"Adam-12" Log 12: He Was Trying to Kill Me (1969)

« Prev | 23 of 174 Episodes | Next »

A Powerful Episode, Adam 12 at Its Best

Author: verbusen from Fahaheel, Kuwait
3 May 2007

A Powerful Episode, Adam 12 at Its Best, thats how I would summarize what I just watched. The synopsis is inaccurate by the way, the baby is not dead but one could just assume it could have happened with a 6 year old to care for it, that was just way too real for 1968 TV. Can I confess that at times Adam 12 makes me cry? Well it does, probably because of my own past but I hate to see anyone as sweet and innocent as the girl in this episode who is to fend for herself with no adult to care or feed her and on top of that, has to care for a baby as well. I know the feelings the girl had also for her mother, I unfortunately was visited by the police as a child in an utterly neglected household and I would always fear losing my mother just like the little girl does. Yes, if you thought Adam 12 was a corny Jack Webb vehicle that was out of date being made 40 years ago, I suggest you look at some of the recent headlines where the 2 year old lives for days alone in the house until Police arrive. Like they say in this episode "how can 3 adults not care for those kids?" Its amazing but its very true. In my case my mother died when I was 13 and I lived with my older half brother (my father could'nt support me, he was a wreck as well at that time). It was hell up until that time, insanity comes to mind if I'm looking for a word, just like the mother in this episode seems insane. This stuff does happen, and Adam 12 had the guts to tell it in a very powerful way not just for its time, 1968, but within a half hour format. This show should have won several Emmies, its a shame that it didn't.