"Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Weight of the World (#5.21)"
« Prev | 99 of 145 Episodes | Next »

An odd episode, but definitely worth a look

Author: katierose295 from United States
1 September 2006

This is an odd episode, but I really like it. It shows that the Scoobies are pretty capable even when the Slayer is out of commission. And it has a really cool twist with Ben and Glory. It's not the most exciting episode, but I highly recommend that you see it before "The Gift" since it sets up a lot of the conflicts that the gang will face in the season finale.

"Weight of the World" picks up right where "Spiral" left off. Dawn has been captured by Glory, the knights of Byzanthium are dead and Buffy is catatonic. Her failure to protect Dawn is just the final straw. No one can reach her. Willow takes control of the Scoobies. Commedeering Ben's car, they head back to Sunnydale. Sending Xander and Giles to the hospital, Willow uses magic to enter Buffy's mind and find out how to get the Slayer out of her trance. Once inside Buffy's dreams she sees that guilt has paralyzed the Slayer and works to revive her. Meanwhile Spike and Xander go to Doc's, where he tries to kill them. It seems that Doc's been working for Glory. After stabbing him, they steal his scrolls and head back to the Magic Box.

Dawn is trying to escape Glory. When Ben resurfaces, he tries to help Dawn, but the wall between Glory and Ben is fading. They can talk to each other now. Glory convinces Ben to help her. If he'll let her kill Dawn, she'll make him immortal. Ben agrees. Buffy finally come to and meets up with the others at the Magic Box. Once there, though, Giles tells her that according to the scrolls the only way to stop Glory is to kill Dawn.

There's a lot to like about this episode. It's the first time that Willow really takes control of the Scoobies. Even Spike follows her orders, which is an indication of things to come. When Buffy's not around the Scoobies carry on with out her, but Willow is always determined to get her back. I love Willow inside Buffy's head on that endless recycled dream. "I think we already Deja-ed this Vu." And Spike, Giles and Xander scene at the hospital is great. Spike might be on an epic quest of heroic importance, but he's still gonna steal pints of blood and lit cigarettes right in front of the no smoking sign. Also, Ben and Glory's argument is really cool. The two of the switching back and forth as they shout and fight for control. I was really shocked when Ben finally gave in at the end. Finally, I like Spike's repeated attempts to explain Ben and Glory's connection. He doesn't understand why he's the only one who can remember seeing them switch. "Is everyone here very stoned?"

I think that this episode is about contrasting Ben with Spike. Ben's not really a bad guy. He's tried to help Buffy and stop Glory all season. But when it come down to the line, he wants to live. Even if it means the rest of the world, and Dawn, have to die. He's too weak to take his own life, he won't kill Dawn himself, so he's just going to sit back and let Glory tear down the walls of reality. Then we have Spike, who's a soulless vampire. He has no real reason to fight this battle, since Glory opening all the hell dimensions won't kill him. He's already dead. And evil. And pretty much immortal. So, the loss of Manchester United and dog racing aside, Spike will be fine whether or not Glory carries out her plan. But, he's willing to die to protect Dawn and the rest of world because he loves Buffy. So we have a "human" helping a hell god destroy the would out of weakness. And a "demon" helping a Slayer to save the world out of love. Ben's become a villain and Spike is on his way to becoming a champion. BTVS likes to turn good guys bad and bad guys good, but I think that this is one of the most effective contrasts that the show ever gives us.

On the downside, didn't Willow tell Spike NOT to be seen at Glory's house? It looks to me like he just walked right in the front door. Did he know it was empty or was he just ignoring her?

My favorite part of the episode: Anya and Willow's intense speech right before Willow enters Buffy's mind. After listing all the possible problems and things that could go wrong, Willow mutters, "Well wish me luck." "Okay." Anya agrees, gravely. Then she plasters an incredibly fake smile on her face, slaps a friendly hand on Willow shoulder and chirps. "Good luck!" Really funny stuff.

A dream within a dream?

Author: Joxerlives from United Kingdom
22 April 2012

THE WEIGHT OF THE WORLD

The Good; The dream sequence is wonderful, nice scene between Doc and Xander/Spike too. Love the forgetting Glory joke (as did the writers of Dr Who to judge by 'The Silence').

The Bad; Very much a standing still sort of ep but hinting at better things to come. If Doc could tell that Joyce had good DNA from a hair off Dawn's head then surely he'd realise she was the Key? (Glory can tell it by tasting Tara's blood)

Best line; Dawn "I want to go home" (AAAAWWWWWW!)

Jeez!; Dawn hostage is horrible. Buffy in her dream smothering Dawn is UTTERLY horrible! Killing Dawn is unthinkable.

Kinky dinky; Spike says he thinks Buffy likes it rough. And season 6 will prove him right!

Captain Subtext; Again Glory seems to have some genuine rapport/attraction with her Key. Glory says that she and Dawn need 'Girl time' and 'big girl fun'.

