IMDb > "Amazing Stories" Without Diana (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Amazing Stories" Without Diana (1987)

« Prev | 43 of 45 Episodes | Next »

Will they see her again?

Author: sonnyschlaegel from muenster, germany
16 June 2007

George Willoughby has returned from WW II. There's an estrangement between him and his seven year old daughter, Diana. He apologizes to her for having been away so long. He had no choice. Shortly afterwards, Diana walks away and gets lost - probably in the nearby swamps. She can't be found. Decades later: Kathryn, George's wife, is very ill. She is going to die soon. She says she has lost all hope of ever seeing their daughter again. She thinks it was wrong to hope for such a long time since it made her think about Diana's and her misfortune too much, so life wasn't as good as it could have been; she should have faced reality sooner. Is there really no chance left to see Diana again?

This is a quite sentimental story. If you don't like 'tear jerkers' I think you'd better not watch it. I think it's comparable with 'Dorothy and Ben' (#1.18), also a quite sentimental story. The stories also have the same main theme: the afterlife. I liked 'Dorothy and Ben' better; I think it is more mysterious (Ben's telepathic communication with Dorothy) and has a little more suspense (will Dorothy wake up from her coma?). But I liked this one, too. I think the theme of the story (the afterlife) is very interesting. (But I don't say that the story is very profound; after all, it is only about 20 minutes long). I also liked the music. It's more conspicuous than most other scores in this series. It is by Georges Delerue. I liked his music for 'The Doll' (#1.22) better, but the music for this episode is still so good as to deserve mention.

All in all, a good episode in my opinion. I think if you liked 'Dorothy and Ben' you will probably like this one too and should consider watching it when you have the chance.

Saccharine....

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
24 June 2015

WWII ended only months ago and a father worries that his daughter doesn't understand why we was gone for many of her formative years. Considering he was fighting in the war, you can only assume his 8 year-old is a moron--else wise she would have known where he was, why he was gone and the sorts of things he was doing! During a picnic with her girl scout friends and her parents, the kid disappears. The police arrive and tell the parents that there's quicksand near the park (?????????????????????) and perhaps she wandered into it and died. Quicksand...right next to a park...right!!

A whole bunch of years suddenly pass and the parents are now oldsters. As she lies in bed waiting to die, the mother is saying that their past decades were a waste--due to false hope that their daughter would somehow return. They apparently wrote a book about all this and how craptastic their life was due to the disappearance of the kid. The husband, in response, whines about how he cannot live without her. Suddenly, there's a knock on the door...their little wayward brat has returned home--and she looks just like she did in 1946.

From my description, you can tell I didn't like it. The show was manipulative, saccharine and just didn't make any sense. Well made, technically, but as was too often the case with the series, it was apparently written by chimps...

Saccharine Beyond Belief

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
31 May 2014

Snotty little girl goes missing. She probably went down in the quicksand. Her family lives their lives in the shadow of her death, never quite being what they could be. This is a perfectly legitimate plot setup. We go way into the future. The father is now a doddering old guy and his wife is dying. They have run a school but no longer have the energy to keep things going. This is understandable. He is having trouble letting her go (as if he had any choice in the matter). Now we bring in a bunch of sentimental schlupp with the daughter showing up in her Girl Scout uniform, at the door. It gets really maudlin and predictable. It's a plot that has been done about a thousand times already.