals with a Wizard wants to avenge his people wiped out by the source years ago. Now he must steal the gramoire and he uses Cole's love for Phoebe to take it from him. This one feels the most well rounded yet it still begs the question was Phoebe being manipulated by the seer to stop him from being The Source or was he really going to for from the transfer of powers. The Seer has always made it clear that she wanted Cole to be the ruler of the underworld for her own gains and unless she saw her own demise it makes sense she would change events back to its original timeline. Still I'm surprised she didn't take up the mantle herself to rush her own plans to become the queen of the underworld.

Another aspect was the grimoire was used by demons during a coronation and it seems that anyone could perform it with the tome yet isn't heavily guarded. If every demon can shimmer in to steal it then there should be one hundred sources running around instead of one. The writing is very good, but it doesn't seem the writers take the time to work out plot holes or the themes they created and open up contradicting details without nothing to answer them.