IMDb > War (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
War

War More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

An average action film

Author: alindsay-al from United Kingdom
20 May 2016

I like jason statham and jet li so I thought I would watch this film and to be honest this average film is really what to expect. The premise sees an fbi agent on the hunt for an assassin who killed his partner. Jet li plays rogue the assassin and he is easily the most interesting character in this film. He is great in the action scenes bringing a believability to the character. He also develops as the character progresses and his relationship with statham works. Jason statham plays the typical cop in this film but it works for this film because of his performance and the added depth to his character. Unfortunately, none of the other characters in this film have any depth to them and are just filling screen time. The story has a decent revenge plot that is simple but it does work. It also has a great twist towards the end of the film. However, there is cliché mafia things that take up a considerable amount of time and just comes across as boring. The script has no depth to it, the drama for the most part is weak and there isn't any well done humour in the film. The style has some good well done action scenes but the pacing of this film is pretty bad and makes this film drag. Overall this is an average film that is only worth a watch if your a fan of either of the main actors.

Not what I expected from movie with Jet Li

Author: kurciasbezdalas from Lithuania
6 October 2008

When I'm watching movie with Jet Li I'm expecting to see some well choreographed fighting scenes. I've read some other comments about this film and they were saying that in this movie there is a lot of fighting scenes. Actually there almost were no fighting scenes. There were few fights but they were to short and not very impressive compare to other Jet Li's films. There were also few shoot-out scenes and car chases which were pretty impressive but also too short. I was pretty disappointed. But movie itself was pretty good. I liked the way it was directed and the plot was pretty interesting. If there were more action it would be a perfect action film. So if you are looking for a good action film, this may not be a best choice but still you should check it out.

Gritty, violent and smart...Kinda.

Author: Film Chaser from Idaho
1 October 2008

War took me by surprise. I've heard many bad things about it and considered not watching it. But, I'm glad I did. I can agree with some of the the criticism about this film, but, I still suggest seeing it anyway. Especially if you are a fan of Jet Lee or Jason Statham.

Remember before watching this that it is a *Crime Thriller*, not a kung fu action film. It reminds me of Kinji Fukasaku's 'Battles Without Honor and Humanity' or 'Yakuza Papers'. It is very violent, intense and story driven. The story had me hanging on until the end and does that very well. The fighting in it isn't long and elaborate. But, is quick and realistic.

I was very impressed by both Jet and Jason. I've never seen Jet Lee in such a cold and violent role. Likewise I haven't seen a Statham film that showed his acting skills as this one does.

What was really disappointing about this film is the ending. There is such fantastic build up, but, then the climax defeats the film's purpose. It makes no sense whatsoever. All character development is discarded completely.

In defense of the film I will say this: It was planed as a trilogy. They want to make a prequel and sequel revolving around Rogue. If they do make these films it would resolve a lot of issues that I have with the film. If they can pull of some thing like this one(less the ending) I would really like to see it.

All in all, I really liked it so 8/10 stars.

Not what I expected at first.

Author: pike145 from South Africa
1 September 2008

First of I thought war was a typical action movie. I was expecting Jason Statham to be a washed up drone who wasted most his life hunting a so called fable assassin who killed his family and Jet lee a detective from Hong Kong seeking the same assassin they have to work together and find him kinda story! Instead I got this movie where Jason Statham plays an F.B.I. Agent and Jet lee plays an assassin he's after. The movie was brilliant in many ways until the end which I felt was very disappointing and not very plausible. The Action was great, The story was good, the plot and twists were very unexpected but the end was just not great. It really didn't bode so well with the story I felt it could of been better in fact the whole movie is awesome but really cruddy ending. It could of been better otherwise War is a great movie!

Were they out of film reel? Such a bad ending...

Author: kozansahin from Istanbul, Turkey
21 August 2008

I checked this as a spoiler but actually it is not.

So those of you who hasn't see the movie yet, take this as a warning if you're like me and considering a movie with an unsatisfying ending, a bad movie.

I give 4 out of 10 to this movie, because i think, it is inexcusable to make such a terrible ending for any kind of dramatic art, no matter whether it's an ordinary easy-to-watch action film or a trial of a genuine piece of art.

I can't think of another explanation for such a messed-up ending but that there wasn't left any film for shooting the final scene.

It's just making this film a real waste of time. If they would have a better ending, i would have given 5,5 out of 10.

Disappointment...

Author: bragonfly from Norway
2 June 2008

Personally, I think this movie was utterly disappointing.

The action scenes were what is expected from a pure action movie, but its been a while since I've seen/heard a thinner storyline (EVEN for an action movie)...

