IMDb > War (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
War

War More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 17: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Disappointing

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
24 December 2007

Jason Statham takes on Jet Li. Statham plays a federal agent on a big case. When Li blows into the middle of it all hell breaks loose. Statham's partner believes he's killed Li, but Li has survived and he kills the partner and his family to cover his tracks. Statham knows who's behind it and he begins to hunt down Li. Meanwhile Li is playing his own game involving the various Asian criminal organizations. Sub-par as Statham and Li movies movies go this is a just okay action thriller thats has a good many twists and turns none of which add up to much.Frankly even by mindless action movie standards its pretty crappy.All that the film really has is a good number of action sequences, however they are so blandly filmed, despite Corey Yuen's choreography that they aren't as exciting as they should be. Definitely wait for cable.

good idea gone bad

Author: Shane_0 from Australia
21 October 2007

good idea gone bad....how can they get two great actors put them together in an so called action movie and turn out this crap......... Jet Li and Jason Statham should hang there head in shame a this piece of crap................

i repeat CRAP CRAP CRAP............yes thats right CRAP........

no fights......no action just 2 hours of dribble...the only action i saw was from my mate swearing his head off at the movie for being so crap..............very very disappointing......i only give it 3/10 because of the hot chick that hands jet li a brief case full of money then gets naked i give her a 10/10........i can't believe that i wasted my time and money on this piece of CRAP....there i said it again CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What happened?

Author: tiger86-2 from Bulgaria
25 September 2007

I just saw the movie and I cant believe it is what it is. I mean I never thought I cold rank a Jet Li movie with less than 6/10. But it happened. Why? What is wrong with "War"? I will tell you what is wrong. Everything. The story is pointless. The acting is bad. There is no more than 5 minutes if fighting. There is really no reason to waste time with this movie.

The story is simple. It is not great but it is good enough for a great action movie. But it is completely ruined by the screenplay. The worst screenplay I saw this year. And there is the worst twist that ever appeared in a movie. I will not tell you what is this twist because I do not want to spoil it but you should be warned.

The acting... Jason Statham acts like a tree. Even The Rock is better actor than him. But this is not a problem. The huge disappointment here is Jet Li. After seeing his great performances in "Unleashed", "Hero" and "Fearless" I knew that he is a really good actor. But in "War" it seems that he does not care about his character. He actually does not act. I wonder why he even accepted that role. I think even he does not know.

Now I will talk about the action. I didn't like it. There are gunfights. Many gunfights but they are not great. And I DID NOT WANT TO SEE GUNFIGHTS. There is Corey Yuen as a fight choreographer and there is Jet Li in the leading role. I expected martial arts fights. But there are only three fight sequences with Jet Li and they are no more than one minute. This is a crime. You hire the greatest movie fighter ever and one of the greatest fight choreographers but you do not allow them to show what they can do! Atwel should be killed for that.

And that is it. The movie is terrible. 3/10

Great Until The End

Author: erostew from Canada
23 September 2007

This movie started out at a furious pace and pretty much kept it up to the end. And I enjoyed it very much until the end. The stunts were great. The chase scenes were great. Pretty much everything was great. Until the end.

And the twist ending kind of sucked. I didn't find it believable. And honestly I don't think Statham and Li found it very believable either. That was the only part of the movie that I thought either of them did a less than decent job. I believe that the twist ending was an unnecessary complication and the movie would have been better with a more "standard" ending. Sometimes less is more.

As you would probably expect, the script was heavy on action and light on meaningful dialogue. Perhaps the back-story of Rogue could have been a bit clearer. Not that that made a difference to the film. It was after all an action movie. Cinematography was good and overall the entire look of the movie was vivid and colourful.

The only minor gripe I had was with the wardrobe. Why didn't the FBI guys look like FBI guys? It looked kind of like they changed the script to make them FBI after the wardrobe was already done, and originally they were supposed to be part of some other agency.

Performances by Statham and Li were overall good. I've seen both of them show more range in other films but they did just fine with what they had to work with. There just wasn't anything in the script that required them to do much except fight. It was nice to see Luis Guzman again. He always does a great job with even small parts. Saul Rubinek was good in the tiny part that he had. I was surprised that his part was so small considering he had fairly high billing. Devon Aoki was good, although she didn't seem entirely comfortable in the role. John Lone was good. Ryo Ishibashi was great, one of the high points of the movie.

It is extremely graphically violent and has a significant amount of nudity. I personally don't find it offensive but it is definitely not a family movie, so be warned.

Overall it is certainly worth seeing, even with my disappointment at the ending.

Surprisingly disappointing

Author: funky_hamsta from United Kingdom
23 September 2007

The bravado surrounding this movie was the usual blend of short, action-crammed trailers and moody looking lead poses.

Unfortunately, the movie fails to deliver on so many levels except the entirely predictable ones.

The clichéd cop interactions, the naff fight scenes and classic Jap gang pleasantries of hits against rivals, all wrapped up in an unengaging plot line.

Jet Li really doesn't impress as he has done in other movies, and Jason Statham's attempts at acting are becoming tiresome, he should certainly stick to keeping his mouth shut and kicking people's behinds. They even introduce yet another Transporter-esquire axe-dodging scene - really nothing new.

No character really convinces you to care about their plight nor did I end up giving a monkeys about who rang victorious in the end - inevitable as it all was anyway.

There are far batter action movies out there - this is really an average way to pass the time.