Apocalypses; 5,

Scoobies in bondage: Buffy: 8 Giles: 4 Cordy: 5 Will: 3 Jenny: 1 Angel: 4 Oz: 1 Faith: 3 Joyce: 1 Wes: 1 Xander; 1 Dawn; 1

Scoobies knocked out: Buffy: 16 Giles: 10 Cordy: 6 Xander: 8 Will: 5 Jenny: 2 Angel: 6 Oz: 3 Faith: 1 Joyce: 3 Wes: 1 Anya;1

Kills: Buffy: 94 vamps, 32 demons, 6 monsters, 3 humans, 1 werewolf, 1 spirit warrior & a robot Giles: 5 vamps, 1 demon Cordy: 3 vamps, a demon Will: 6 vamps Angel: 3 vamps, 1 demon, 1 human Oz: 3 vamps, 1 zombie Faith: 16 vamps, 5 demons, 3 humans Xander: 5 vamps, 2 zombies, a demon, a demon Anya: a demon Riley; 18 vamps + 7 demons

Scoobies go evil: Giles: 1 Cordy: 1 Will: 2 Jenny: 1 Angel: 1 Oz: 1 Joyce: 1 Xander: 3

Alternate scoobies: Buffy: 6 Giles: 3 Cordy: 1 Will: 2 Jenny: 2 Angel: 3 Oz: 2 Joyce: 2 Xander: 3

Recurring characters killed: 10 Jesse, Flutie, Jenny, Kendra, Larry, Snyder, Professor Walsh, Forrest, McNamara, Joyce

Sunnydale deaths; 89;

Total number of scoobies: 6 Giles, Xander, Willow, Buffy, Anya, Tara,

Xander demon magnet: 5(6?) Preying Mantis Lady, Inca Mummy Girl, Drusilla, VampWillow, Anya (arguably Buffy & Faith with their demon essences?), Dracula?

Scoobies shot: Giles: 2 Angel: 3 Oz: 4 Riley; 1

Notches on Scooby bedpost: Giles: 2; Joyce & Olivia, possibly Jenny and 3xDraccy babes? Cordy: 1? Buffy: 3 confirmed; Angel, Parker,Riley, 1 possible, Dracula(?) Angel: 1;Buffy Joyce: 1;Giles, 2 possible, Ted and Dracula(?) Oz: 3; Groupie, Willow & Verucca Faith:2 ;Xander, Riley Xander: 2; Faith, Anya Willow: 2;Oz and Tara Riley; 3; Buffy, Sandy and unnamed vampwhore

Questions and observations; Different little Buffy this time and I think she's a much better match, if you've ever seen the burger ads she really does resemble 6 year old SMG. Lovely to see Joyce and Hank again, lovely to see the first meeting between Buffy and Dawn and what she means to Buffy. We see Glory try to bring her worldly goods with her to her home dimension, humanity working on demons once again. Willow in charge once more foretelling season 6. Glory actually uses Dawn's catchphrase 'Get out!'

So Ben, good guy, bad guy? Hard to judge but ultimately a bad guy with some sympathetic qualities. Maybe in the end Ben is influenced by his Glory side to be evil?

Marks out of 10; 7/10

A filler, though well made

Author: abbabash from Milano, Italia
18 September 2009

Though being a very good episode, dreamy like "Restless" (one of my favorite ones), "The Weight of the World" remains a filler: some like "OMG: the season should be 22 episodes long and we are short of one!". I do think that Buffy's catatonic state is stressed like, say, she become Mormon or Scientologist. IMHO a catatonic Slayer is a contradiction in terms! The good side is that Willow takes her wizardry to a metaphysical level, not just interacting with physical laws to change them. She had to face both Tara's (her lover) and Buffy's (her best friend) madness and she succeeded to cure them both. (Tara is cured in next episode, but here are shown new Willow's powers).

Dawn Must Be Killed

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15 October 2007

Glory is feeling guilty and confused and she feels also that the bond between Ben and her is fading. Meanwhile, Buffy is catatonic and Willow goes into her mind, finding that Buffy feels guilty for Dawn. Spike recalls that Ben and Glory are two entirely separate entities sharing one body and tells the Scooby gang. Glory is waiting for the exact moment to activate the key with Dawn's blood, turning down the barrier of dimensions and mixing the different realities into each other. But Ben wants to survive struggling with her. Giles reads an ancient document that Spike and Xander got from Doc and finds that Dawn must be killed to save the world.

In this weird episode, the duel between Glory and Ben is great, with intense use of special effects. However, the trip of Willow in Buffy's mind is repetitive, boring, silly and pointless. The conclusion of Giles means that the Knights of Byzantium were correct. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "O Peso do Mundo" ("The Weight of the World")

Somebody quick...go call Weight Watchers!!!

Author: s k from United States
1 August 2010

As usual, the dark characters steal the show. There's something totally entertaining about watching Glory lament the fact that now that she has everything she's always wanted, she's uncomfortably unfulfilled. There's the rich irony that the show lacks in so many other areas once the Scooby Doobies take center stage. And when she asks Dawn if she wants a pizza -- it's priceless! And like it or not -- the things she says to Dawn about how crazy this world really is -- is spot on.

It's similar with Spike -- he clearly gets the best lines and is a good enough actor to get them across masterfully. (And when he lights up a cigarette in the hospital in front of the "No Smoking" sign it's just such classic Spike.)

The rest of the cast, however, would be lucky to be able to work on a daytime soap, they're that lame. And hey...let's not forget how much better Buffy delivered her lines when she was catatonic. (In this series...you have to be thankful for the little things.) And since it's never mentioned...am I the ONLY ONE who would love to see that entire troupe of Glory's munchkin-like minions popped like an annoying pimple before a big Friday night date? They're like toe jelly in slimy dirty tennis shoes.

Highlights, you say? Well...watching Spike trying to explain to the Scoobies the connection between Ben and Glory was like re-watching 50 First Dates. (And I mean that in a good way.) And...this episode does deliver the fundamental existential question -- what are the things in life that make us question whether we really want to be here or not. For Buffy, it was knowing that Glory could/would beat her, and that Dawn would die as a result. For Ben it was knowing that he wanted to be here more than he wanted Dawn to be here. For Dawn, it was her fear of dying despite knowing that she was the key to unlock unimaginable evil. In a way...this episode says more than any other episode. As such, I strongly disagree that it's merely "filler", as another reviewer stated. So despite it's obvious flaws, The Weight Of The World is 1 better than a 5.