IMDb > "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" Lie to Me (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Lie to Me (#2.7)"

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" Lie to Me (1997)

« Prev | 20 of 145 Episodes | Next »

Buffy's old friend Ford comes to town with a plan

Author: katierose295 from United States
18 July 2006

There's a interesting theme emerging over BTVS this season, one that will be revisited throughout the entire run of the series: The good guy's aren't always so good and the bad guy's aren't always so bad. "Lie to Me" confronts this idea in several ways. Angel may currently be a hero and champion. But, back when he didn't have a soul, he turned Dru into a vampire, making her an insane killer. At the same time, Drusilla, wasn't always a demon. She was once a pious young woman training to be a nun. Ford, Buffy's long-lost friend, is willing to sell out everyone he knows to cheat death. While, Spike, the scourge of Sunnydale, quickly abandons his evil plans for glory to save Dru's un-life. Thing's are always as clear cut as they seem. It's a hard fact of growing up that Giles and Buffy discuss at the end of "Lie to Me." Sunnydale is growing more complicated and the show is becoming more interesting because of it. This is an excellent episode that foreshadows the difficult choices and complex situations that lay ahead.

"Lie to Me" centers around Buffy's childhood friend, Ford, arriving in Sunnydale. Ford seems like a nice guy, hanging out with the Scoobies, going to the Bronze with Buffy, etc... But like most seemingly nice people in the Buffyverse, he has a secret. Ford is dying. Convinced that he can escape death if he becomes a vampire, he cuts a deal with Spike. Ford and his vampire-cult friends know that Buffy's the Slayer. They agree to capture Buffy in their underground nightclub/bomb shelter, if Spike and the gang will turn them all into vampires. Spike, between orchestrating the theft of a ancient book from Giles and jealously learning that Angel and Dru have seen each other while he wasn't around, quickly agrees to Ford's plan. Meanwhile, Xander, Willow and Angel are suspicious of Ford. (Xander, mocking Buffy and Ford's overly cute relationship, is particularly funny. "This is Ford, my bestest friend of all my friends.") After investigating his past they become convinced that Ford's up to no good. Buffy, angry that they have been snooping around without telling her, goes to confront Ford herself and fall right into his trap.

There's a lot to like in this episode. The vampire cult is hilarious. Angel's frustration and disgust with the group's worship of the "lonely ones" is great. And this episode introduces Chantarelle, who will turn up again on BTVS and "Angel." Also, I like the scene where Angel visits Willow's bedroom and they start investigating Ford on her computer. "I'm not suppose to have boys in my room," she worriedly confesses. And I really enjoy Willow's high-pitched strained laugh the next day as she tries to lie to Buffy. Spike and Dru are always wonderful and this episode begins to show the specter of Angel that still hangs over their relationship. Plus, the idea of Giles and monster trucks is just funny.

A few small complaints about the episode, how did Buffy know that Spike would back down if she threatened Dru? Buffy had only just learned about Spike and Drusilla's relationship. Vampires aren't suppose to have feelings or care about anything. Logically, Spike should have been incapable of caring for Dru and been completely willing to let Buffy kill her if it meant succeeding with his plan. How did Buffy know that Spike was different than most vampires? That he would stop the fight to save Dru? It's strange, but it's certainty an indication of things to come. Also, I think the make-up in this episode is a little heavy. Especially, in the scene where Willow and Angel talk in her bedroom. They both look a little "made up."

My favorite part of the episode: Spike's frustration over Dru's pet bird. "The bird's dead, Dru. You left it in its cage and you didn't feed it and now its all dead... Just like the last one." I'd be curious to know how many poor birds Spike had to catch for her over the years.