Another excellent film

Author: dcrew220 from Canada
31 August 2007

Another great film from these 2.

Back together after "One" (which is one of my favourite Jet Li films ever), this FBI thriller packs a punch.

Jet Li is one of the greatest Martial Artists of all time. Jason Statham seems right up there with him. The 2 of them have these cold expressionless way of acting that I always enjoy. You want them to be good guys, but you are never surprised when they cross the line - almost Han Solo like (but this movie has no wookies).

I won't re-summarize the plot here, but I will say that the action is amazing and the story won't let you down. A summer Blockbuster this is not, but well worth the $10 to catch it in the theater.

D HTTP://testosterone-zone.com

Not As Advertised, Very Disappointing!

Author: JoeSko from Chicago, IL
14 September 2007

First let me start off by saying that I've seen every single Jet Li movie ever made. All the way back to his days of the Shaolin Temple up to his most recent film, Fearless. Jet has had a lot of hit and miss movie's lately with the stupid rappers, but his Martial Art prowess always saved the day. I am no rookie when it comes to Jet Li and the martial art movie scene, believe me. And ever since I saw the Transporter, I've been a big fan of Jason Statham and know he's been studying martial arts more and more especially since he starred in the movie The One alongside none other then Jet Li, where they first got the idea to do a movie like this together.

So as you can see, my expectations for this movie were through the roof! It was the movie I've been waiting for since The One was made. I couldn't wait to see Jet and Jason go toe to toe in an all out martial arts bonanza. At least, that's what the history of these 2 and the previews would have you to believe to expect....

Unfortunately, this was not the case at all. You'd be hard pressed to find any sort of martial arts action in this film at all. This was more like an action/cop drama with sprinkles of kicks and punches and a little sword fight. Bah! Just terrible marketing in my opinion. Jet Li should not be wasting his time trying to act first of all, since you could barely understand half the lines he utters in the first place...

The first hour is all story, no fighting whatsoever, then you'll get a quick little dose of what might be something, only to end in gunfire and bullets. WHERE'S THE MARTIAL ARTS???? This movie keeps you hanging on the great story and keeps you hoping that there will be a huge pay-off fight scene in the end between Jet and Jason that will make up for all this waiting finally pay-off.

2 words, It Doesn't! The end fight is over quicker then you can blink and involves no heavy hand to hand fighting techniques that make Jet and Jason so awesome to watch...Instead we're forced to watch a hammer vs a shovel...LAME! If you're going into this movie expecting a martial arts fighting blow-out, you'll be sorely, sorely disappointed. If you just want to take it for what its worth, a stylized action/drama then you'll be happy. I for one, WAS NOT and will not be watching this waste of a great idea ever again.

Tended to Unravel Towards the End

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
29 October 2015

FBI Agent "Jack Crawford" (Jason Statham) is obsessed with finding the assassin named "Rogue" (Jet Li) who killed his partner "Tom Lone" (Terry Chen) along with Lone's wife and child. His obsession is so severe that it eventually results in the breakup of his own marriage. However, as fate would have it the assassin just happens to reappear in San Francisco several years afterward at the same time that a war breaks out between the Japanese Yakuza and one of the Chinese Triads. In no time Jack Crawford has his hands full as the body toll rises and Rogue begins appearing—and then disappearing—like a ghost. At any rate, rather than reveal any more I will just say that I thought that this was an outstanding movie—at least for the most part. Unfortunately, the director (Phillip G. Atwell) apparently got carried away and it really tended to unravel towards the end. As a result, instead of ranking this movie quite high, I have to downgrade this film to just slightly above average.

Jet Li vs Jason Statham

Author: kai ringler from United States
3 April 2009

Well i wasn't quite sure what to expect from this one,, except a lot of action,, which there was , so i was not disappointed on that one,, but come on how many plot twists can the average viewer endure,, this one had so darn many i think 4 altogether, it was very hard to watch,, i kept sitting there watching it thinking okay no i get it,, then bam,, hit me over the head with another plot twist,, have to watch it some other time so maybe i can actually get it,, the action was great,, Statham's acting OK,,, good watching Jet Li do battle,, never was much of a Jet Li fan, but i kinda like em,, and may have to go back into the archives and watch a few of his movies.. the movie was fast paced,, lot's of hot women for eye candy,, hot cars,, nice guns,, it was a decent story of revenge,, but like i said earlier all of the plot twists really brought me down.

Hollywood

Author: newday98074 from United States
14 November 2007

Perhaps War could have been better, even good. But the director was indifferent to so many little things throughout that they end up bringing a falsity to the entire project. Examples: A house has just been burned. The fire truck is still on site. But there is no water dripping from the eaves or even dampening the floor, and no smoke whatsoever. People walk through the house with no concern. Example: Japanese who speak limited English often speak in English to each other even when under considerable stress. Example: The daughter of the Yakuza chief is sent to the US to run the show. Besides the fact that she is a very poor actor, she easily cows high ranking members of the Yakuza clan despite no personal bodyguard. Example: The most dangerous man alive is guarded by only two men leading to his escape. Example: An "FBI" agent has a cultived half beard all the time, never reports to a superior or apparently has any controls placed on his actions. Not too common in that organization. Example: FBI personnel firing machine guns into an open street with no warning or need. In general the script, acting, shot selection and continuity are poor, driven by what comes next instead of natural occurrences. This really is a bad movie, probably thrown together to offer the two stars in a platform they both could accept. Definitely not worth the time.