« Prev | 5 of 91 Episodes | Next »

Really different, not scary, but so atmospheric.

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
2 August 2006

This is one of those episodes of this show that you watch and years later you remember the basic outline because of how different it is. The plot is a girl goes to her cousin's house, and is possessed by the ghost of her grandmother by putting on her jacket. The attic ends up opening up and they go to a weird past where she has to feed her pet hounds. It's a very odd episode, but it's really entertaining and the acting it is really good, and might be the best for any episodes of "Are you Afraid of the Dark?". This episode stuck in my ind for years, and I'm sure it will for you too.

My rating: Great episode. 26 mins. TVY7

Girls discover that some things can hound you even beyond the grave.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
12 March 2013

As strange as it is, I kinda ended up really enjoying this episode of Are You Afraid Of The Dark? and I'll admit that it was a lot of fun to see a teeny tiny Mia Kirshner in the main role. She plays a young girl named Pam who, along with her cousin Amy (Jennifer Gula), spends some time exploring the attic space and finds a riding jacket that used to belong to her dead Aunt Dora. When Pam puts on the riding jacket she starts to speak and act as if she IS Dora and Amy gets pretty frightened as she learns of just what happened when Dora died and how she is to blame for some hungry, hungry hounds.

Directed by D. J. MacHale and written by Anne Appleton, "The Tale Of The Hungry Hounds" is nice and spooky almost from start to finish. It risks becoming completely preposterous once Pam becomes possessed by Dora, but it somehow manages to avoid such a fate.

Kirshner is good enough in her role, although she is inevitably very different from the woman that viewers have seen in recent years, and Gula acts convincingly scared as the strangeness starts to pile up and things get enjoyably tense in the final few minutes.

Others may not agree with me, but I think this is one of the better episodes from the first season and I had a lot of fun with it.