What the Divinyls were singing about

Author: Joxerlives from United Kingdom
15 January 2012

Lie to Me;

The Good; The central story is very strong and it makes great fun of all the vampfans out there (Twilight lovers I'm talking to you ). The scene with Dru and the kid in the playground is scary as hell . First appearance of Chantrelle/Lily/Anne and she's great. Angel in the vamp club is hilarious. Ingenious the way Buffy defeats Spike and co, once again you see that this girl has brains and guile and not just looks and brawn. Adore the Angel/Will scene, her hiding her undies and telling him she's not allowed boys in her room. Willow finally realising what the Divinyls song 'I touch myself' is really about (you know if that had been sung by a guy they'd have never played it on the radio). Willow still in her 'startled virgin' phase which they play for laughs and will eventually be taken over by Dawn as Will grows more and more worldly. The Divinyls also provide music for the Buffy movie. Lovely scene between Giles and Buffy at the end.

The Bad; Not much, strong ep

Best line; Giles; "I believe that's called 'Growing up" Buffy; "Then I'd like to stop now, OK?" but also Willow (about Angel) "Ours is a forbidden love" Xander (after Chantrelle describes vamps as 'the lonely ones') "Actually we call them the nasty, pointy, bitey ones" and Giles' wonderful speech at the end.

Questions and observations; Cordy identifies with Marie-Antoinette. One day she too will be a Queen with people having their heads cut off 'Over the Rainbow'. Ford likes Jack Palance as Dracula which is also the version Angel recommends (you wonder did he ever meet the real thing? He was certainly in Romania) Don't bother looking for Ford in the Buffy movie, I assure you he's not even mentioned. Jason Bher (Ford) will work with SMG again in The Grudge. We get the story of Angelus and Drusilla for the first time, explaining why Angel was reluctant to talk it over with the Scoobies. Ford is SUCH a scumbag. OK, you're dying but that doesn't mean you kill dozens of other people to enable you to 'live'. His scheme also seems unnecessarily elaborate, why not just catch a vamp, chain it up in the open and tell it either to sire you and you'll release it or it'll be dead by sun-up? Buffy entered a beauty contest at Hemery (check out 'I know what you did last summer' for SMG in a swimsuit pageant). Giles and Jenny have their second date at a monster truck rally which I think would have been a great episode in itself. Spike keeps his word and sires Ford, as with his love of Dru he seems a very atypical vampire. Great stuff 8/10

Old friends

Author: Realrockerhalloween from United States
30 September 2016

Lie to me deals with an old friend of Buffy's coming to Sunnydale from L.A. under false pretenses in order to seek immortality. It's a favorite of mine as we get a glimpse into her past where she had a major crush on him, her favorite snack was ores with apple juice and her favorite song was I touch myself giving us in dept analysis into her past. Another aspect is you can't help feel the betrayal she feels once her undercover work reveals he trades her to Spike in order to become a vampire to cute a brain tumor he's dying from leaving you sadden by these tragic circumstances beyond control. Yet I feel if he had taken Buffy's offer to let her go she'd had been by his side till the very end and be the true friend he needed during a difficult time.

Another aspect is how growing up is hard to do when it comes to right and wrong. Is it OK to lie to loved ones for a cute or do you turn be up front with your problems to see if they can help out.

The One Where Buffy's Friend Wants To Be A Vampire...

Author: Taylor Kingston from Australia
6 December 2014

I really like this episode. I ducted two points because I absolutely hated the character of Ford.

In this episode, Buffy's friend from her old school, Ford, moves to town. And he transfers to Sunnydale High. But the thing is, he's a bit suspicious. Neither Willow nor Xander believe that his intentions are good. So they do some digging, along with Angel's help. He's especially suspicious when he tells Buffy that he knows her secret of being The Slayer. How does he know this? Why didn't he say anything in the last year? Why is he suddenly in Sunnyvale? All will be answered. It turns out that Ford is dying, so doing the only sane thing he could think of, he decides to become a vampire. He chooses to sacrifice Buffy in order to get Spike to turn him. He lures Buffy into a club, where everyone believes that vampires are just "misunderstood". How dumb can people be? I'll answer that for you. Really dumb. In the end, Buffy escapes and traps Spike, Ford, and all the other vampires, including Drusilla, in the club. They eventually turn on Ford and eat him.

Overall, I give this episode an 8 out of 10.