"Alfred Hitchcock Presents" One for the Road (1957)

« Prev | 62 of 268 Episodes | Next »

The Eternal Triangle

Author: Brian_o_Vretanos from United Kingdom
15 April 2007

Charles (John Baragrey) divides his time between his wife and his mistress. An arrangement that suits only one of the three...

Louise Platt plays the devoted wife, who would do anything for her husband, whilst Georgann Johnson is the attractive other woman, who naturally wants more - her second "tug of love" role in this series (see "Jonathan").

Charles is completely self-absorbed - he is not at all concerned with the feelings of either woman, and the fact that he provokes strong feelings in both (how strong we find out) is further evidence of his ability to deceive.

There are some great moments of suspense in this episode. The pace never lets up, and all three actors are excellent. Definitely worth a look.

Vintage Hitchcock

Author: dougdoepke from Claremont, USA
10 June 2010

Smug, suburban husband cheats on his long-suffering wife.

Vintage Hitchcock. It's a stellar cast, but I particularly like Louise Platt as the dowdy, put- upon wife. Her eyes are especially expressive. Watch her emotions run the gamut from abject devotion to hardened resolve, all in convincing fashion. Her character is the epitome of the wronged woman. Actress Platt had an odd, abbreviated career that peaked with the classic Stagecoach (1939), but she definitely had the talent as demonstrated here.

And what a perfect two-timing louse Baragrey makes. There's enough oil in his performance to create a major spill. Wondering how poetic justice will eventually deal with his smug self- absorption is worth waiting for. And Georgeann Johnson as the blonde "other woman" creates a surprisingly sympathetic character who also believes in one last chance.

Anyway, in my book, this is classic 50's Hitchcock, with its suggestion of criminal potential among non-criminal types as mundane as a suburban family. It's an episode that may also make you think twice about that last cup of coffee.

(In passing—if you were the law, how would you apportion guilt. Seems to me like it's something of a legal conundrum, given the facts of who did what.)

Not the Most Pleasant Trio

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
14 June 2013

I couldn't stand any of the characters and didn't really care what happened to any of them. The husband is about as insensitive and smug as anyone can be under the circumstances. The wife is neurotic and fragile and should enlist our sympathy. I guess as the wronged woman, she is the most sympathetic. The "other" woman is pretty and needy. She fails to see what a jackass she has hooked up with. Anyway, the formula has been set and the events play themselves out. Poison must have been readily available in the fifties because those plotting murder don't seem to have much trouble getting their hands on it. Nevertheless, what is somewhat engaging is the dramatic irony involved in watching the guy confidently manipulate his situation to the exclusion of the two women in his life. Our disgust for him sort of keeps us involved.

Rehearsal of the SUSPICION poisoning scene—from the cinema's chief toxicologist

Author: Cristi_Ciopron from CGSM, Soseaua Nationala 49
24 August 2009

This episode is recommended, if only to those avid for plays with characters named Marcia, Beryl and Charles ….

In this quite special, quite apart episode, daddy Hitchcock amused himself, gently, by setting a rehearsal of a scene he directed with full brio more than 15 yrs before ….

Add to this that daddy Hitchcock was our chief toxicologist. (As a medical student, I gave a pretty mediocre exam of toxicology, a pretty messed one, but I cherish this science notwithstanding ….) I leave for a future entry the inquiry as to how many Hitchcock characters get it by poisons …. ONE FOR THE ROAD is a rehearsal of the famous SUSPICION climax, when Grant brings the glass of poisoned milk …. That fatal glass, that deadly milk, those dreaded steps … . Another play of three performers, the actors being John Baragrey, Georgann Johnson and Louise Platt; poor Baragrey is enormously dis-likable, his character behaves like an oily jerk. In Hitchcock's collection of crooked jokes and pranks, this is straight romance.

Charles Hendrix cheats his wife Marcia with his lover Beryl Abbott; both women are rather bland and homely, with Beryl, the blonde, being a bit cuter.

Now Hendrix is a good name for a family; Marcia, for a bland wife, and Beryl—for a blonde, slightly slutty mistress.

The role of the finally betrayed mistress, Beryl Abbott, is interesting; and the blonde babe delivers a nice performance. Perhaps her beauty, and the sharp cinematography, give this episode some nasty romance, make it more touching than usually. A jealous wife, Marcia Hendrix, tries to poison her rival, Beryl, by mixing the sugar with poison; then she finds out that her husband dropped by his mistress sooner than she expected, and so she goes to warn the lovers or check the results. Adultery, deceit and lies are poison. But we like Beryl.

On the pretty intro, daddy Hitchcock plays the captive audience, in an allegorical posture.

Dear pals, this addictive TV series amazes me on and on, it's so sharp and straight likable. I like both its sharp, polished look, and its aspect of laboratory, a toxicology laboratory where daddy Hitchcock could freely experiment and test his poisons.