A film starring BOTH Jet Li and Jason Statham, 2 of my favorite modern-day actors within the action-genre, could have been so much better, I mean to go from movies like "Hero"/"Kiss of the dragon" or "Crank"/"Revolver" to this is a downright shame.

Then again, its not much they can personally do about a horrible script and mediocre supporting cast members.

The one who did OK in the supporting role were Devon Aoki, to me it felt like most of the movies budget went to pay these 3 main characters...

I haven't lost any faith in the acting skill of the stated actors, but hope to see them in more entertaining roles in the future.

Jet Li didn't use wires in this one

Author: DJAkin (Donjakin1988@gmail.com) from AZ
17 January 2008

Perhaps wires would have saved it. Sure, there were a few good scenes. But this movie dragged. Jet Li didn't talk to much and never broke a sweat or seemed challenged in ANY scene in which he fought. The theme of the movie is this: Man is a cop and a thug kills his partner and the rest of the movie is about getting revenge! That was really it. There was a great cameo by the guy from Fraiser and Luis Goodman was a good side character. However, if you're expecting to see The Transporter VS The Hero, then go rent BOTH of those movies separately and then make them fight. Because you will not get much of a fight in this movie. This is no Transporter and the Jet Li mauxey is not really there. However, if you want to see some funny scenes in which Jet Li smirks, this is the movie for you. Scott Adkins is the new Jet Li anyway.

There's nothing new under the sun...

Author: Daniel Barnes from Canada
17 January 2008

... and that cliché is especially true of action films. That doesn't mean, however, that there are no enjoyable action films being made. "War" succeeds in being a darn good action film without ever descending into the realm of "purely insulting to the viewer" (if that's what you're after, I'd recommend the stunningly awful "Shoot 'Em Up").

There are gangs, guns, chasing, mayhem, and a great deal of people hurting other people - everything you could want in an action film. Statham and Li are, as always, delightful. The action scenes are well put together and recall the time before gratuitous wire stunts and MTV-brand "shakey-cam". All in all, "War" is an excellent way to enjoy a standard action film premise in a new way.

I do not understand all the bad reviews.

Author: Jay Harris (sirbossman6969@yahoo.com) from United States
4 January 2008

When I go see a film or rent a film, starring 2 action stars who have appeared in films having lots of violence in them, with stories that have been done since time & film began, I do not expect a really good film with excellent acting. Jason Stratham & Jet Li are not known for there acting abilities,

The story here is a typical one hero cop, goes after the killer of his partner & his family..

Here however we do have a surprise ending, which was not that unexpected.

I happen to like these 2 performers, Here like other films they appeared in,they somewhat pleased me.

The production credits were OK as well.

It was worth the $ 1,00 charge (my Netflix plan) cost.

ratings **1/2 (out of 4) 73 (out of 100) IMDb 6 (out of 10)

For Lovers of Violence Only

Author: gradyharp from United States
3 January 2008

WAR sets up the viewer with promises (Jason Statham, Jet Li in his first movie as a straight actor i.e. post-martial arts), but for the most part those promises are not delivered. What is put on the screen for what seems like an endless evening is more killing with guns, knives, fire, explosions, and every other kind of death device imaginable delivered by minimal story and substandard acting. It is loud, gory, and boring - until the final few minutes when the story actually gains a plot.

Lee Anthony Smith and Gregory J. Bradley came up with a minimal tale taking place in San Francisco, a rivalry between a Chinese gang and a Japanese gang, peppered by revenge, contraband goods, and a hefty dose of non-balletic fighting. Jason Statham sleepwalks his way through his role as FBI agent Jack Crawford with an attitude and a grudge, assisted by his partner Special Agent Wick (given a nice turn by Mathew St. Patrick of 'Six Feet Under') and Benny (the always fine character actor Luis Guzmán, even here!). The head of the wealthy Chang gang (John Lone of 'The Last Emperor') is obtaining a prize antiquity from Japan's Shiro Yanagawa (Ryo Ishibashi) and gang and Rogue (Jet Li) is the agent. After what seems like hours of car chases, motorcycle chases, constant killing, beheadings, sleazy tearoom scenes, etc the identity of the Rogue (apparently much changed by multiple plastic surgeons who likewise loose their lives...) is made clear - a fact that provides some answers to Agent Jack's grumpy personality.

This is a film without a core and one that is easy to understand its box office failure. And unless the viewer is in need of a 103 minutes of steady violence, this film is a must miss - even for fans of Statham and Li. Grady Harp,