IMDb > "Alias" Prophet Five (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Alias" Prophet Five (2005)

« Prev | 89 of 105 Episodes | Next »

Controversial

Author: gridoon2014
28 January 2010

Picking up right from where the cliffhanger of season 4 left off, "Prophet Five" begins with the car crash that leaves Sydney and Vaughn unconscious, right after he has told her that he is not exactly who she thinks he is. Vaughn is then taken prisoner by a group of armed men, but Sydney manages to escape. Back at APO headquarters, a CIA officer is investigating Vaughn's affairs; he's under suspicion of being a double agent. When Vaughn escapes his captors and calls Sydney for help, she is prepared to risk her life and professional reputation to help him, but she demands answers, so Vaughn tells her about a secret project that his father was working on, and how that led to both of them getting new identities to evade some mysterious killers. The best thing about "Prophet Five" is that it quickly builds thick new mythology that will fuel the rest of the season; the controversial choice of killing off a major character, however, leaves behind a huge gap that remains to be seen if it can be filled by the season's newcomers. *** out of 4.

Who is Vaughn and can he be trusted?

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
27 January 2012

The fifth and final season of 'Alias' kicks off where season four concluded with Vaughn telling Sydney that that isn't his real name seconds before they are involved in a car crash. They both survive but Vaughn appears to be badly injured; as Sydney regains consciousness she sees him being loaded on to an ambulance but something isn't right and she flees into a corn field as the 'ambulance-men' shoot at her. She manages to escape but Vaughn is whisked away on a helicopter. Back at APO she is integrated to find out what she knows about Vaughn by a senior CIA agent called Gordon Dean who has been investigating him. Vaughn meanwhile is being asked to decode the message on a scrap of paper; however he manages to escape before doing so and contacts Sydney. She meets him and he tells her his real name is André Michaux; he has been investigating a group known as Prophet Five, which his father was a member of. After retrieving a book from a house in Cape Town Sydney and Vaughn head off to hand it over to his contact but things go wrong and Vaughn is shot in the chest with an automatic weapon leading to one of the most surprising moments in the series.

This episode got the season off to a flying start with several surprises, the largest of which was Vaughn's shooting. As one would expect from 'Alias' there was plenty of action including a car crash, shootings and parachuting over a cliff while being shot at! It is hard to judge the story as this episode was just setting things up for the season; the big questions will clearly be 'what is Prophet Five?' and 'Who is Vaughn really?' As expected the acting from the main cast was solid. It was a brave move to kill off a major character; only time will tell whether removing a popular character from the series will work out for the best as far as the story goes... it has got me wanting to watch further episodes though.

A Story of a Joke !

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
27 October 2007

I love (Alias) there is no doubt about that unless we're talking about the seasons which came after 1 and 2 ! At the end of season 4 we knew the ugly surprise (not truth !) that (Vaughn) is a bad guy !, and then BOOOOM ! A car crash ! Some said it's just a joke between lovers and some said it's just a joke ! Now at the start of season 5 me and others are not having the highest hopes at all, because of that consecutive manipulation with all the characters, events and us ! At the beginning a kidnapping operation, then (Sydney) hiding from the evil shooters in a field of sugarcane !?, after that there is an interrogation with her from the American government about the man who used to be known as (Michael Vaughn) so the officer is asking (Sydney) : "you're Vaughn's lover who was going to be his wife and the protocol is saying that this is not a good thing !" or something like that which made me crying my head off : " What ?!! Are you kidding me ?!" because we've been watching this girl for quite some time working in the intelligence career with : her father, her mother, her half sister, her lover, and her half sister's father (Sloane) !! So don't you ever lecture me about any crappy protocol mister or otherwise blame the writers and I'll be with you in such public affair ! After a while we see (Vaughn) and I stopped wondering about his ever lasting light hairy beard and why did he never shave it from season 2 ? I think to look older in front of (Sydney) as her charisma is just more than what he got ? Anyway (Vaughn) is not (Vaughn); he is Mr. André Michaud !??, and when did he ever have the time to be that Michaud ?? I don't know! Now some of Alias's must Succeed mission to steal something like the whole last 4 -gone to boring- years and believe me I didn't catch the reason why we'll have this mission?, and for what?, but as always I shut my brain down and why not ? This is the most solid thing you'll ever have from this show : the action which was here just great, and I loved the part when she discovered in the middle of it (and by a mistaken phone call) that she is pregnant right before she and (Vaughn) jumped from a cliff. After that a small twist then (Vaughn) got killed ! OH MY GOD this girl must change her career as soon as possible considering that this is the second fiancé she loses because of the spaying business !!, and after a pretty farewell song you'll find out that the whole season will be about the dark past of dear (Vaughn) or whoever we knew under that name ! Who can believe this ? Maybe the teenagers as the only remaining audience of it, but I don't think they'll like it or be content with it ! And in the last scene we watched (Sydney) in the stupidest wig in history (she looked really too scary to a laughable extent !) in a bar asking about the woman who will tell us about the truth, but it doesn't need any woman to know and understand well after season 3 and 4 the hard truth that this show is losing it and turning into a silly joke by its recklessness, triteness and fooling with all what made it big once.