"Batman: The Animated Series" It's Never Too Late (1992)

« Prev | 6 of 85 Episodes | Next »

An Old-Time Crime Story

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
4 July 2007

Rupert Thorne and Arnold Stromwell continue their "mob wars" for control of Gotham's underworld. Does that sound like "mob" names to you? How ridiculously PC is this with these Anglicized names, instead of the ethnic names of mob bosses that are in real life. Oh, well, that's timid the timid world of entertainment. Commissioner Gordon calls it struggle between youth and old age with Stromwell about to be pushed out. "We'll see about that," says Stromwell, to his TV set as he hears Gordon

Actually, Stromwell wants to end the wars, especially since his young son is missing, but Thorne is brutal and stays brutal throughout this old-fashioned crime story. It kind of reminded me a bit of old gangster movies like "Angels With Dirty Faces." Hollywood liked the kind of story angle that you see in this episode: you know, the kind where two old pals who grew up together wound up on the opposite sides of the law.

I continue to be amazed at the color in here and the fabulous artwork. It's simply amazing. Sometimes, as in this episode, it's the best part of the show.

Mature animated storytelling

Author: Ethan_Martin from United States
22 June 2016

The writers crafted a fantastic mob story here. The episode handles some pretty adult topics like gang wars, drug kingpins, addiction, broken families, broken homes, murder plots, and childhood trauma. Yet despite all of this, it knows how much it can get away with. I'm actually kind of surprised they managed to get away with this much back in 1992. I mean I wasn't even alive when this aired, but you'd figure parents wouldn't want their kids watching/hearing about topics like this. They took a big chance, and the story they told is great. If "Two-Face Part 1" wasn't the cross-over to more mature writing, then this was.