"Battlestar Galactica" Act of Contrition (2004)

« Prev | 4 of 73 Episodes | Next »

Painful Recollections

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
22 August 2008

During the celebration of the one thousandth flight of Lieutenant Flat-Top, there is a fatal accident with thirteen pilots and they die in an explosion in the deck of the hangar. Commander Adama requests Starbuck to train a group of rookies as replacement in an urgent basis. However, the experienced pilot is still traumatized with the lost of her fiancé Zak, who failed in the pilot examination but she approved him. Meanwhile in Caprica, Helo and Boomer find a shelter in a restaurant through a military beacon with the necessary supplies for their survival.

"Act of Contrition" is certainly the best episode so far of the First Season of Galactica. The dramatic show is centered in Starbuck and her painful recollections of her relationship with Zak Adama while assigned to train a group of new pilots, affecting her judgment and evaluation. The conclusion is promising that this series will improve in the next shows. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Dolorosas Lembrancas" ("Painful Recollections")

An Outstanding Episode of an Outstanding Series.

Author: natonator2000 from United States
29 July 2009

My father was a reluctant convert to Battlestar Galactica. He had watched the mini-series/pilot and first 3 episodes with me and enjoyed them, but he kept the jaded view that he was watching science fiction. He was no fan of the genre.

I was trapping him into watching this show, because I felt it was too good a show to watch alone so every week I made sure I was over for dinner on BSG Night.

It was this episode that finally won him over. We were both awed by this episode. The writing, the drama, the music. The way the Memorial Ceremony for the pilots killed in the accident aboard Galactica was inter cut with flashbacks of Zack Adama's funeral service on Caprica.

Both me and my father came to the realization that we were now true fans of a show like no other. True drama and character interaction in a science fiction series was something completely unexpected. It stopped being a scifi show for my dad.

Battlestar Galactica was about strained relationships and tortured introspection. Lee Adama's failed relationship with his father, Commander Adama. Commander Adama's relationship with Kera "Starbuck" Thrace who he loved as a daughter and she was equally loyal to him.

That I got to watch and enjoy BSG with my father is one of my greatest memories. Sadly he passed away a couple of years before the story of the rag tag band of colonial ships came to a close, but I cherish what I got!

A sense of guilt

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
7 September 2010

At the start of this episode 'Flat Top' makes his 1000th landing so the pilots and deck crew have an impromptu celebration. The celebration turns to tragedy when an accident leads to a recon drone firing in the hangar and killing thirteen pilots. Needing replacement viper pilots Commander Adama orders Starbuck to train those people in the fleet who have flying experience. Still feeling guilty about passing Adama's son Zac to fly Starbuck fails the new recruits at the first opportunity. Apollo, needing those pilots, goes to see his father and lets slip that Starbuck had a reason to feel guilty. When Adama learns the truth he orders her to continue their training and on their first flight they run into a Cylon patrol. In order to save the recruits Starbuck takes them on and as the episode ends her ship is hit, spins downwards to a nearby planet and she ejects. In secondary stories the president finally sees Dr. Cottle and requests an alternative therapy for her cancer and back on Caprica Helo and Sharon find a bunker which appears to contain everything they need.

This was a good episode which introduced new characters 'Cat', 'Hot Dog' and 'Chuckles'; of course this being Battlestar Galactica there is no telling how long they will survive. Katee Sackhoff did a good job as Starbuck as she had to deal with the guilt of getting the man she loved killed. We will just have to wait and see whether or not Adama can forgive her; assuming she can be rescued from the planet.

Flight Ops and Accidents

Author: C. Hilts from San Diego, California
2 January 2007

Excellent episode in that it depicts how quickly jubilation can turn into destruction, or calm can turn into storm.

A mechanical accident on the hangar deck causes nearly half Galactica's veteran pilots to die unexpectedly. They must be replaced, and Lt. "Starbuck" Thrace has to train the replacements. She begins by washing them out on their first day, but is coerced into readmitting them. During basic flight training the trainees and their flight instructor are jumped by enemy raiders. Starbuck, the flight instructor, engages the raiders so the trainees can run for the ship.

Technical mistake (spoiler): When Starbuck's Viper is seen spinning out of control down through the atmosphere of the planet, the altimeter is shown winding up, gaining altitude, instead of unwinding as the craft rapidly loses altitude.

This episode is an homage to The Right Stuff and to Top Gun, with shots and scenes quoted from both. Watch for Bodie Olmos spinning his pen and striking a look in homage to Val "Iceman" Kilmer of Top Gun.